Notts NG4 Male Ginger Stray possibly needing a vet

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
SuzeV
New Cat Chatter

Notts NG4 Male Ginger Stray possibly needing a vet

Post by SuzeV »

We've recently been in our new home for almost a year and during this time there has always been a Male Ginger stray hanging around the back gardens of where we live. After speaking with neighbours not long after we moved in, we discovered he'd been named Jake by the neighbours and had been hanging around for years, at least 7 years they said as that's how long they've been in their home.
It's obvious he's had a home at some point as he's been neutered and you can see a vague mark around his neck where a collar has once been. The neighbours guess that his previous owners moved and left him behind. They feed him twice a day (they have their own indoor cat) and I regularly leave him some biscuits out and treats and fresh water.
In a year he's gone from letting me stroke his head to full on belly rubs and will sometimes drool on my hands if I fuss him enough. During the earlier part of the year I put some bedding in our old outside loo for him, propped the door open so he could shelter if needed. I have no idea where he goes at night apart from the neighbour's private alley where he sits upon an old table. He doesn't bother much with my shelter as its not high enough I don't think.
Every morning I see him meowing at the neighbours back door to be fed of which happens without fail. They've told me that they have taken him to the vet in the past but without sounding awful, I don't know if this is true or not. He sits upon our windowsill at night and literally meows at me for a good 10 mins, I know he'd like to get in but I have 2 indoor cats of my own which won't tolerate him and constantly try to paw at him when he's at the window.
Just lately he has really been looking worse for wear. He's clearly knocking on, has overgrown nails, a cauliflower ear and generally looks a bit unkempt. There's also a few new cats on the block and I think he's been in some scrapes as a few weeks back he had what looked like a puncture wound to his cheek and one at the base of his ea?r. I've noticed these have scabbed over but I've seen him 'gnawing' at the base of his tail and today I managed to rub his belly and a lot of his man nipples seem prominent and quite scabby feeling and a bit red. The area around his tail was quite red looking, he also has a visible patch of skin on his belly which looks a little raw. I've tried to get some photos but he never sits still long enough!
My problem is, is that I just don't know what to do? I don't think i'd get him in a carrier to the vets but also, I just can't afford the fee they'd charge as I only work part time and am on a very tight budget what with childcare costs to pay out as well as bills. I don't want to trend on my neighbours toes either as I get the feeling they wouldn't be happy if I took over so to speak. Would a rescue help him do you think? I contacted one a while back but because he's not deemed as an emergency or a rescue they couldn't help.
Breaks my heart to see him out there as he's had a family at some point so knows what it's like to have a home.
I'm just worried about the impending winter coming as I'm fearful he might not survive it.
I will try and attach the photos I managed to get of him.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Notts NG4 Male Ginger Stray possibly needing a vet

Post by bobbys girl »

Where I live vets are a little thin on the ground and we only have one animal shelter - but they are BRILLIANT (Bright Eyes in Ballinamallard) They have an agreement with our local vet that if any stray cat is bought in for emergency treatment, they will cover the costs. This includes the sort of injuries you are talking about.

We did that with our resident stray, Felix, when he turned up one day in a similar state to 'your' boy. They treated his wounds, checked him out and neutered him. he still pops in for a snack every now and again and I'm sure we'll see more of him over the winter. :)

Perhaps there is a similar system where you are? I know it's a long shot. Perhaps Cat's Protection have details of such a service?

I hope you can get him sorted out. Thank you for caring for this boy. Let us know how you go on and Good Luck.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Notts NG4 Male Ginger Stray possibly needing a vet

Post by Marla »

Thank you for caring about this cat. Please try Animal Accident Rescue Unit in Nottingham on 01159 321 555.