new male and female kittens post neuter/spay care

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
14_ya
New Cat Chatter

new male and female kittens post neuter/spay care

Post by 14_ya »

hey guys, so my girlfriend and I have just adopted a pair of kittens, a boy (Magnus) and a girl (Lola), we rescued them for a local shelter and we were just wondering what we are going to have to do when we get them neutered and spayed, in the sense of keeping them seperate due to them having to recover from their surgeries, im anticipating that magnus will probably recover faster due to lola's spay being more invasive, obviously they're only 10 weeks old but its something we're going to have to think about soon

a few questions:
- they are going to be indoor cats so are collars necessary?
- best type of litter for them, they're currently on silica gel, happy to stick with it but heard that some kittens tend to eat it for some reason
- also any suggestions on when and how much to feed them, for example dry food in the morning and wet food for dinner, etc?
Cat-FAQ
Cat Chat Adviser

Re: new male and female kittens post neuter/spay care

Post by Cat-FAQ »

Hi,

The following link may be useful for you: https://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-k ... euter-spay

You could also email Cat Chat’s Help Desk for further advice: cat.advice (at) catchat.org

Best wishes
JenMorri88
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by JenMorri88 »

14_ya wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:58 am hey guys, so my girlfriend and I have just adopted a pair of kittens, a boy (Magnus) and a girl (Lola), we rescued them for a local shelter and we were just wondering what we are going to have to do when we get them neutered and spayed, in the sense of keeping them seperate due to them having to recover from their surgeries, im anticipating that magnus will probably recover faster due to lola's spay being more invasive, obviously they're only 10 weeks old but its something we're going to have to think about soon

a few questions:
- they are going to be indoor cats so are collars necessary?
- best type of litter for them, they're currently on silica gel, happy to stick with it but heard that some kittens tend to eat it for some reason
- also any suggestions on when and how much to feed them, for example dry food in the morning and wet food for dinner, etc?
I think your cats don't need collars
cattitudes2
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by cattitudes2 »

Magnus and Lola might need to go in separate rooms to recover, if they tend to play too rough together. But the vet is the best person to ask. If there are sutures, they wouldn't want them pulled out. Usually the discharge staff at the hospital give post surgery instructions.

Indoor cats usually don't need collars. And there is the risk of the collar getting caught. Some cats seem to get on fine with collars, so it's difficult to say either way.

The litter we use with our three cats is clumping litter. If there is a risk of the kittens eating the silica litter, it's probably best not to use it. Maybe try another litter.

Because Magnus and Lola are kittens, it is the perfect time to establish good diet. So many indoor cats end up overweight and sick! Our vet says cats need only 1/2 cup dry food a day. When you see the vet for Magnus and Lola's surgery, perhaps you could ask about how to proceed with their feeding. Wet food is a good idea - especially for kidney health. Probably some dry food in the morning and some wet for dinner, as you mention. And if you have leftover wet food in the can, and it goes in the fridge, you can lightly heat it in the microwave and add a little water to mix like a slurry. That is easier on the tummy than cold food. The vet told me this for my male cat.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

There is absolutely no need for indoor cats to wear collars, though microchipping is adviseable just in case.

Some vets recommend some dry food to help their teeth, there is not much evidence to suggest this helps reduce tartar as claimed but it is worth thinking about something in their diet that takes some work to chew or break off. Think dog chews, but for cats. To keep jaws working and healthy and minds occupied, not necessarily to reduce tartar. I give mine Webbox sticks or a strip of meat (not neatly cut into nibble size pieces) but if I was starting again with a kitten I would try raw bones as nature intended.

As for the amount to feed, most cats regulate their own food intake very well and maintain a healthy weight without humans interfering. This is harder for indoor cats who don't have the mental and physical stimulation of a natural outdoor territory, but some still can and do it very well. This is also much easier with wet food. Letting them self regulate also helps reduce food obsession which can lead to weight issues and stress. Many cats are very well balanced and healthy with humans feeding set amounts at set times, I just prefer a more fluid approach and it's always worked very well for all my cats with one exception who it turned out was physically ill as well as having emotional problems.
jjuliajul11
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by jjuliajul11 »

There is absolutely no need for indoor cats to wear collars, though microchipping is adviseable I think