Do cats treat diseases of their owners?

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Makov
New Cat Chatter

Do cats treat diseases of their owners?

Post by Makov »

Hi guys!
I think that many people know that cats like to lie on their owners when a person is ill. And many people think that cats treat their owners for illness. I heard stories about how cats saved their owners from various diseases at the cost of their lives. But on this site (https://bulencia.com/cat/36-why-do-cat-purr) I read that cats like to lie on body parts that hurt because a diseased organ radiates heat. Is this nonsense? Or is the author right? Your point of view is very interesting and I will be grateful if you back up your words with facts.
Thank.
ReichertCaleb
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

Re: Do cats treat diseases of their owners?

Post by ReichertCaleb »

Cats sleep with people, especially like sleeping with their owners. Should or should not? Cats tend to occupy the house. So in the first place, don't put them in bed. According to a survey of the Pet Products Association of America (APPA), 62% of cat owners in the US will let them sleep in the same bed as their owner. Being with a cat can be very comfortable, but there are many other dangers.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Cats are not a magic cure for anything, if they were cat owners would never get sick. And cats would never get sick.

Pets in general do have some health benefits for relaxation and responsibility, and especially for mental health issues. Some research finds that the frequency of the cat purr is the same range as the vibrations that help support bone healing. Purring also promotes relaxation, which in turn may help boost the immune system.

Some cats snuggle up when we're ill, probably because we're actually still and welcome the affection. Some cats don't care. Some sense pregnancy and again they respond differently, some positive and some avoidant.

There's no reliable consistency, really.
Oreosmom
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Oreosmom »

I think it depends on the cat. We’ve had more cats than I can count over the years (we are in our late 60s now) and we currently have 5 cats. Most couldn’t care less if either of us were ill. They snuggle with us if they’re so inclined because we’re convenient but no more or less than usual. But we have had two that I called “medicine” kitties. One attached herself to me and the other to my husband. The one that was “mine” (or I was “hers”) would lay on or near where I was hurting. It may be that I had a fever in that area and it was warmer, but she always chose that spot on my body to snuggle and purr. She died many years ago but I miss her still.
mWttrs2
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by mWttrs2 »

I have back problems (better to say neck) and my cat always lay down on this part of my body