Adding a kitten to 2 older rescues

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Jennaling
New Cat Chatter

Adding a kitten to 2 older rescues

Post by Jennaling »

Hi All,

Last year I rescued two cats aged 8yrs after my beloved boy passed. The two I have now are boys, neutered of course, one is quite an anxious cat but happy with me, my partner and the other cat.

I've been asked to go and rescue a kitten (given as a gift to someone who's landlord won't allow cats!).

I have a spare room I can dedicate to the kitten and a play pen within that to keep it secure. Kitten is a female only 6 weeks old! Mother died in birth. I don't know any more than this.

My heart says just go and get the kitten out of it's poor situation so I will do that and keep it separated from my two until further down the line. I'm in two minds about keeping the kitten in my care or passing it on for adoption. I have to put my 2 older kitties first. I have no idea how they may react and I don't want to cause any worried for them.

Any advice?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Adding a kitten to 2 older rescues

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

I don't know if you've seen this link - https://www.catchat.org/index.php/new-cat-introductions

But I reckon you have a pretty good idea of how to proceed anyway, and the good thing is that older lads are generally easier-going than the more territorial females when it comes to newcomers; when my youngest cat arrived, the two older girls weren't that keen but right from the start her Uncle Finn (sadly no longer with us) a formerly fierce retired feral tomcat,was so laid back, and had her snuggling up to his belly within weeks ... Lolita! :o :lol:

Edit - sorry, I realise I may not have answered your query fully here as to the nervous boy, but there's no knowing how he may react (Finny was VERY aggressive and nervous before he moved in.) I wouldn't worry too much about a growl or a hiss; it doesn't necessarily mean 'I'm moving out' or 'I'm going to kill it' - it can be quite conversational - along the lines of - 'what's that?' or 'watch your step, junior!' The kitten may pretend to be feisty and charge crabwise (this is comical) and a paw or two may be raised, again, a great deal of this is sheer pantomime. Finn never said anything to Molly, though she was adolescent when she joined us and, I soon realised, about to come into heat, but I've introduced kittens and bred cats; I had a mean and moody neuter who ALWAYS growled - then washed the offending kitten if he thought I wasn't looking.

I think the main thing is to make a huge fuss of your boys and let them know they're FIRST :D

But six weeks ... :shock: Never mind; that's the age so many kittens went to new homes in the 'good old' (bad old) days; she'll survive, although she'll have missed out on a lot of mothering and learning how to interact with siblings; here your boys, hopefully, will come into their own, teaching her not to play rough and to inhibit her bites and scratches, something you may have to teach her too by not allowing her to roughneck with you (I also had this problem with my youngest.)

But whether you foster and rehome her, or keep her, I think the situation sounds as if you've got it in hand; good luck with her and any more questions, don't hesitate to ask; hopefully others will be along soon with more advice; all the very best :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Adding a kitten to 2 older rescues

Post by bobbys girl »

Yes I agree. Since we took in two kittens a couple of months back I find I am having to reassure Bobby a lot. It does seem to be working and he is starting to come around to the kittens, with much less hissing on his part.

One of the kittens, Billy, is becoming very affectionate (and is sitting on my knee as I type). But when Bobby wants a cuddle, he gets priority.

I'd say yes, give it a go. You sound like you know what you are doing and the kitties should be fine - if you give them time to get used to each other.