Help! Newly adopted cat is aggressive

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Perth89
New Cat Chatter

Help! Newly adopted cat is aggressive

Post by Perth89 »

Hi there,

Hoping to get some advice. My partner and I recently adopted a 2 yr old male from a shelter. Due to lockdown we weren’t able to visit but the shelter did a virtual home check and sent lots of videos. We picked a cat and asked lots of questions, including whether he was a biter / scratcher. They told us no, he had a lovely temperament.

The first day he arrived he hid in a corner and we left him alone- he ate and used his litter tray fine. Second day he spent most of the time under the bed. Today he’s ventured out and is definitely more confident - he’s been meowing a lot while rubbing against our legs/ head butting us, but when we pet him he bites or scratches us after a short while, and hisses. He also hisses at small things, like moving his food bowl.

We’re really concerned we’ve been misled into taking in a cat that’s actually quite aggressive, which is going to be an issue as we have young nieces / nephews come visit quite a bit. Is it normal for rescues to be like this initially before calming down? I’ve only had kittens in the past that have been v.affectionate from day one so I’m not sure how best to deal with with this. Any help gratefully received!
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Re: Help! Newly adopted cat is aggressive

Post by papa cat »

I am certainly no expert in this but if he is head bunting you and rubbing up against you it indicates he wants to be friendly with you but right now it's DON''T TOUCH ME I'M NOT READY FOR THAT!!! so just keep on feeding him and just touch him from time to time ,maybe just a stroke or a gentle flick as you pass by each other. He will then learn you are not a threat or hostile.
Perth89
New Cat Chatter

Post by Perth89 »

Thank you! I thought that might be it - in all honesty it’s more the hissing I’m concerned about - I’ve read plenty about biting and scratching being quite common in new rescues, and it’s just a case of giving them time - but the hissing strikes me as more of an aggression problem, is that right? He does it quite frequently over such small things! Eg when you give him a treat and then don’t give him another, etc.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

In my opinion hissing isn't really a problem, it's just their way of warning you off and working out where the lines are drawn in his new house. When I have to introduce a new cat to my resident ones I expect there to be a bit of hissing and never worry about it, it's their way of sorting things out between them and rarely leads to anything physical, unfortunately he doesn't understand that you don't speak 'cat' that well. My advice would just be to look away and ignore him if he hisses at you for extra treats, or if you are doing something you have to finish, like picking up a food bowl to wash it, just say 'no' in a calm, quiet voice and carry on, when you have done that task offer him a few treats or a hand for him to rub against so he knows everything is alright.

You say he is happy to head butt you and rub against you, so I would suggest instead of approaching him with the intention of stroking him, just hold out your hand and let him initiate the fuss and rub where he wants to be rubbed, I've know several cats that weren't keen on a full body stroke, but loved to be rubbed behind the ears, or even along the side of the body instead of the back.
Perth89
New Cat Chatter

Post by Perth89 »

Ah okay, that’s really helpful, thank you! Will definitely start ignoring or saying “no”. Hopefully he’ll settle in the next few weeks - have to keep reminding myself it’s only week one! And have no idea how he was treated before so that’s probably a factor.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I suspect you're right about his past - there may be good reason for him to fear approaching hands

I think you'll need to bear in mind he might have been mistreated by children in the past, so you may need to shut him away when your nieces and nephews visit until you are satisfied they won't hurt or frighten him unintentionally
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

On the third day I really would not see this as any cause for concern, as long as you handle it right and don't inadvertently make this into a habit.

Hissing is a very normal expression of uncertainty and is far from always aggressive. My timid rescue hisses a LOT - even at her toys while she is playing with them. I guess just like people some cats swear more than others!

I would say this sounds a lot like he wants to be friendly but is uncertain of you and not ready for you to touch him, especially bending down from above him if he is rubbing your legs. He needs to know that he can trust you and you will respect his feline ways, individual character and personal space. Even without any bad experiences, being wary is a key quality of catness.

When he hisses, tell him in a soft voice it's ok and back off just a little to respect his space but not away completely, I will be surprised if this doesn't soon cause him to do a little twirl with arched back, head and tail high and a little tail quiver to say oo you actually listen to me so I might be able to trust you.

Also as others have already said, offer a hand to sniff and for him to rub if he wants to. It's easy to forget cats are just as smell orientated as dogs. Just don't assume that if he rubs your hand it's ok for you to touch yet, always be humble and respectful and you will win his respect and trust in return.

Also I would engage him with play, that will help him forget to be nervous for a while and become normal very soon.