Second cat or not?

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
webble
New Cat Chatter

Second cat or not?

Post by webble »

Hi I used to post a bit on here but lost my user details so I'm starting again.

Until a month ago I had three cats, two older ladies and a huge middle aged boy cat. Whilst they weren't best friends they were ok. The big male would sometimes pounce on the girls and chase them but he only really wanted to play there was no nastiness. They would his and growl and run away from him. He would occasionally wash one of the girls.

We used to get cats in the garden but since boy cat arrived a year ago we don't as he has chased them all off in no uncertain terms.

Sadly in the past month the two lady cats have died, both were old and one was expected one wasn't. Since then boy cat has been extra friendly and I can't decide if this is because he is happy having his humans to himself or if he is lonely. Because of his size 6.7kg and how pouncey he can be I don't know whether to consider another cat. If I did do I look at a confident kitten/ younger cat or a a golden oldie? I know it would depend on the cat but I'm wondering which he might accept. My preference would be a black old lady
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Second cat or not?

Post by alanc »

Sorry to hear of your loss. The two times I've been in your position, after observing my surviving cat for a month, I came to the conclusion that they were happier on their own. However, they were both female and I believe male cats may be more tolerant. I am sure others on here with more experience will be along soon.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I would agree that on the whole females enjoy being queen bee more than males - I know if my Tiffany goes before Tosker I will definitely get another cat, but if he goes first I wouldn't consider it at all

if you get an older female you risk her wanting to be queen bee though - I would have thought that on the whole least risk is another middle-aged male of a sedentary disposition
webble
New Cat Chatter

Post by webble »

Ah it's interesting you are both thinking a male, I thought he would be more aggressive toasts another man about the house. In the past rescues have always suggested a girl/ boy combination but I guess it depends on the cats. It might be he is happy on his own, I wish they could talk
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I would go for it, but take great care in choosing the right cat. An adult that is proven to be sociable would be ideal, whether it be male of female.

My big lad, Daz, like to chase my older lady (which she does not appreciate) and he was delighted when we got him a girlfriend, Peaches, who loved to play chase as much as he does. He gets on alright with the other boys, after a settling in period, but he and Peaches were a real 'team' - almost inseparable. Sadly we lost her to the road a couple of years ago ..... I'm still hoping another little girl like her will turn up one day. He misses her.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

When I had dogs, I much prefered bitches they all got on so well. But with cats I've found the boys to be much more friendly towards us and each other.

Tom and Bob were always the best of friends. The girls seem to tolerate each other - just about.

If it were me I would go for another boy, adult not kitten.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Something else to consider is how many other cats there are around and how old they are. There are quite a few young cats round here, so Tilly is able to get feline company if she wants it and have her own patch to retreat to if she wants.
webble
New Cat Chatter

Post by webble »

There are quite a few but none come into our garden