Re-homing after a death

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
kentbeauty74
New Cat Chatter

Re-homing after a death

Post by kentbeauty74 »

My mother passed away on the 17th April 2020 and I have been desperately trying to find her cat a new home which has been unsuccessful. I have tried family, friends and neighbours to no avail. I, myself have two dogs which do not get on with cats otherwise I would take him in without a doubt. He’s a beautiful, neutered male ginger cat approx. 8-9yrs old and extremely loving, loyal and friendly. I have been going up to my mother’s house every day to feed him etc but he is getting very lonely. Is there anyone who is searching for a loving cat to give a fur ever home to?
Kind regards

Claire
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Re-homing after a death

Post by Mollycat »

Just wanted to say sorry for your loss, so tough at any time but especially so now.

Unfortunately no matter how much I have always wanted a ginger, Molly is adamant there is no vacancy here, plus we're an indoor only home. But I really hope you can find a suitable home for him very soon. Would it be possible to have him safely in one room at your house away from the dogs so that at least he is with you?
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Re-homing after a death

Post by Ruth B »

I wanted to say I am so sorry for you and I wish I could help, but unfortunately I already have a houseful. I do understand though, it is just 2 years since my own Mother died and I had to take in her elderly cat, one of the things she was most concerned about at the end was what would happen to Stroppy, her cat. I was lucky that, while things were never smooth, she and my three did learn to live together for the few months she was with us, she died a few months after my Mother.

I can only echo what Mollycat has said to see if you or any family member could give over a spare room for him for a while and then get in contact with the likes of Cats Protection or your local charities to see if they can help rehome him when things have settled down. Unfortunately with Covid19 about all the charities are hard pressed to take in any but the most urgent cases, and most won't rehome until they can safely do home checks again.