Potential fosterer - Yorkshire

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Jaynepg1967
New Cat Chatter

Potential fosterer - Yorkshire

Post by Jaynepg1967 »

Hi,

I'm an experienced cat owner and have 4 of my own. I'm interested in fostering, and live in quite a large house in a quiet area in South Milford ( between Leeds, York & Selby, close to A1 and M62) where there is plenty of space to roam and climb. Unfortunately as the house is open plan I have been turned down by a couple of rescues because I dont have a specific separate room.

I have a couple of large crates and cats/kittens cat be separated overnight using these in the kitchen or conservatory.

Please let me know if you think I may be able to help, or feel free to pass on my details to someone who can use my help.

Thanks,

Jayne.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Potential fosterer - Yorkshire

Post by Mollycat »

What a shame, don't give up. There are some small local rescues whose fosterers just bring rescues into a mini colony of their own and other rescue cats. I was surprised to hear this as I didn't think that would work with cats but was assured that any new cats in a home where that is the way things are done learn quickly. Anyway I hope your offer of kindness can be taken up.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Do you have a spare room? I have mixed foster cats with my own but it isn't always a good thing and having proper space in case you get a problem cat is essential, plus the fact they would need isolating for at least two weeks to make sure they dont have anything like cat flu that can be transmitted to yours, and cages aren't ideal for that length of time.

Sadly Mollycat, that logic doesn't always work, the worst I had was a foster cat who adored one of mine, even though it wasn't reciprocated. Unfortunately he died from oral cancer and she grieved so much she had to be found somewhere with other cats. Then there was my Molly, who I thought preferred living in my bedroom till I took a break and realised the constant flow of cats was stressing her, she was a different cat after that, I felt so guilty that she was stressed in her own home.
Cat-FAQ
Cat Chat Adviser

Post by Cat-FAQ »

Hi Jayne,

Thank you for offering a foster home to a cat in need. The following link on the main Cat Chat site might be useful for you, if you haven't already seen it: https://www.catchat.org/index.php/foster-cat-kitten

I understand that you've already been turned down by a couple of rescues because you don't have a separate room in your home to house fostered cats. However, it might be worth contacting other rescues to see whether they could offer you any guidance on adapting your home for fostering. You can find a list of rescue and rehoming organisations in North Yorkshire here: https://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-r ... -yorkshire

You could also email Cat Chat's Help Desk for further advice on fostering: cat.advice (at) catchat.org

I hope that helps.