First time rehoming a cat - a little overwhelmed HELP

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

First time rehoming a cat - a little overwhelmed HELP

Post by destinyscheeks »

Ive been reading a heck of a lot on this site over the past few weeks in anticipation for rehoming my boy but decided to join as I have a few pressing questions.

I adopted a 1 year old FIV+ BSH on Wed 16th of this month :mrgreen: . This is the first time Ive ever owned a cat!

Ive been doing ALOT of research so far regarding the best food, litter etc - Id really some advise on the below and appreciate your time to read it (and taking the time to reply!) I would like confirmation (to some degree) that what Im doing is fine

Water/food - Ive been mixing water with each of his meals and I feed him 3 trays of Applaws Cat Pâté or 1 carton of Bozita Chunks (separate it into 2 meals) but someone told me that mixing water too often into his meals may cause him to feel dehydrated. Should I cut down? He wont drink water at all and I dont want to give him cats milk as my research suggests its very fatty...

Litter - I use Catsan Hygiene Litter (alot of cat owners mentioned this litter) but as he is drinking so much with his food, the bottom of the tray is very wet and his poops are really runny (and boy oh boy what a smell haha!) Ive had to fully replace the litter tray twice and it hasnt even been a week! I know that cats have a very strong smell and the litter goes off colour when he pees so I feel like I should change it more often because when it goes off colour, it looks dirty to me.

He licks himself ALOT and Im worried about too much hair getting in his mouth - is this normal?

He is constantly purring and I feel like hes always hungry but I dont want to feed him all the time in fear he gets overweight. Why is he constantly purring?

I guess I just want reassurance that what Im doing/his behaviour is normal. Ive never owned a pet before so I dont know if Im just being an over concerned mum or if there is a concern for worry.

Id like to add that hes getting his 2nd vaccination this Wed 23rd.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: First time rehoming a cat - a little overwhelmed HELP

Post by bobbys girl »

Hello there and welcome to CC. First of all, well done for adopting your boy, not everyone would adopt a FIV+ cat.

The place where you got him - did they give you any advise?

Does he get access to the outdoors? We were worried that Thomas was not drinking enough - we never saw him drink from a bowl in the house. But then we saw him drinking from the pond and puddles in the drive. He just doesn't like our tap water (I can't blame him, it is pretty bad). If he is getting water form the garden I wouldn't worry about extra in his food.

I empty and re-fill the litter trays every day and disinfect them once a week.

I'm not sure about grooming/overgrooming, but I'm sure someone here does.

As for purring - cats purr for all sorts of reasons. Thomas purrs quite often (he sounds like a little tractor) If I fed him when he purred he would be like a house-end! Gracie IS like a house-end and she seldom purrs (for me anyway).

Perhaps he is just happy to be in his new home. What is his name?

Bobby is my special FIV+ boy. I do worry about him more than the others, but I shouldn't. He is a fine, strong cat and may outlive us all!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I use a natural clumping litter called Natures Calling, made from the inside of walnut shells, ground up fine, for my two cats - I remove the clumps and lumps when I spot them - as the litter tray is lidded a scattering of litter is the usual sign rather than any smell - and dispose of them on my stove when lit, or in a bin outside when it isn't

I never change the whole tray - I just top up when it starts to run low, and once a week tip the litter out to clean the tray before putting it back in - this is very economical and doesn't give me tons of litter to dispose of, which would be a huge problem when I already have bags of ash every fortnight

any clumping litter can be used in this way, but the secret is a big deep tray and enough litter to allow digging and burial - a minimum depth of 10cm I would say
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi there and welcome!

And good on you for adopting this boy :)

Edit - I've overlapped with Bobbys girl and Kay who've already given good advice.

He sounds very happy with you already, and that's why he's always purring. He's not asking you for food; he's just expressing his appreciation. I'm surmising that his life hasn't been terribly stable up till now, and that he can't believe his luck in finding a loving home. It reminds me of an old tomcat of mine, who was getting on a bit and when feral, started to approach me for food. He needed neutering and had a great running abscess on his backside; I managed to get him to the vet, although I wasn't sure if he'd speak to me ever again. I was prepared for him to go on being an outdoor cat but shortly afterwards he moved in - and discovered my bed. Great roaring purrs. This, he said, was luxury! For the rest of his life, when he got on that bed - he purred!

As to the water - he'll drink, but probably when you don't see him. I wouldn't worry about that. Just leave a bowl of fresh water down, and he'll use it when he needs to. Some cats do need to take extra water with their food, in cases of constipation for instance, but he's not constipated, and personally I wouldn't bother. Those foods are high end brands, I believe, and other people on here will have more knowledge than me; I don't know whether the quantity is right for a daily amount but others will be able to advise. I'm one of the 'leave the biscuits down and feed wet food in the evening' merchants and they all muck in together. Could also be, that his stomach's adapting itself to his new gourmet diet; I should think he's been used to more basic brands of food in the past, and that's why you're seeing runny motions. But he will adapt. He's a lucky boy!

Now, the tray, and yes, you're very right - once the urine's coloured the fresh litter, it wants taking out asap, along with the solids (leaving the water out of his food may help with his runny stools too.) Does the litter clump? My personal preference is for a clumping fuller's earth litter (Sainsbury's ultra-clumping) because then you can see what you're dealing with. The downside of this is that you have to chip the damn stuff out of the tray as it sets like concrete! Other people prefer something less fierce, or that woodbased stuff. I like to put a good depth of litter in. But sounds like he's happy with the litter you're using and that's what matters.

I think you sound to be doing very well with him and there's clearly a strong bond between you already, congrats, and hope you both have many happy years ahead of you :D
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by destinyscheeks »

@Bobbys Girl
I adopted him from Pets Protection in East Midlands. They had him in shelter for 2 weeks before I adopted him and were feeding him Purina One biscuits in the morning and Felix/whiskers wet food in the afternoon. The results from my thorough research concluded that these are not the best foods for cats, thats why I have changed his diet to Applaws Cat Pâté/Bozita Chunks. I also feed him beaphar Vit-Bits as a replacement to dry food.

They told me that he should remain indoors as he is FIV+ but Ive also purchased a leash, and I plan to, in a few weeks, get him to get used to the lease, then take him in my back garden to see whether he truly is an indoor or outdoor cat. I don’t want to keep him indoors if he wants to go outdoors but so far, he hasn’t shown any interest in going outdoors.

I live in a 3 bed detached house so I have two litter trays for him - one downstairs and one upstairs. Its very reassuring to hear that you clean it daily - I guess its down to each individual/cat.

Sorry but whats a house-end haha

His name? King Tobias Warrior :D :D :D

And thats one of the reasons I decided to adopt him - I looked at many other cats but KTW and I bonded instantly. He felt strong, warming and friendly. He wasnt afraid of me at all and loved stroking his cheeks against my legs/hands etc. He even kissed me! I was concerned about the kitty aids but he looks and behaves like a normal cat and I knew if I didn’t adopt him, someone else would and I would of been gutted!

@Kay
I was thinking of topping it up too but I decided against it - each to their own, but Id rather clean it all out i.e. dump the litter, clean the tray and give him a fresh litter then mix fresh litter with old. But maybe that may change - Ive already used half of the 10L clumping tray and he’s only been here since Wed - doh!

Ive noticed the more I put in the tray, the better - so maybe I will fill it up even more as so far, Ive been putting in about 2-3cm so far.

@ Lilith
OMG - reading your response nearly bought me to tears! I have a lot of friends - past/present cat owners - who have been advising me and they all more or less echo what you said - about him being really happy here.

He hasn’t taken to the bowls of water I leave around the house, thats why Ive been mixing it in his wet food and hes an indoor cat so I know he wont be getting water from anywhere else unless I mix it into his food. But now Im thinking - wet food has a high % in moisture so maybe its not necessary for me to do that in each of his meals - maybe I should just do it once a day? What do you think?

I was thinking that too (about the drastic change in diet/his runny poops): I was initially going to wean him into it, but he took to the high end food like a champ (I knew he would coz it smells SO MUCH BETTER then the canned Felix/Whiskers! Even I was tempted to eat it LMAO)

He’s been sleeping on my bed at night with me - he jumps onto the bed, brings his face right up to mine and started kneading, then eventually he curls into a ball and naps - so cute! I bought him a scratching post which he loves to sleep on but oddly enough, he barely scratches. I also got him a few toys - when he plays with it, he gets very aggressive (not towards me but when he’s playing) - then he seems to be very paranoid/weary of his surroundings. Is this normal? I don’t want him to be a couch potato LOL, but it also kinda leaves me a bit paranoid that he might attack me (even though he has never shown any form of aggressive behaviour towards me)

Im not 100% sure what you mean when you say ‘does the litter clump’ - it attaches to his hard poops and with his pee, it just changes colour. Is this what its supposed to do?
I scoop the poop once he’s done it in the tray (I dont want it to accidentally get on his paws if I dont attend to it ASAP but Im still trying to get used to the smell haha) and when he pees, i just move the litter around the box so it doesn’t look dirty but if it gets really wet at the bottom of the tray, I throw out the litter, clean the tray and add some fresh litter. I should really trial/test other ones in case theres one I/he prefers.

PS: thank you so much for the warm welcome! So glad I finally decided to join!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Bless him! Sounds like it was love at first sight with you two!

Yes, a lot of young cats will kick hell out of their toys and get a bit overexcited and play at being 'spooked' - my youngest is 4 and still pretends to freak out at the sight of me, arching and dancing crabwise; with some, when they're in this mood, it isn't a good idea to do things like wiggling your fingers or feet at them, as they may think this is 'prey' (my cat Molly is one of these) but KTW sounds like a gentle boy who'll just take it out on his toys.

Personally I really wouldn't worry about his food and water; I'd just feed them separately; he'll know about the water bowl by now but that's just my personal view; it's not writ in stone and it's up to you :)

The litter I use 'clumps' - it does just that, like a splash of water in cement; I lift the lump out and that's it, but with less 'clumping' litters I'd treat the urine stained litter just like the stools; I'd take it all out as the smell of urine is just as bad, if not worse, than stools, and can contaminate the whole tray.

That's so lovely, to hear that he already sleeps on your bed; some cats are terrified at first and need a hiding place and lots of understanding; he sounds a real character and charmer, do keep updating :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

destinyscheeks wrote:Sorry but whats a house-end haha
A house- end is something BIG and solid - like Gracie's bum! :lol: Sorry Grace.

Some (a few) cats take to a harness, I tried Bob with one - BIG mistake! If your garden is secure he may be happy just to mooch about there.

When we first had Willow we kept her in. But with a second cat, Purdy and then Grace and Tom (almost together) it became impossible. Willow doesn't like the 'great outdoors' too much. She will go for a wander then it's back in to a comfy seat. If I had to keep Bobby in one or both of us would go crazy! He loves being outside and has his routine. Breakfast and a long lie in, lunch and a little stroll around the premises. Then PM he goes out on the prowl - any time between 4 PM and 2AM. I don't like it and I worry about him but he is very happy with the arrangement and complains loudly when he wants out. :roll:

It sounds as if you and KTW are going to be just fine. He is a lucky boy to have found you.
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by destinyscheeks »

@ Lilith
It really was love at first site haha!

Whats really interesting is that he never used to scratch until I got him the post: he literally just tried scratching my sofa bed but I pushed him off. Now Im wondering whether Im encouraging him to scratch! Doh!

He seems to be okay when i go up to him and stroke him after he’s played - he does look a bit more cautious/weary and bends low but it doesn’t appear to me that he thinks I’m prey, maybe just a bit “weary” until he sniffs me then realises he’s safe.

I’ll stop mixing the water with his food for now but if he doesn’t take to the water bowls, Ill start mixing it into his food again.

The litter I use definitely isn’t like water in cement haha. It just sticks to the poo, like stones would stick to poop LOL. What you have sounds interesting, but then I guess that in turn it would mean I will be using more litter to top up the tray, as larger chunks will be removed….. I really need to try some others I think just to see if theres anything better.

He truly is a character! Its amazing how quickly he has settled in - on the first night, i made him sleep in my second bedroom in fear Id squash him lol, but he follows me everywhere so it was like a cat and mouse chase to try and get him in - boy was I worn out!! On the 2nd night however, when I went to bed, he came in and jumped on the bed, started kneading as usual then curled up into one of my throws. Now I miss him when he isn’t sleeping with me :cry:

I have a few videos of him - I’ll try and post it somewhere and then post the URL here :D

@Bobby’s Girl
ROFL! You leave poor Gracies bottom alone :lol: :lol: :lol:

My garden is secure so to speak but I have a conservatory that I use as a smoking room. I leave the back door open that leads into the garden to let air in/my smoke out and some cats have come into the conservatory to have a snoop. When I try to approach them, They run away in fear and climb up the fence so they can still get over which I was surprised about coz they are about 6 foot high.

Regarding the leash, I won’t try to put it on him for a good few weeks. I’ll attempt to put it on so he gets used to it and if he takes to it then Ill try and walk him in the back garden. I know some cats are truly indoor cats but I just want him to have the best life possible as I know that FIV+ cats are generally treated differently from “normal cats”.

I feel lucky to have found him!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

In most ways he IS a normal cat. You just have to accept that his immune system is not what it should be and do your best to keep him healthy. :)

Try these folks. They are lovely people. [email protected] They were really helpfull when I found out Bobby was FIV+.
Last edited by bobbys girl on Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by destinyscheeks »

bobbys girl wrote:In most ways he IS a normal cat. You just have to accept that his immune system is not what it should be and do your best to keep him healthy. :)
Absolutely! Thats why I said "normal" haha!

He felt a lot stronger then the other "normal" cats I looked at. I can see he truly is a fighter (hence the name which came to me in a dream :lol: :ugeek: )
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by destinyscheeks »

bobbys girl wrote:Try these folks. They are lovely people. [email protected] They were really helpfull when I found out Bobby was FIV+.
Thanks for that! Im actually speaking with another lady who has a few FIV+/- cats and shes been helping me immensely. Is there anything extremely valuable that you learnt regarding Bobbys health/care (outside of ensuring I keep him healthy)?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Just seen your pic of KTW - he's a handsome chap!

It's funny how names can come to you, in dreams or otherwise. With me the name's often arrived before the animal, and I think, uh oh...and they've arrived...

Again congrats, he's beautiful! :D
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by destinyscheeks »

Lilith wrote:Just seen your pic of KTW - he's a handsome chap!

It's funny how names can come to you, in dreams or otherwise. With me the name's often arrived before the animal, and I think, uh oh...and they've arrived...

Again congrats, he's beautiful! :D
Thanks Lilith!

Not having a good day today - something has spooked Tobias and he will literally run, stop then run. Hes been hiding alot and isnt very approachable today :(

My friend thinks maybe he saw something outside, as hes been up on the window sills alot, hiding behind the curtains and my furniture - but I think it might of been my washing machine last night, coz he seems to be more weary of his surroundings when hes downstairs. I need to do some more washing today so I think I will put it on when hes in the room just so he knows that he doesnt have to be scared.

PS: I didnt want to name him until he was home but I Googled cat names and came across this site. Tobias seemed to be a perfect fit as he is very lovable. 'King' is because when I first met him, he felt strong and is very confident and Warrior came to me in a dream LMAO
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by destinyscheeks »

Just a quick update: so it only dawned on me yesterday that the Catsan Hygiene Litter I have been using is non-clumping :o

I went to Asdas yesterday and got Catsan Clumping Litter and what a difference! His poop doesnt smell as bad and its so much easier to scoop up his mess haha!

My only issue is that its harder to see what I need to scoop out so I find I have to spend more time scooping, but as least its a more enjoyable experience not having his stinky poos making me want to hurl LOL. Ive also brought Precious Cat Dr. Elsey's Ultra Cat Litter as it has really good reviews!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

destinyscheeks wrote:Is there anything extremely valuable that you learnt regarding Bobbys health/care (outside of ensuring I keep him healthy)?
Sorry I have not got back to you - been a bit hectic here over the last few days!

Bob has the most fabulous set of gnashers which he shows off everytime he yawns (never seen a cat open his mouth so wide!) It is very important to keep his teeth and gums clean as FIV+ cats are prone to problems that start with gum problems - or so I'm told.
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by destinyscheeks »

bobbys girl wrote:
destinyscheeks wrote:Is there anything extremely valuable that you learnt regarding Bobbys health/care (outside of ensuring I keep him healthy)?
Sorry I have not got back to you - been a bit hectic here over the last few days!

Bob has the most fabulous set of gnashers which he shows off everytime he yawns (never seen a cat open his mouth so wide!) It is very important to keep his teeth and gums clean as FIV+ cats are prone to problems that start with gum problems - or so I'm told.
No worries! I bet your cats keep you on your toes LOL

Thank you so much for getting back to me though, really appreciate it!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

destinyscheeks wrote:My only issue is that its harder to see what I need to scoop out so I find I have to spend more time scooping
Hi again - when you're doing the wees, try shaking the tray gently or tipping it slightly from end to end; the clean litter tends to spring away from the clumps and then you can see where they are. Many cats wee in the same corner and if you've been out all day you get a lovely cluster of boulders lol :D
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by destinyscheeks »

Lilith wrote:
destinyscheeks wrote:My only issue is that its harder to see what I need to scoop out so I find I have to spend more time scooping
Hi again - when you're doing the wees, try shaking the tray gently or tipping it slightly from end to end; the clean litter tends to spring away from the clumps and then you can see where they are. Many cats wee in the same corner and if you've been out all day you get a lovely cluster of boulders lol :D
LOL!

I just noticed he relieved himself again and I did what you said - tipped it slightly from end to end - wow. So much easier to scrap the pee bits now. I never thought Id gain enjoyment from scooping poop :lol:

Im thinking back to Kays earlier comment:
Kay wrote: I never change the whole tray - I just top up when it starts to run low, and once a week tip the litter out to clean the tray before putting it back in - this is very economical and doesn't give me tons of litter to dispose of, which would be a huge problem when I already have bags of ash every fortnight

any clumping litter can be used in this way, but the secret is a big deep tray and enough litter to allow digging and burial - a minimum depth of 10cm I would say
May I ask how much you use? I now have a litter box with a flap which again, has been a God sent. Its much bigger then the trays so I scrap the litter towards the middle of the tray for depth. Ive already used about 2.5L in one box! Ive just measured how much litter there is in there and its 3cm - If I was to use 10cm that would be the whole 5L!
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by destinyscheeks »

Heres his litter box
Attachments
b.jpeg
(198.77 KiB) Not downloaded yet
b.jpeg
(198.77 KiB) Not downloaded yet
a.jpeg
a.jpeg (67.33 KiB) Viewed 4846 times
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

the litter I use comes in kg rather than ml, and I use a 6kg bag for a very large enclosed tray shared by my two cats - when more than one cat is using the tray morel litter is needed so they can avoid each other's clumps - but deeper does make wee clumps less likely to stick to the sides or bottom, as they form in the middle of the litter layer - and because I never chuck the whole lot using a whole bag isn't an issue for me, as there is no saving to be made by having it shallower - I buy two bags about every 5 months

but experience will show what is best for you and your boy
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by destinyscheeks »

Kay wrote:the litter I use comes in kg rather than ml, and I use a 6kg bag for a very large enclosed tray shared by my two cats - when more than one cat is using the tray morel litter is needed so they can avoid each other's clumps - but deeper does make wee clumps less likely to stick to the sides or bottom, as they form in the middle of the litter layer - and because I never chuck the whole lot using a whole bag isn't an issue for me, as there is no saving to be made by having it shallower - I buy two bags about every 5 months

but experience will show what is best for you and your boy
1kg = 1L so on average, you use 6L every 2.5 months? WOW. Very impressed!

I really like this clumping litter and I guess I wont have to clean the whole box as often as I did with the non clumping one. To go through a 10L in a week is a joke but your spot on when you say it boils down to experience.