Adopted Cat Advice

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Hmayton
New Cat Chatter

Adopted Cat Advice

Post by Hmayton »

My dad had a male Siamese for 5yrs. As long as I can remember he’s always been aggressive. He would attack you if you tried petting him. My dad was the only person who could really touch him but was still always standoffish. My dad passed away and I inherited him, now having him for 3 yrs now and he acts like a totally different cat now. He’s very affectionate, talkative, and playful. He’s even extremely clingy towards me. Not that not I’m loving this new side cause I totally am🥰, I’m just curious what brought this side of him out when the first 5 yrs living with my dad and seeing me visiting he was just plain mean?
angelaj
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Adopted Cat Advice

Post by angelaj »

Hello

I wonder if he is just a one person cat and saw you as a visitor who took attention away from him. One of my cats, Tigger, really didn't like anyone but me and would attack visitors to the house - he would lie in wait for them under the sofa and bite their ankles as soon as they sat down. The only person he was strangely attracted to was my dad who is allergic to cats (I figured he knew and it was his way of getting my dad to leave!)

Now that you are HIS human you are the centre of his world which is why he loves you so much (also, in a totally cat way you now control the food - don't bite the hand that feeds you and all that.)

I have very little experience with Siamese, but I understand that they are a breed that can bond very strongly with one person.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Adopted Cat Advice

Post by Mollycat »

I've been letting this question stew but what Angelaj says makes a lot of sense. I had a little very strongly bonded girl years ago, Siamese cross Tortie with a lot of Siamese character. She was absolutely my cat even though I left home when she was 2 and got her back when she was 12, whenever I was there nobody else existed. My mum was second and my dad third. When I first got a boyfriend she hated him because he would take me away, and when I moved out he would visit with me and she loved him. Funny little critters!