Re-homing cats devon/cornwall border **Now Rehomed**

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
fougere
Returning Cat Chatter

Re-homing cats devon/cornwall border **Now Rehomed**

Post by fougere »

Hello, being a dog owner I'm new to this forum.
I'm hoping there is someone here who might be able to help.
My Mother-in-law is in the last stages of cancer and has finally gone into hospital. She was very concerned about what would happen to her cats. I offered to take them home and look for new permanent homes for them. She was very relieved and insisted that they don't go into a rescue or shelter.
So my husband is off tomorrow to pick them up. Unfortunately, they can't stay with us permanently because we have two dogs.
I'm hoping that someone here may be able to help, or suggest a way for me to proceed.
The cats are a brother and sister, in good health, neutered, housetrained. I'm not sure of their age until they arrive tomorrow with their passports, but probably around ten years old.
Alex is a tabby with white bib and paws. He is really handsome and affectionate.
Cloe is tabby, and a bit more aloof than her brother.

Fingers crossed that I can find someone to take them in and lavish them with the attention they deserve.

Thank-you for reading.
Lynn
Last edited by fougere on Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Looking for homes for my mother-in-law's cats

Post by Lilith »

Hi, they may surprise you; they may make friends with the dogs and settle in on you :)

But what you do need to give is your area. There may be someone on here in the same area looking for cats like Alex and Cloe and who can give them a home. Only yesterday a member, who'd been badly let down over a kitten adoption arrangement, was happy to take on two older cats, so the homes are there, and I do hope there'll be a home for Alex and Cloe - all the very best :)
fougere
Returning Cat Chatter

Re:Re- homing mother-in-law's cats devon/cornwall border

Post by fougere »

Sorry, I didn't think. We are on the devon/cornwall border.

I can't see Bertie accepting a cat, he even "sees-off" cats, lions, tigers etc on the TV.
fougere
Returning Cat Chatter

Re: Re-homing cats devon/cornwall border **Now Rehomed**

Post by fougere »

I thought I'd let you know that we had a stroke of luck and have found a fantastic new home for the cats.
I told all my friends about the cats and one of them knew a lady that was looking for an adult cat.
Their new owner has a wealth of experience and I'm sure they are going to thoroughly pampered.
They are only about a mile down the road, so I can pop in and find out how they are settling in.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

That's brilliant news, well done! :)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hey that's great - many congrats and hope Alex and Cloe are very happy; I'm sure they will be.

Your mother in law must be so relieved to hear you've found them a good home so quickly; it must have been awful parting with them and not knowing their future.
fougere
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by fougere »

You are right Lilith. She had been struggling on for a long time and wouldn't leave home because of the cats, despite knowing that she couldn't cope. She'd gone blind, could barely walk and couldn't really make a fuss of them because the weight of a cat on her lap was too painful due to the cancer.
When I said we'd take the cats in, and find them a home from here, you could see the relief on her face.
I think we have been very lucky to find someone so quickly. I thought we might have ended up with them living with us permanently. Which would be OK, except I feel they would have missed out on the extra affection a real cat-lover could give and the freedom of being able to roam around their own home without the risk of meeting up with a pair of dogs.