Temporary cat rehoming

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
sarah_brooks
New Cat Chatter

Temporary cat rehoming

Post by sarah_brooks »

Hi, I have two lovely cats that I'm desperately trying to find a temporary home for for 6-12 months (more likely 6). I'm moving into my in-laws temporarily and we are buying our own home later this year. I love my cats so much and I really wanted to take them but due to allergies we can't. I'm looking for any area, I just want someone who would 'foster' them until we are able to take the back. They are sisters and I don't really want to split them up but if it means having them both back after that's okay. Does anyone have any advice or contacts?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Temporary cat rehoming

Post by Lilith »

Hi Sarah, this is an awful dilemma and one I can sympathise with, as I had problems due to ME three years ago. A friend of a friend, who runs a rescue, very kindly offered to foster my cats and it was a lifesaver - for all of us.

Some rescues will do this to augment their outgoings and charges vary - I wasn't asked formally for a fixed sum but I gave enough to cover costs and then some extra, I was so thankful, and undertook to pay any vet fees too; you're not just looking at food and litter, but time, electricity, petrol ... And every rescue, around late spring, early summer and on into autumn, faces the 'kitten season' when they're up to their ears in kittens and abandoned mother cats, so you can understand if some places have to refuse you.

Here's a link to your local rescues though - https://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-r ... uk-ireland

And I do hope you find somewhere that will take your cats in. Good luck.