Advice for adopting shelter cat

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Advice for adopting shelter cat

Post by fjm » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:42 pm

I gave up closing internal doors soon after I got a cat - or rather two cats. It is just about possible to cope with the in/out demands of one, but with two there is always one on the wrong side of a door...

Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Lilith » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:04 pm

Lol yes, like the Rum Tum Tugger :lol:

Nameless, I do sympathise, sounds as if Madam Marshmallow is turning into a right little diva! :o

Nameless
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Nameless » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:01 pm

Madame is turning into someone I never saw in shelter.
This morning I let her in the bedroom. Put her on my bed, tried to get some sleep (in vain). She sniffed almost everything from me up to pillows, jumped down, sniffe floor, then tried to go under PC table. Had to get out her become she messes with tons of cables. Madame ran out of bedroom...only to meow later.

In shelter Madame was a passive cat. Never meowed. Very silent purrs. When volunteers offered her food, she could just stare somewhere. Third week at home, she meows when she sees closed doors. She purrs really loudly. She likes to lay on her back, stretch as if telling "now, slave, rub my belly NOW!". In shelter she used to use scratchboard: at home it is still very rare occasion (nope, catnip did not help). She is almost a different cat.

Just how to fight these meows of Madame Marshmallow Rum Tum Tugger, except ignoring - little ideas.

fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by fjm » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:36 pm

Well, if you are going to ignore her you will have to stick to it - otherwise you are teaching her that in order to get your attention she has to really persevere! If you are finding that difficult I would try rationing attention when you are busy - a few moments of conversation, a quick rub, then a gentle pat-pat to tell her that's her lot for the time being. I can see that her desire to be with you must come as a bit of a shock after her demeanour in the shelter, but at the same time it is flattering - she has very quickly come to trust you and to be confident enough to explore. Now she just has to train you to respond to her orders...!

Nameless
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Nameless » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:33 am

Update: concerts continues. Even if I do not pay attention to meowing.
Tried one experiment: brought Madame Marshmallow to my bedroom. Of course, when I was here to control things. She sniffed again, was interested in bed. Lied there, wanted to be rubbed. I left foor open, she could go in/out freely. Well, she left room soon. Even ddi not bother to check computer table.
Note: she did not wish wish to lie and sleep near to me.
Just when i went to bathroom, I heard meowing. I did not respond in any way. Looks like any situation when I am behind closed doors gets her to meow, to demand attention. And I can't let her to wc or bathroom...