Newly adopted and in nead of a health check

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Chat Noir
Frequent Cat Chatter

Newly adopted and in nead of a health check

Post by Chat Noir »

Hi All

Our lovely Portia was put to sleep recently and we have adopted two new cats, Darla and Dusty. Their exact age is unknown - guess is 11 y/o.

We brought them home last night to their bonding room and they seem to be settling in fine (Dusty being a wee bit shy in comparison to Darla).

The woman we rescued them from told us that they have not been vaccinated for 5 years and Dusty definitely seems in need of a health check - she is overweight and seems to have staining on her fur. Neither have been to the vet in the last 5 years.

My question is, should we wait until they are settled in their new home before a vet check & injections or take them immediately? I don't want to cause them any further upset.
Chat Noir
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Newly adopted and in nead of a health check

Post by Chat Noir »

Here is their advert - still on Cats Protection website http://www.teesside.cats.org.uk/teessid ... cid=119760" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (I won't take pics until they are settled at home)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'm very surprised they haven't seen a vet, CP minimum standards are neutered, microchipped and had at least first vaccination
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi there and congrats on Dusty and Darla.

My personal instinct would be to let them settle in for a few weeks, unless some urgent health problem crops up.

I did this with my unexpected youngest, Molly; she arrived and though obviously of the age for spaying, I thought I'd let her get her paws under the table before disrupting her again.

Having bags of cheek and confidence, the little horror came into full heat the night before her appointment! Cats eh? :lol:

Fusses to the new arrivals :)
Chat Noir
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Chat Noir »

Thanks both!

D & D weren't in the custody of Cats Protection as there was no room, sadly. They were with the owner, who was liaising with CP to get them rehomed. From what I can tell, our local CP (like many) just cannot manage demand at the moment.

NO obvious signs of illness at the present - though I suspect they have fleas (so Frontline will be happening tonight!).
I Just had a wee lie down in their bonding room to find both of them cuddled up on my belly, so I am thinking that they are starting to feel safer :)