Advice on temporary home for my blind cat

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
cmccabe92
New Cat Chatter

Advice on temporary home for my blind cat

Post by cmccabe92 »

Hi y'all,

I have a 1yo blind cat, Eugene. For those of you with blind cats, you know that they are amazing and incredibly adaptive animals. He's truly the best and most loyal cat I've ever had.

I am a musician and have been hired to go on tour for about three and a half weeks across the US this June. I'm worried about Eugene though - when I have toured in the past and have had other cats I have had catsitters come through, but because he is blind I worry he needs more stimulation than just a person coming by every day for a couple of hours. I have never been gone this long since I adopted him.

My girlfriend has suggested that I move Eugene to her house for the length of my trip. He's very familiar with her and has known her his whole life, and she does not have other pets. My worry is that because he is blind that putting him in a strange new environment and then 3 weeks later moving him back to my house is a bad idea.

What do y'all think? Should I move him over to her house or forego that in favor of a more traditional catsitter situation? I just want him to be happy :)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Advice on temporary home for my blind cat

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

I agree this is difficult; I've lived with a poorly sighted cat and know how important it is for everything to be the same as usual with furniture etc.

On the other hand it sounds a great alternative for Eugene to go and live with your girlfriend while you're on tour because, as you say, he'll have familiar company and love. Personally I'd choose this for him.

Perhaps start him off in one room, say her bedroom, until he gets used to being somewhere different, but he may surprise her by learning the place instantly.

I'm sure he'll remember his real home once he returns to you - and I hope the tour goes well, all the best :)
pandorawarlord
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Advice on temporary home for my blind cat

Post by pandorawarlord »

I had a blind cat for sometime , may I suggest that you move your girlfriend into your place rather than moving the cat