Cats in flats

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
bagpuss1967
New Cat Chatter

Cats in flats

Post by bagpuss1967 »

I'm looking to adopt a couple of cats but I'm living in an upstairs flat so they wouldn't be going outside. Is this fair to cats, I'm worried I'll be making them unhappy by keeping them in. I also have a veranda which is netted to keep out birds so is this going to be dangerous or give them a chanc to be outdoors. Thanks in advance
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cats in flats

Post by destinyscheeks »

I totally hear you about not giving them a chance but tbh, there are some cats which dont like the big outdoors so its best that you try to get an indoor cat.

Take your time finding one - it took me way over 5 visits to different shelters and weeks of looking online/sending messages to find King Tobias Warrior. Its been less then a week and he acts like hes been here for months lol.

All the best!
bagpuss1967
New Cat Chatter

Post by bagpuss1967 »

Thank you for the reply. I'm contacting a few, may end up with 2 to keep each other company so may take a while as you say lol
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by destinyscheeks »

The general consensus is that if you work M-F or are out the house alot, its good to get two kittens so they have someone to play with and in turn, they wont revert to taking out their playfulness on your couch/curtains haha.

I visited a no of different rescue centres and played with cats of all ages - from 3 months old to adults. By doing this, I was able to decide what type of cat I wanted and what age - I wanted a friendly cat that wasnt afraid and no younger then 6 months old. Why? Because kittens are too playful (for me personally) and I am furniture protective (Ive just moved house so most of my furniture is brand new)

2 weeks ago I went again and found a 1 year old boy - hes been here less then a week and has settled in very well. Each cat has its one personality but I feel very blessed that weeks of searching (and patience) has brought me to my boy (well, they say that cats choose you!)

I wish you all the best with your endeavours. I hope you truly find the perfect cat and you have many wonderful years together x