Help for ferals in Bucks/Chilterns?

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Help for ferals in Bucks/Chilterns?

Post by Crewella »

The small independent rescue that I volunteer for is trying to help a small colony of ferals in the High Wycombe area. They have managed to trap a couple of pregnant mums or mums with kittens, but the problem is that the colony is near a busy road and several cats have been hit and injured, so they are not keen to release any adults back there once the kittens have grown up and they have been neutered. I just thought it might be worth asking on here if anyone knew of somewhere in our area that might take on feral cats? The closest shelter that I'm aware of that will take on ferals is The Scratching Post in Herts (who are, of course, inundated).

Also, they are having trouble trapping one of the cats who has been injured, and I wondered if anyone had a drop-trap they would be willing to lend us as they don't seem to be having much luck with a conventional trap?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Help for ferals in Bucks/Chilterns?

Post by Meandmymunki »

We have joined all the Herts, beds and bucks equine Facebook pages and relocate all our ferals that way.
Just search the areas and then words like equine or horse and join all the groups that come up. Pictures always help too.
We have a drop over basket but it's a normal transfer basket that bottom panel comes out so not much help unless the cat is at your feet.... But we do often use a small dog crate like a string trap with food at the back and string tied to top and bottom of door and sit as long as your string is away from it.
Hope that helps- if you need a hand searching for stable type placements give me a shout!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Help for ferals in Bucks/Chilterns?

Post by Crewella »

That's a good idea, and it helps that the lady involved in the trapping also happens to be the same lady who does the Facebook page for us! I'll pass on what you've said, thank you so much for your help. :)