Introducing new adult cat

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Sargan
Returning Cat Chatter

Introducing new adult cat

Post by Sargan »

Have had to take on my parents adult cat, as they will now not be returning home (gone to retirement home) we have 2 option - take it on, or put in in cats home
Our existing car is around 18 yr old .... so been with us a while.
Unknown age on new cat ..... but certainly an adult, it wandered into my parents about 5 years ago - and stayed. All I know is that it is a long haired black & white cat.

Step 1 ... we visited and fed it twice a day for 8 weeks at my parents while they have been in hospital, so it got used to us, now moved it into our house ... currently kept in separate rooms to our cat. It is a very affectionate animal.

The question is what is best way to introduce the cats to each other ..... do I keep them separate for a few more days.
Do we hold both cats and sit in same room so they can see each other but not let them at each other.

Just open the doors to the room and let them sort it out themselves

Put them both in cat crates and leave crates along side each other for a few Hrs.? so they at least see each other.

Also how long do I need to keep 'new' cat indoors, without fear of it going out and not returning ..... we are taking it into garden each way to let it have a wander & sniff around.

Looking for suggestions.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Introducing new adult cat

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome and good on you for looking after this cat :)

Definitely you'll have to keep him in for a few weeks, I believe most people say a month, and then only let him out under supervision so that he gradually learns the way back to his own door. A good tip is, when he's beginning to go out under his own steam, is to let him out for a short time just before a meal; he'll hang around.

Introductions - you might find this link useful - https://www.catchat.org/index.php/new-cat-introductions

All the very best and hope all goes well.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Hello and welcome :) just to add this link may also be helpful:

https://www.catchat.org/index.php/new-cat-in-the-home

One thing I would say, as your cat is elderly (and having introduced two elderly cats a few times) is things will usually go ok if your own cat can feel secure that he’s still top cat in his own home and your new cat safe in a new home with lots of love. So giving them both lots of love so neither feels left out - which I’m sure you’re doing anyway. Feeding their favourite foods together e.g. so they associate being together as a good thing really helps etc. Best of luck!
Sargan
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Sargan »

The cats know each other are there - will keep it this way for another few days, then let them see each other and see what happens.
May even try putting them both in same room and make a fuss of both and see if they accept it.

The new cat is being let out each day after feeding - its sits by door - with us watching it does not disappear into the woods, it is having a good rummage around (has about 1/2 acre of garden) hopefully this will imprint on her over a few days .... then in about 3 weeks let it go out and see what happens.

The ctas do look at each other through window when one is outside.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Sounds like things are going well and some good advice has already been given.

One I will add, if your parents are in a retirement home close by and were attached to the cat, approach the home about taking it to visit occasionally. At the start of this year my Mother had to move into a nursing home and I adopted her old cat, my Mum was far more upset about what would happen to Stroppy than she was about any other part of moving into a home. When we were looking for one for her one question we asked would could we bring the cat in to visit and all said 'yes'. Once they had both settled in their new homes we took Stroppy into see my Mum every 2 to 3 weeks for an hour or so and it made my Mum's day, even the staff said how much brighter she was for several days after each visit. A cat carrier for Stroppy, a lidded plastic box to use a a transportable litter tray and a sign for the door warning people that there was a cat loose in the room was all that was needed.