Stray cat coming every day, has lots of scratches. Looks so sad.

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Jane-Smith
New Cat Chatter

Stray cat coming every day, has lots of scratches. Looks so sad.

Post by Jane-Smith »

Hi all, I am new to this forum, so hello all. I would just need a bit of advice please. We have had this same cat coming for 9 months now, we feed him twice a day. He is a very friendly cat, not neutered but recently his nose has a nasty scratch on it and he hisses and spits if I go near his ears.

We have 5 cats and they hate him, but he is a big boy so they mostly keep their distance. He is tabby on top and white underneath.

He is generally a very nice cat, but I think at the moment he is not feeling so well and he looks so sad.

He has obviously belonged to someone at some time. But not for a long, long time. I have asked around, but no luck there.

Any ideas what would be the best for him. Ideally he would make a super pet, but he needs neutering as well.

Wish we could have him, but our cats just wouldn't have it.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Re: Stray cat coming every day, has lots of scratches. Looks so sad.

Post by Sniper1 »

Hi and welcome it may be worth contacting your local cats protection and explain the situation asking if they could help you with his neutering and vet check and having him back and continue to feed him as they may well not have shelter space at the moment it would be a big help to get him neutered and his ears liooked at flea treated and wormed or if you are able you could just do that yourself then once his hormones settle he will be much more rehomeable and your cats will also probably be less wary of him so in time he may fit in a small outdoor shelter for him can be made or purchased fairly cheaply and give him somewhere safe and dry to sleep good luck with him and many thanks for your kindness
Jane-Smith
New Cat Chatter

Post by Jane-Smith »

Hiya, thanks for the advice. I have front lined him, and have been trying to clean his face with leucillin. I find that very effective with cuts etc. Even worked on myself.

He is such a nice cat and I have no idea where he goes the rest of the day. Yes I will ring CPL and see if they can help with his ears and neutering.

Will let you know how he gets on.

Thanks a lot.
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

Hi again if you have no luck with your local cp try asking your vet for a contact for your local RSPCA branch most areas have local branches some better than others and you met get help for neutering etc from them if you explain the situation and you don't mind having him back and continue to look out for him
MT
New Cat Chatter

Post by MT »

Hello Jane
First of all thank you for caring for this guy. Keeping an eye on him and offering affection and sustenance. Youre doing a great thing.
You say he looks like he hasnt had a home for a long time he may well be getting on a bit? Is it possible hes a bit poorly?
I was adopted once in the same way..big old chap came along wanting a meal and a hug. I think if you contact CP they may undertake a check up and if you can foster hum? If you have a shed he could perhaps lodge in? An outdoor place he can sleep safely in that might be an answer all round. If he needs neautering it will calm down your kitties. They are mainly on defence mode due to his size and scent.
Im not sure about handing him to the rspca. I would try to confirn the outlook / protocol of an unneutered older abandoned male as per rspca policy. Im quite sure it would break your heart to find he may have been destroyed. He would have been better for him to pop by and enjoy a meal and hello from you.