Building a home for ferals

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
feralking
New Cat Chatter

Building a home for ferals

Post by feralking »

Hi,

I've been caring for a colony of 5 feral cats for a few years and they've been living in my garden in what was once a summer house. Cats protection along with a local cat rescue charity helped in catching and neutering the cats and they are all pretty healthy and have become fairly trusting.
The summer house is currently in a very bad state and won't last much longer and I would really like to provide them with a more stable and insulated home. I can't bring them inside as they won't step foot inside and if they did my 2 domestic cats would become very distressed about this (my youngest is already not very fond of them!) and as I was unsuccessful in finding a charity willing to take them and re-home them my only option is to keep them in the garden so a shelter for them is very important.

I'm hoping someone out there can provide me with some help and advice as to how and where I can find a shelter suitable to house them. I feel pretty lost at the moment because I just don't know where to begin and don't have any funding for this project so it will take some time to save up, so I really need to do this on as small a budget as possible.

Any help and advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Building a home for ferals

Post by Meandmymunki »

That's a great thing you are doing for these cats and thankfully you have time on your side now to look for new shelter for them before winter, I would start by looking on your local freecycle site and fb freecycle and selling sites and put the feelers out for a good condition shed that someone maybe either giving away or selling cheap, then you can line the walls with rolls of that yellow insulation stuff which is very cheap and just staple it on, and fill boxes with blankets etc for them for beds.

Good luck and you will have to update is with pics if you get one sorted :)
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

A friend of mine runs a rabbit rescue and is always picking up stuff for the rescue on Freecycle and eBay, she quite often uses a childs wendy house which would probably do your feral gang too or rabbit hutches which you could cover in plastic tarpaulin (under £10 from Wicks) to keep it water/wind proof with some insulation (polystyrene sheets also work well and are cheap).

http://www.wickes.co.uk/search?text=tarpaulin&x=0&y=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.wickes.co.uk/search?text=polystyrene&x=0&y=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
feralking
New Cat Chatter

Post by feralking »

Thanks for your replies and suggestions. I will continue asking around and checking the freecycle sites. I think a wendy house is a nice idea but they don't always all get on so I think a shed is probably best as it will give them a bit more space. I will share photos, hopefully I can get it sorted before the winter. :D