Introducing kittens 2 months apart in age.

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
lkey98
New Cat Chatter

Introducing kittens 2 months apart in age.

Post by lkey98 »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could advise me. We have a very playful 7 month old kitten who we are introducing shortly to a 5 month old kitten we have adopted. Should I continue the processes I would take with an older cat given that they are at a similar stage in life? Or are they likely to be close enough in age for me to be able to move slightly faster with things. Everything online talks about introducing older cats ie adult cats to kittens and this isn’t my case. Many thanks, Lizzie
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Introducing kittens 2 months apart in age.

Post by Mollycat »

I don't know but I would still go for a structured introduction as the 7 month old is old enough to have developed a strong sense of territory and be far enough from kittenhood to have forgotten playmates. Better safe than sorry.

As for going faster, there is no prescribed length of time so you must always go a little slower than the cats' pace anyway. This can be days or weeks or months but every step of progress should become the new normal before moving to the next step. Taking the time now gives them the best chance of being close lifelong friends.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Introducing kittens 2 months apart in age.

Post by fjm »

I would start slow, and then let the kittens set the pace. I adopted Pippin with his brother Mallow, then when they were about 8 months old Mallow vanished off the face of the earth. I searched for weeks to no avail, and Pippin was desperate for a playmate, so while at my parents' house for Christmas I phoned all the rescue centres and located a kitten of a similar age being fostered close by. Her fosterer brought her to visit us, we introduced the two in my mother's kitchen, and within half an hour they were playing and half an hour after that were curled up together snuggling and grooming. I would recommend going more slowly on your cat's own territory, but sometimes it really can be very easy with kittens.