Too soon to get another rescue?

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Bluebell
Frequent Cat Chatter

Too soon to get another rescue?

Post by Bluebell »

Hi cat lovers I could really do with some advice. Short back story - we had a rescue cat who lived to 18 years old, and sadly had to have her put to sleep when she went into chronic heart failure. Obviously it was awful but we knew we had given her a long and happy life. I hated the house without a cat in it, and 4 weeks later we brought home another rescue cat. After 4 months living with us she went missing. We have done everything we can to try and find her but it is as if she has vanished. She disappeared on the 7th December. I know there are lots of positive stories of cats coming home after weeks away and although a part if me is still hopeful for her return, my rational head tells me this is increasingly unlikely as time goes on.
So to my question. I am once again feeling that huge cat shaped hole in my life. A house is not a home without a cat in it! If I contact rescue centres again and explain our situation, do you think they'd consider us? Do you think its too soon and we should wait? We'd actually be happy to take a pair if they needed to go together. I guess if Lottie strolled in weeks later, she'd have to adapt to having housemates...
What would you do in my situation? All and any views and advice greatly welcomed.
Thanks in advance.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Too soon to get another rescue?

Post by Ruth B »

I will start by saying I have never had a cat go missing (frantically touching wood as I type this) so I don't really know the anguish involved in not knowing what has happened. i really do hope she turns up for you, or at the very least you find out what happened. However I do agree that a house without a cat is a house without its soul.

I don't think it's too soon to think about another one, particularly as you have already considered what would happen if she did return one day. As long as everything is done to make sure the cat is safe (microchip, safe home location or secure garden etc) I would think that most rescues would understand that sometimes the worst happens and they don't come home one day. You aren't to blame it is just one of the risks we have to accept if we allow them out of the house, and personally I don't really like keeping a cat housebound unless it is for medical reasons or you live by a very busy road.

Whether you get one or two is a personal choice as long as you understand there is always the possibility of that increasing by one if she did turn up. What i hate is the idea that any cat is pushed out of their home by newcomers even if they have been away for a few months. In my mind the original cat must always come first.
Bluebell
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Bluebell »

Thank you Ruth for your well considered reply. I really appreciate you saying that we are not to blame, I do feel responsible and had assumed that Lottie had found her forever home with us, just as our dear old Molly had before her. To add a little more detail, Lottie had been relishing her freedom and had started to stay out for longer periods of time, and I think she must have been roaming further afield before she went missing. She always came back for her food and to sleep though. So of course I have that worry at the back of my mind, and as you say it is a risk we take when we let them out. She would have gone beserk as a house cat, for the first three weeks we kept her in she was literally climbing the curtains, not a problem for us but she did need to go out and explore.
I take on board what you say about the possibility of her coming home and not being accepted by the new cats.
Lots to think about.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi Bluebell, so sorry to hear Lottie hasn't come home - yet. It could still happen though.

It's a cat owner's eternal dilemma; I'm fortunate in that things have been decided for me; this is a dodgy built-up area with a lot of traffic and stupid people who think it's cool to not keep their dogs on the lead; two of my cats are elderly and the youngest would attack anything, cat, dog or child, so for their safety and hers she has to stay in the enclosed garden. But I remember a beautiful tabby blue-point Siamese I bred; he went to a very kind family who adored him, in a very quiet area of York...at 2 years old they lost him to the road. Decades ago and I still feel guilty at parting with him. But could I have given him a better life?

I do wish your Lottie could come home, even after these weeks, but I know how you feel about the heart having gone out of the house, and I don't think you're heartless; there are so many cats out there needing good homes.

All the very best x
Bluebell
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Bluebell »

Thank you so much for your reply Lilith I really appreciate your kind words. I have contacted a rescue who are going to speak to me in the New Year. I think it will be a case of waiting a little longer and then of course waiting for the right cat or cats to come along. I have looked at cats for sale but I just can't do it knowing that there are so many cats needing homes in rescues. I will keep this thread updated with any developments.