adopting a cat /kitten

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
lassoscotland
Returning Cat Chatter

adopting a cat /kitten

Post by lassoscotland »

This week I have been let down by a friend who promised me that I could adopt one of her cats kittens in that one day I was to go out and collect the kitten and within a few hours I would get a message via Email that she had changed her mind and that she was going to keep the kittens. This scenario continued for a whole week and I felt that my friend was dangling a carrot in front of me and I did not know whether I was coming or going. On Monday night I was told from my friend that I was definitely getting a kitten that I was going to adopt as she knew this little kitten had bonded with me and that the kitten had trusted me completely. I was all excited about getting a new addition to my animal family but on the Tuesday morning I got a message via face-book from my friend relating that she had changed her mind and she was going to keep the three kittens. I went out to see my friend and the kitten jump on my lap as soon as she saw me and just nestled into my arms and I was getting upset and disappointed at the same time that I was not going to adopt this kitten. My friend then made this suggestion that after 3-to 6 months when the kitten had matured I could adopt her but I felt that I had been messed around enough and knowing my friend had no intention of re-homing the cat - my answer was astounding NO!!! The kittens are about 4 months old and for the sake of the kittens and the other two cats I gave my friend names of charities where she could get a neutering voucher as my concern now is that the kittens and the mother cat is going to have kittens but I did warn my friend that she may not get 5 neutering vouchers for the same household.
As I have an Certificate in Animal Care and in the past I use to rescue and foster cats,plus hand-rearing kittens and re-home the cats. Some cats who were too old or too traumatised I would adopt them as they needed plenty of patience and TLC. I would love to give a cat/kitten or two cats a home and as I am not working now due to having cancer I have considered being a foster parent again as it was a worthwhile and rewarding job
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: adopting a cat /kitten

Post by Lilith »

Well...with 'friends' like that, who needs enemies?

I think you've done your best in this situation and I think you're right in thinking that now is the time to let go and look elsewhere - which is going to be hard as you've clearly bonded with this kitten. This person's either being sentimental and foolish (if she dithers for months those kittens that are female are going to end up pregnant too!) or she's jerking you about. Good on you for saying 'no'.

The rescue shelters are full of kittens/cats needing homes, and you can offer a good home. There's a section on here giving details of rescues in your area.

I do hope your friend's cats/kittens go on ok but I really think you've done all you can. Good luck!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Sorry - additional post - but, I should have added, if you're ill, if you do adopt a cat or cats, do you live with someone or know a reliable person who will be able to care for the cat/s if you need to go into hospital or have a bad day? It's as well to look at all the pros and cons before you adopt.

I do realise that many people with cancer live as normal a life as possible and hope this is the case with you, and that you adopt your cat/s and recover too. All the best.
lassoscotland
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by lassoscotland »

My dog Molly who was a rescue dog saved my life by detecting my cancer in the early stages in 2008 and all I needed was an hysterectomy with no further treatment. After the my Hysterectomy the Consultant informed me that my cancer or Percy as I called my cancer had been removed and the operation had been a success. As a precaution I had to attend the Woman' clinic for the next five years and in 2013 I was discharged from the Woman's clinic with a clean bill of health. Molly died in 2014 age 14 and a tribute to Molly was written in the Lancashire Evening Post.

A few years ago I retired from work as a Holistic Therapist and now I am at home during the day and this is the reason why I am considering fostering and adopting cats.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Oh that's good - sorry, thought you were still ill and it can be a worry, if you have animals and are either ill, or live alone for that matter, unless you know there's a 'safety net' regarding their care should you not be able to look after them, even if only for a day or two.

So, good luck with the rescues and hope you find your cat/s soon :)
lassoscotland
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by lassoscotland »

Have just had a phone call from a lady who is eight months pregnant and has developed an severe allergy to her two cats who are 11 years old and I have agreed to adopt the two cats as I have always had a soft spot for the mature cat. The lady is going to bring them down to my home tomorrow and I found out that her house is only twenty minutes walk away. Looking forward to the new additions to the animal family and I reassured the lady that her two cats will be well loved and will be spoilt rotten. This will definitely will make up for all the hassle I have been through concerning the kitten I was going to adopt and the above two cats are more urgent in need of a new home.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

That's such a lovley outcome, good on you for taking on older cat - I'm sure you won't regret it and they sound lovely. Congrats, and keep us posted! :)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Congrats and good on you!

I was a bit puzzled by the 'sudden allergy' and (being cynical) wondered if it was an excuse, but after googling found that pregnancy can cause this sort of allergy. So glad you were there to pick up the pieces (and the cats) and wish you many happy years ahead with them :)
lassoscotland
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by lassoscotland »

The two mature cats age 11 have now been adopted by me but after a phone call this evening to the lady who is pregnant and had developed an allergy reaction to her cats - my instincts was telling me something did not add up and became suspicious to the real reasons why she wanted her two cats adopted. I tested this lady by relating that since she had the two cats since they were kittens I would foster the cats until her baby was born and if her allergy cleared, I would be willing to give her two cats back. Her reply to my suggestion was sharp and to the point and in formed me that she had this extreme cat allergy since her twins had been born - the twins now are at Primary School so the question that has to be addressed why did this lady not want her two cats re-homed then. The lady was adamant that she did not want her cats back and her husband would bring the cats to my home within a few hours and the phone was put down. From a chatty conservation from the previous night to a off-handed conservation this evening I knew my gut instincts were right that it was nothing to do with her alleged cat allergy she wanted the cats adopted - it was because she was pregnant. This is not the first time this has happened as I adopted Pebbles a few months ago for the same reason. I related to my partner this is the last time I am going to adopt a cat for the reasons that the woman is pregnant.
The lady's husband brought the two cats in a cat carrier that was falling to bits and I am sure that he had borrowed the cat carrier, there was no cat food, no cat food dishes, no toys, no blanket or anything and the two cats were literally dumped on me. I know if I was wanting a cat re-homed I would make sure that I would have given the adoptive owner the cat's food, dish, toys, blanket etc. The two cats looked healthy but I was left wondering how much love did they receive when they were delivered to my home in a cat carrier and nothing else. Charlie is a feisty cat and he has been hiding under a chair and taking a swipe at the animals and humans when they passed - I have had my initiation from Charlie as he bit me on my thumb when I put dish of food down. Mia is a timid old girl and she has hidden herself away but when she gets hungry I am sure she will make her appearance. It will take a few days for the two new members of the family to settled in but I am sure with patience and plenty of TLC they will soon be part of the animal family. Just wish that the woman had been more honest to the reasons why she wanted her two cats re-homed - I am glad that I have adopted them as I feel they need some care and attention.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Too right - it sounds like you might have to try and make up for 11 years of not much attention. Lucky cats that you took them on, I hope they settle in well.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

That is so sad...and also irresponsible and uncaring on the part of the previous 'owner' :evil:

I've known two women who, when they were pregnant, had their cats pts for that reason, which is no reason at all...all it takes is just a bit of commonsense, consideration and care for both cat and baby, and why can't cats and babies live in the same home? Plenty do, with great success. No, like this person, they just wanted rid.

Sounds like you'll have to make up a lifetime's tlc to Charlie and Mia, as Crewella says; all the very best with them; they are very lucky :)
lassoscotland
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by lassoscotland »

Charlie is coming round slowly and he is allowing my partner to pet him for a few seconds and tonight Charlie was sitting on the arm of the settee. Mia is more timid and I found her hiding behind the fridge but when I tried to coax her out from behind the fridge she was spooked and dashed out of the kitchen and found another hiding place. All I am doing at the moment is leaving plenty of fresh food and I have a cat water fountain so they have fresh water when they want to have a drink. It is a patience game especially with Mia and hopefully I will soon gain both cats trust and they will son be settled and become part of the animal family.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

A move like this does hit the older cats quite hard sometimes - their whole world has been turned upside down. Give Mia time and I'm sure she'll come orund. :)