Dilemma - Advice needed

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Dilemma - Advice needed

Post by KittyWitty »

So most of you know that I am getting a new kitty which I thought she was coming from an experienced foster carer - turns out that the woman is just someone who the pregnant mummy kitty was given to from an ex partner (without them knowing that mum was pregnant). We are in this situation after being deceived but we will still be bringing her home even though its not from a the original situation we thought it was.

The real dilemma is that mummy kitty had started to become aggressive towards kittens and I have just found out that the mummy kitty has been rehomed - kittens will only be 7 weeks old tomorrow.

We were originally going to bring Whisky home when she was 10-11 weeks old but now we are stuck on what to do - personally I want to bring her home now as mum is now not in picture and to be honest I am worried about her being in this situation.

I am rambling now but would really love some advice!

Please do not preach to me about shelters etc, saying its my own fault for not thoroughly checking it out (I know this). I will just ignore if you begin to attack me.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Dilemma - Advice needed

Post by Kay »

if you're the kind of person who does loads of research into caring for a very young kitten, and are ready to enlist vet aid if necessary, then I suspect she'll be much better off in your home asap
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

I have had Comet since he was 11 weeks old and also had a 8 week old kitten when I was a teen (unfortunately she stays with my mum) so I know how to look after a young kitten.

Just found out 2 of the littermates have also been rehomed already and the other 2 are leaving within the week.

Did not expect any of this to happen.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

These things happen - it's a sad fact that many people are not honest in life, especially where money is involved.

You are committed to this little baby, you are experienced with young kittens - I would get her home with you ASAP, especially with the weekend coming up, monitor her, get her vet checked, and start the bonding process. She may well benefit very quickly from having a big brother in Comet, as she'll be disoriented and missing her family as she's so young.

This is not of your doing; at least one of this cat's babies is going to be going to a loving home where she will be spayed, cherished and have someone to play with.

We're looking forward to the pictures xxx
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

We are just trying to find a way for me to either pick her up within the next few hours without my partner or my partner pick her up tonight with the car.

So frustrating - thank god we already have everything we need for her! Very stressful morning!
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jacks »

Will be thinking of you - either way she'll be safe with you by the end of the day, the little darling. I know she's not from a rescue, but she's still been rescued by you - EVERY little kitten deserves a loving home :-)

Hang on in there Whiskey, your mum is on the way... x
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh, I have read this after I read Comet's post (or rather, after Edgar read Comet's post!). Thank goodness little Whisky has you! Poor kitty mum, I hope her new owners are good to her. What a trauma for her too. Whisky will be really pleased to see Comet I'm sure. This IS a rescue, don't let anyone tell you otherwise! The whole situation is a rescue situation, it doesn't have to be from a rescue centre. My oldest girl isn't from a shelter but she was still rescued from an untenable situation for her and so it's still rescue! Whisky will love to hear you tell her over and over again the story of the day you went to bring her home!

We're all with you and thinking of you. Can't wait to meet the little girl! xx
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

I just hope kitty mum gets neutered - supposedly she has had at least 2 litters in one year and when I saw her she looked pretty young. Poor wee thing!
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thinking of you and hoping all is going well. Well done for rescuing this little girl. What a terrible and unexpected situation for you. Whisky will at least be safe once she is with you.
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by hgale »

You are certainly doing the right thing by little Whisky! Good luck with him, one of my cats was also called Whisky and I'm sure he is purring with approval at Rainbow Bridge. Good luck and please give him and Comet a cuddle from me.
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

Whisky is home and in the bonding room. She is tiny - almost positive she is a she, I have tried to sex her and think that I have got it right...

She has fed and drank and has been in and out of litter tray but I am unsure whether she has done anything as it has been my partner that has been in with her all evening as I have been at work.

She also has fleas which we also were told she had been flea'd and wormed. Ugh - fed up with other people!

Comet definitely knows something is going on and has been casing the door out - we swapped them briefly and let him in to smell around and her out, then she went in the carry case and he had a sniff around. Tail went all buffed and classic scared stance, big eyes and all but did not hiss or make any other nose - then relaxed and went on his back and tried to play. Stopped at that point and will maybe try same tomorrow.

This will be a stressful few days/weeks
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

She has used the litter tray for sure this morning! YAY!

Now to phone our vets, get her registered and find out what if any flea treatment we can use on a 7 week old!
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Good girl, Whisky! Poor little mite. Thank goodness she's with her forever Mummy now. When we adopted Edgar, the charity had failed to get his injections done or have him vet checked so we inherited a bunch of problems bless him, but to be fair the charity were lovely and did apologise and offer to pay for it all (which we refused). But it does make me feel specially close to our boy because I know we stepped him and had to go the extra mile for him like you are for Whisky and our bond is deeper because of that I'm sure. He knows how loved he is, and so will your little girl. Fusses to Comet and his ickle sister!!! Good luck to you all today.

Hehehe! If Whisky turns out to be a BOY you won't have to change her little transgender name this time!
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

Exactly! Although I am 80% sure she is a girl :lol:

Got her a vet appointment at 11.10am today so we are just waiting for my partner to finish getting ready then we'll be on our way!
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

So Whisky is a BOY! Typical :lol: :lol: :lol:

He is in good health, a wee bit under weight but we can sort that and he's been treated for fleas and worms!
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jacks »

Oh my word! A little brother for Comet! Well you were well and truly taken for a ride by these people - even fleas! Disgusting! Thank goodness Whisky has fallen on HIS tiny feet and I'm sure they will soon get used to each other. You will just need to make sure he has a clean bill of health.

I'm really sorry to hear that you were treated in this way, but glad that at least one of the little brood has found someone to love them. Let's hope the others were as lucky!
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh Becci, that was almost inevitable wasn't it! :lol: On the Thread that Dare Not be Named there will be much outpouring! Two little boys! Amazing! Give him the sweetest kisses from me!
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

It really was, Sarah :lol:

Both Whisky and Comet are playing in their respective areas. The briefly met again, we had Whisky in the carrier and Comet came in did usual prowl then after a while settled down enough that he ate!

Then we let Whisky out, there was some hissing from Comet and they did tumble around some but they also ate basically right next to each other!

1 question - how do I tell when a 'tumble around' or play fighting is getting serious and I need to separate it?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hope all goes well for you and Whisky.
My first cat was only about a week old when a neighbour's dog dropped 'it' in front of my car as I was driving into town. Not sure if it was male or female, we called it 'Willow'.
As the local (farm) vet seemed to know less about cats than me. I turned to a friend who had a house full. With her help, and that of our dog Rosie, I raised a beautiful, if stroppy, black princess of a cat.
11 years on she is on the window ledge blowing kitty kisses at me. It was worth all the round-the-clock, two-hourly feeds!
It doesn't matter how you came to have him. He is home now and that's all that matters. Well done you!
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jacks »

'Tumbling around' - even with the occasional squeak - is play, and youngsters need to do this to learn boundaries. You'll probably find that Whisky will initialise it. If they are hissing, growling or yowling before they 'engage' in the tumble it's not friendly and a sharp hand clap or puff of air would be warranted. Obviously if it starts of as tumbling and someone yelps and it gets more serious, again a sharp clap or whatever you use. Don't put your hands in to the fray...

In general don't engage with any cat that is hissing, growling or snarling or the claws will be out... I do pick up Lara when she's like this but I'm the only one to be able to do so; she sees me as her mum and will then cling on to me muttering but let me soothe her.

I would be a bit wary of 'letting them to it' at this early stage - having said that Jessie went from a growling, terrified harpy to a happy playmate within 72 hours of Lara's arrival - thanks to their youthfulness, huge desire to play and Lara's indomitable spirit. I hope you will be as lucky - no reason why not.
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

Good - It was just play fighting then, they are separate again, we are gonna try building up time together very slowly and only seeing each other in bonding room right now with door wide open so Comet has an escape route.

Is it advisable to keep the introductions mainly based in the bonding room? Or should it be around the home? When should we let Whisky out of bonding room without us putting Comet into bonding room?
Hunnybunny
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hunnybunny »

Sorry, I don't understand how you thought this person was affiliated with a reputable rescue?

Surly you were put in contact with the 'fosterer' via the rescue that you contacted?

I have to say that I commented initially on this when you said you were going to see 4 week old kittens and the sex was unknown..... 2 things that a responsible rescue would never do!!!

Lesson learnt ah..........
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Becci it sounds like things are going well given the short space of time since you bought Whisky home. If they've eaten side by side that has to be very positive.

I'm looking forward to the first pictures of them together. Fancy Comet having a little brother though!!!

I think Sarah is right, there will be outpourings in abundance on Dashings!!

xx
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

Shelly, I am out numbered by males - 2 male cats, 2 male gerbils and my boyfriend! But ah well, wouldn't change them for the world.

I think Comet is not enjoying being able to get through to the big computer as it is in the bonding room but he'll just need to settle for the laptop to update his friends!
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

I just keep thinking what a blessing and a joy it is for Whisky to have been 'chosen' to be your little boy! For his situation to turn out to be dodgy and yet it didn't matter at all because he was already your baby. It wouldn't have mattered whatever the circumstances were you would be there for him. He and Comet will be fine. Some of us are waiting with baited breath to find out what Comet makes of it all!! Well done, Becci!
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Adventur ... 7798437558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plenty of pictures of both my babies on this page if you are interested! :)
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Becci I've just caught up with all this. A BOY!!! Double trouble!! Had a look at the wonderful photos. Whisky has grown quite a bit since I last saw his photo. He will soon be a big boy like Comet!! I am sure they will both be fine. I'm so glad you rescued him.

I must say that when you first posted Whisky's photo several weeks ago I did wonder if he would be a boy as I had always thought that gingers were mostly boys. But then I googled it and found out that they can be girls too. It feels a little weird referring to Whisky as a boy when we've all been used to him being a girl these last few weeks. You're doing just great with him. Give them both fusses from me.
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

Oh yes, ickle Whisky has grew quite a bit! After getting Comet and thinking he was a she and then finding out otherwise we were kind of prepared for the fact that Whisky might not have been a girl - even though we kind of wanted him to be! But oh well, that is just the way the cookie crumbles!
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

bobbys girl wrote:Hope all goes well for you and Whisky.
My first cat was only about a week old when a neighbour's dog dropped 'it' in front of my car as I was driving into town. Not sure if it was male or female, we called it 'Willow'.
As the local (farm) vet seemed to know less about cats than me. I turned to a friend who had a house full. With her help, and that of our dog Rosie, I raised a beautiful, if stroppy, black princess of a cat.
11 years on she is on the window ledge blowing kitty kisses at me. It was worth all the round-the-clock, two-hourly feeds!
It doesn't matter how you came to have him. He is home now and that's all that matters. Well done you!
Thanks :) wow, a week old! I was nervous about a 7 week old - I doubt that right now I could cope with any younger :lol:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Congrats on getting Whisky home, he's much better off with you. :)