Neglected cat.

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
cyberkath
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Neglected cat.

Post by cyberkath »

I hope this is allowed. I am very worried about my neighbours cat. It is a largish family, they have a dog and a cat. They never seem to let the cat in and it was going from house to house trying to get in and begging for food. Feeling sorry for it we gave it some food and it has now taken up residence in our porch. We leave it open so it can get in and out. I have taken it back round to the neighbours and explained what has happened in case they were worried about it, they told me it had cancer and that was that. I have taken it back twice, since as we have foxes around at night, but they just don't seem bothered about it. I do not feel as if I can take it on as my cat doesn't seem to like it.

I know all rescues are struggling at the moment, but has anyone got any ideas.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Neglected cat.

Post by Crewella »

Oh gosh, bless you for your concern. What area are you in? It's difficult, as you don't want to fall out with your neighbours, but equally you don't want the cat to suffer. Does the cat look ill or underweight at all?
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Welcome and thanks for caring about this cat. If you are concerned about the cat’s welfare then you should contact the RSPCA, they won’t say you’ve contacted them but will check up on the cat. If they’re not letting a poorly cat in then that’s cruel and needs checking out. It does sound like he’s seeking comfort elsewhere poor lad.
cyberkath
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by cyberkath »

I live in Leicester, Crewella. We've made a bed for him in the porch, not an ideal situation, but better for the little lad than sleeping on their concrete car port. It is so sad as he is a lovely little cat. He was very thin and his coat was in poor condition, then we started feeding him and he has put on a bit of weight and coat seems a lot better, bless him he's not fussy about what cat food we give him, so makes me wonder if he was being fed at his 'home'.

Janey, thanks for responding. I am going to have another word with his 'family' and to try again, if they don't respond will get in touch with the RSPCA. I will give them a ring to see what I can do in general terms, I don't want a 'feud' with the neighbours, but I want to get something sorted for the little fella. Am a bit worried he'll be pts, if the RSPCA get involved. I think he just needs a caring person, and a warm bed for the rest of his life. I would love to take him on, but my cat gets a bit jealous of him - which is so sad as I don't think he needs much out of life.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Marla »

It's lovely that you care about this cat.

If it were me, I wouldn't involve the organisation mentioned, based on past experience.

If you're a bit tempted to adopt him, you could ask them if they'd mind - they probably won't - and then very slowly introduce him to your cat to see how it goes. If it doesn't work out, then you could contact local rescues.

Our two female cats were extremely territorial with cats that came near our house, so we never intended to add another cat to the family. But then a neighbour was neglecting a cat and he was so visibly ill that we offered to adopt him and she agreed. We introduced him very slowly to our cats and because he wasn't aggressive towards them it worked out fine.

Some info about introducing a new cat:
https://www.catchat.org/index.php/new-cat-introductions
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

if you're able to spend a bit of money on him, you could informally adopt him as an outdoor cat - a Mr Snugs kennel https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mr-Snugs-KatDe ... s=mr+snugs is one option - plus a heat reflecting pad would keep him sheltered in your porch winter and summer, and perhaps a cat flap in the porch door is a possibility

I have been looking after a couple of strays like this for over a year now, and they are thriving

and maybe your cat will come round once he gets used to seeing this lad regularly - especially if they spend some time in your garden during the warmer months

I know it is expensive to look after someone else's cat like this, but if you're like me, you will think it worth it just not to have the worry on a cold wet night
cyberkath
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by cyberkath »

This is a follow up, to my first post. We bought a small kennel for the cat and put some blankets in, the cat seemed settled and we felt that we weren't treading on the neighbours toes over the cat. Anyway, one day my husband picked her up and said that he thought he felt a lump in her stomach, I went round to the neighbours (again), who nonchalantly told me yes, she'd got cancer and shut the door on my face! We took her to our vet to get an opinion on what to do. The vet said it would be a very expensive and risky operation and the best thing would be to keep her comfortable as possible and if she was in pain and suffering then to bring her in to pts.

We fed, fussed her. We tried to bring her into the house, but then our cat wouldn't come in. So she stayed in the garden and we bought her in for fuss when our cat went out, not a great situation, but the best we could do in the circumstances. Sadly, she passed away last Saturday, we bought her in the house and I stayed with her, sadly she passed when I went to make a cup of tea.

Since then my cat has been very clingy and mopey, could he be grieving for her? Although, he wasn't keen on her, they would sometimes sit together in the garden.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ohhh ...

Thank goodness she had your care and comfort, poor little girl. Good on you!

Yes, I expect your resident cat is missing her, and you will be too.

What horrible 'owners' - I'm so glad she found you x
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi take comfort in that this little cat had a caring & safe home. And yes while not close, your resident cat is probably feeling it too. RIP little one. Vivian
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I agree with the other girls. At least she passed in peace and some comfort and knowing someone cared.

I am sure your cat is missing her. It's a family thing - we don't all get on with ALL our relatives the same, do we? But then you still unite in times of trouble.

As for the 'owners' SHAME on them. :evil: