Rehomed cat advice

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
MiddleEarthNet
Frequent Cat Chatter

Rehomed cat advice

Post by MiddleEarthNet »

Hi, I’m new to the forum and need some advice about a cat I will be getting.

The background:
I have owned cats before. I’ve had two sets of two from kittens each time. The first two were rescue kittens (second ones weren’t rescues), however I was very young so don’t remember the specifics of how to deal with that sort of cat. I’ve not owned any cats for a few years as my parents decided they had had enough of all the cat stuff. I’m on the verge of moving into my own place, which was deliberately picked because of its suitability for cats. I have SO been looking forward to getting a kitten.

About nine weeks ago, I was approached by a mate of mine, asking if I could take a four year old cat which belonged to his mother who died. My mate isn’t able able to take the cat. At the time, I had no idea when the move would take place so it was left as my mate would find someone else. Last weekend, he asked again, saying he can’t find anyone who can give her a permanent home. He really wants the cat to go to someone he knows as he wants updates about the cat (I guess it reminds him of his mother). Anyway me being the mug that I am, said yes but not until I have actually moved. All I know about the cat is she was living with a ten month old kitten, a dog and a bird (all of which were rehomed quickly). She has spent weeks on her own (in the previous owner’s house) with the neighbours going in to feed her and being bounced around between temporary homes since her owner died. She has been described as ‘super friendly, cuddly, lap cat even with strangers’. She has not been neutered.

And where I need advice:
Do rehomed cats have the same behaviour problems as rescue cats? I will be living on my own so a cat/kitten needs to be a companion for me. Also I have autism so a cat I can touch and cuddle is important (I’m gentle but I still need that sensory input). From the description I was given of her personality, she sounds absolutely ideal. But could the last nine weeks have affected that? I also have no idea how she was cared for by her owner (though might be able to find out). It will be another six weeks before I move.

I have a pretty good idea how long it takes for a kitten to settle in and how long to leave it before they are allowed outside. I have no idea for an adult cat. I know it’s probably longer but any advice about timescales or how to know the cat is ready would be great. I have no idea whether the cat was allowed out or not with her previous owner.

My mate lives a little over two hours away so the cat is probably somewhere near him. Arrangements for collecting the cat aren’t made yet but if I have to pick the cat up, I have never been in a car for more than 20 minutes with a howling moggy and I know how hard that is. ALL advice for how to travel a long distance with a cat is really needed.

Though there is no doubt I can give this cat a good home and I would love her, I still want a kitten. Given that she was living with a kitten, would buying a kitten at some point in the future when she has settled and established herself as the dominant cat be ok? I want the memories of a crazy kitten as part of a complete picture of all the memories of a cat growing old.

Do you think it’s ok (or not) to ask my mate to pay for her to be neutered before I get her? I’m currently out of work and it will be a few months before I return to work so money is tight. If I had been buying a kitten I could have timed for after I am in work. I plan on asking that he makes sure she has had flee treatment as I know it’s easier to control if she never brings flees into the house in the first place.

I don’t actually know what the cat is called (or her colour for that matter) but I know I am quite particular about names. Her name might be totally fine but if it isn’t, I will rename her. Is it better to just get on with it without telling my mate? I know cats don’t actually learn their names, they respond to the tone of the voice and the voice going up at the end of the word.

Is there any other advice that you can give for taking on a rehomed cat?

Sorry about the long post. I know it sounds a bit like I would prefer a kitten (I would) but if she really is ‘super friendly, cuddly, lap cat even with strangers’ then that will more than make up for that she four years old. Particularly as with a kitten you have no idea what personality they will be. And I just love all cats so will form a bond anyway.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Rehomed cat advice

Post by fjm »

I think you are being extremely sensible.

I would want to meet the cat before agreeing to home her - sometimes the match just isn't right, especially as you have been thinking of a kitten for so long. If you like her when you meet I think it is more than acceptable to ask your friend to pay both for spaying her and a full vet check - I assume she has been an indoor cat, or else she would by now have produced several litters of kittens, but she could still be affected by FIV or FeLV or some other long term condition. In fact I think he should get both the spay and the check done as soon as possible whather or not you agree to take her, as it will make it much easier for her to find a good permanent home.

It does sound as if she would live happily with a kitten, but I wonder if she might not find it easier if the kitten were already in residence when she arrived. She sounds like a sweet cat who has had a lot of upheaval in a few short months - to adapt to a loving new home and then be asked to share it may be a big ask. To adapt to a new home with a kitten already in it might be easier.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

I agree with Fjm. I'd also like to add, I have what have been described as 'severe and enduring' mental health problems and it's also thought I'm Asperger's, but it hasn't stopped me from living with cats all my life :D Cats are a great comfort.

And, also - it's a cliche but they're all different. I don't think rescue cats have any different behavioural problems to cats who've had a settled home from the word go. I know someone whose elderly father died, and his cat had to live alone for weeks in the house (with care from his daughter who lives nearby) as the daughter has a very possessive dog who hates cats. A home was found, finally, in a household with other cats, and dogs - and the cat settled in straight away. Years ago I started to feed a very hostile feral tomcat, managed to get him neutered; he moved in with my other cats (from the same feral colony) and he was a total teddybear. You'd never have known he'd had such a hard life. My youngest cat found a home as a small kitten from an ordinary home - and her new owners couldn't cope with her aggression. At 6/8 months she came to me and, despite a settled background, she's been one of the most difficult cats I've known. Very loving though!

So it can be impossible to tell ...

I do hope it works out for you and this cat - with all very best wishes and please let us know how you go on :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi and welcome to CC. I agree with what fjm and Lilith have said and can't add much to to it except to say that, like Lilith, I took in an older stray tom cat who was quite hostile and frightened at first. But with a little TLC he changed into a real cuddle bunny.

While agreeing that your friend should get the cat checked out and neutered, I would add that, as you are unemployed and presumably on some kind of benefit (?) you can get financial help to neuter a cat.

I think you need to see this cat and see if you get on with each other, hope so. Please let us know how you go on.
MiddleEarthNet
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by MiddleEarthNet »

Thank you very much for everyone’s advice. It’s definitely true I had been thinking of a kitten. I had even been using language such as ‘kitten shopping’ to describe my excitement at finding the perfect kitten.
I told my mum earlier and she helped me realise I felt pressured into saying yes (part of my difficulties associated with autism).

Anyway...
My mate sent me a photo of her.
BB830C31-D15E-43C2-B14C-EE91043338EA.jpeg
She is cute :) . I think her face is really pretty. Can’t tell what colours she has on her back. And apparently her name is Fury. The original photo, I can see her legs but I’ve cropped it because you can see my mate holding her. Her eyes, ears and fur all look healthy in the photo.

Meeting her first would be ideal. But it’s a 4.5 hour round trip. But I could see if I happen to be somewhere that way for something unrelated and do it that way. If that isn’t practical, would asking for a video of her be any use? Or just extra hassle.

I don’t think I could get a kitten first. I can’t afford two cats whilst I am out of work.

I didn’t know you could get financial help to neuter a cat if you are on benefits. I am currently on benefits so I could look into this. But it’s sounding like from all three of you (and my mum) that it’s totally acceptable to ask my mate to get it sorted first along with a health check. I couldn’t afford to take on a cat with known long term health problems.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

She has clear eyes, an open and alert face and doesn't seem to mind being pick up. That's all good! Oh, and she is also very pretty. :D
MiddleEarthNet
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by MiddleEarthNet »

bobbys girl wrote:She has clear eyes, an open and alert face and doesn't seem to mind being pick up. That's all good! Oh, and she is also very pretty. :D
I am pleased she does appear to be a healthy cat. From the full photo, you can see my mate isn’t quite holding her fully (not used to handling cats) and she still seems relaxed so that shows to me that she’s fine with it.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

She's a sweetheart! And she does look healthy. It's a great pity she doesn't live nearer to you. She's unusual - what they call a 'dilute' tortie, cream and blue, very pretty.

She's obviously used to being handled, but with not being spayed she might be prone to moodiness, through frustration at not being mated. This is quite normal and should disappear after spaying when her hormones will have settled down.

I did mean to say, if you did take her on, about changing her name - I wouldn't worry. While there are cats who cling to a certain name, most acquire several nicknames and answer to them, so I'm sure you'd be able to change her over. Names are important.

With being on benefit you'd certainly qualify for a voucher from the CP towards spaying and probably entitlement to take her to the local PDSA clinic for any problems, but unfortunately their clinics are few and far between.

Whatever you decide, good luck and do keep us posted.
MiddleEarthNet
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by MiddleEarthNet »

I’ve never heard the term dilute tortie before. I’ve seen the cream and blue, just didn’t know the term (the dilute bit). Both the classic tortie and the dilute one are beautiful colourings.

I do think it’s good she’s used to being handled. As for me, being able to pick a cat up is really important. And the more I think about it, the more I do want her even though she’s not a kitten. I want a healthy cat that is friendly and likes being held and fussed, that is the perfect companion for an adult with autism living on their own (and also one that isn’t going to hide in a corner when my support workers are over). And personality wise, she does meet that requirement. Or at least it appears that she does. Also, I don’t want to let my mate down. It’s important to him that the cat is looked after.

In terms of name. All my previous cats had proper names and my ideal would be to continue that pattern. As for nicknames, yep all four of my previous ones had a good range of nicknames.

I checked and there is a PDSA vet about four miles from where I’ll be moving to. So that’s good.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

That's excellent! Round here the nearest PDSA is right the other side of the next city and one heck of a journey (and travel costs for anyone on benefit.)

Yeah, I like to give 'proper' names ... so I ended up with a cat called Mouse ... :oops: It was a kitten nickname that stuck.

Another thing occurred to me - if you do decide to meet or take 'Fury', don't be alarmed if she's on the skinny side - un-neutered adult cats, no matter how well-fed, generally are; they acquire that nice plump cosy look after neutering.

All the best :)
MiddleEarthNet
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by MiddleEarthNet »

Thanks for the tip about unneutered cats looking thin. I wouldn’t have known that. Goes to show that even though neutering is important, it does affect the health of the cat.

A cat called Mouse? I’m guessing that nickname started because the cat was timid? My previous cats were Katie, Sophie, Frankie and Alfie.

Anyway, I’ll keep you updated on the progress towards this cat. There is likely to be a few quiet weeks until I move.