adpted 2 cats, existing cat hides

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Poppyoscar
New Cat Chatter

adpted 2 cats, existing cat hides

Post by Poppyoscar »

Hi all,

I've had cats for some years now. I started off with one from CPL then added 2 kittens, this was 14 years ago. Fast forward to now, the original one from CPL died a few years ago and earlier this year one of the others died from heart failure. This left Miss Piggy. A few weeks ago I adopted 2 black cats, Poppy and Oscar. They are mother and son, although I only really wanted one, I couldn't bear to part them as they had already been in cat care for 2 years and was all Oscar knew (being 2 years old).

the 2 new ones are really nice cats. Poppy is more friendly than her son Oscar, he is just shy, although is gradually getting tame.

the issue is with my existing cat Miss Piggy. she just hides all the time in the wardrobe. I've kept them apart this past 6 weeks, they are fed separately, sleep in different areas. Piggy just isn't wanting to come out of the wardrobe. I literally have to take her out of the wardrobe in the mornings to take her outside for her toileting. They each have their own litter trays in their own area, but Piggy has always preferred to go outside.

I've got feliway diffusers where Piggy is and another one where Poppy and Oscar are. the new ones are fine, they are just friendly but what can I do to help piggy from being scared of them please?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: adpted 2 cats, existing cat hides

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome, and sorry to hear of your (and Miss Piggy's) dilemma, though it's great that you've taken on Poppy and Oscar :)

That's the trouble with single cats, they rule the roost and Miss P is clearly very annoyed, but cats are, at heart, communal creatures and hopefully time will be the remedy here; she'll get used to the newcomers and while possibly not ever being friends, learn to live with them and revert to her usual routine.

I used to breed Siamese and sold a kitten to someone with a middleaged Siamese girl ... it was touch and go at first. Every evening the new owner and I would talk on the phone; I was prepared to have Thor (the kitten) back at any time but eventually Misty (older cat) accepted him and would mother him, pinning him down on the hearthrug and washing his ears ... and she'd HATED him at first.

However, this is a 'double act' so a bit much for Miss P to deal with. I can only say, special her, go on as you're doing, make her feel she's the most important cat in the house, fuss her with titbits etc. Scent has a great deal to do with it too; the newcomers will still smell 'strange' to her and scent-swapping ie exchanging blankets is often recommended but I feel that in this case Miss P is too fragile to deal with this at present. Butter her up!

I know how she feels - nearly 6 years ago I got a waif, my horrible ginger ninja Molly, who is like 10 cats at once and all asbos, sort of foisted on me, and even now I'll stand up for the older cats - 'no, Molly, Emily can hit you but you're not to hit Emily' which is a bit unfair but Moll knows she's loved and I have to make sure she knows the oldies are the boss.

Hopefully others will be along with more advice but hope this helps for now - please do update and all the very best and good luck and big fusses to them all :)
Poppyoscar
New Cat Chatter

Re: adopted 2 cats, existing cat hides

Post by Poppyoscar »

Hello Lilith,

Thanks for your lovely reply. It's odd but some days Piggy seems more confident than others. I've not introduced them as such just yet, although Piggy has seen them through the glass (they were in the conservatory). Pig is curious I think, if she knows they are safely behind the conservatory door, she will actually go up to the glass to look.

I think you're right, it's just a matter of time. She was only a lone cat for about 6 weeks, and had Athina before that. They were never best buddies, but tolerated each other - despite me getting them as kittens at the same time. so with luck, in time, she will tolerate the newbies.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: adpted 2 cats, existing cat hides

Post by bobbys girl »

Your post is interesting and, at the moment, very apt. I found my first cat, Willow, as a tiny kitten some 13 years ago. Her mum was an outdoor cat who belonged to a neighbour (the neighbour hadn't even known she was pregnant!)

Last week she told me that a very pregnant stray had taken up residence in one of her sheds and had given birth to four kittens. She had decided to keep mum (and had her spayed) and one of the kittens. Her daughter had claimed another. 'Did I know anyone who wanted a kitten (or two)?' :?

I am facing the same problem as you. I was willing to take the boy, a black cat like Bob, but having been to see them, the girl seemed to bond with me and didn't want to be put down. I have another week to make up my mind.

I SO hope things work out for you and your older kitty and that you have some good news to report very soon!

BTW I agree with all Lilith said - that's the way to go ( and hope the cats agree!).