Breed Knowledge

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Srathbone1
New Cat Chatter

Breed Knowledge

Post by Srathbone1 »

Hi,

I need some help and advice dealing with an advert for 2 cats I am interested in rehoming.

The advert states that the 2 cats are a Scottish Fold and a Bengal but I have doubts whether this is the case?

Can anyone please advise as to what breed the cats may be, and how to continue interacting with the owner in this instance, as the advert wants £300 for the two cats and I question whether I'm paying too much if they are not the breed stated?

TIA
Attachments
Screenshot_20200901-095226__01.jpg
Screenshot_20200901-095231__01.jpg
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Breed Knowledge

Post by fjm »

They certainly don't look much like either of the breeds stated, although could be 50%. Do they have pedigrees? Registered? Any proof of being pure bred? Nowt wrong with mixed up moggies, but the price seems steep if that is the case.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

I think FJM is being very polite. They don't look anything like the stated breeds, if you wanted to pass these off as something they're not then Siamese and Bombay might be more plausible. But what's up with the black one's leg?

Anyway a personal opinion here but aside from a proper rescue's "adoption fee" any other payment wanted for "rehoming" is SELLING and let's be honest about that. My cat was genuinely rehomed, with the rescue organisation acting as cupid and NO MONEY expected from anyone (I did make a donation to the rescue but they didn't want an adoption fee because the cat had never gone into their care, she was a home-to-home). "Rehoming" moggies without papers or pedigrees with is not rehoming, it's buying and selling, aka trading, in live animals.

The law has changed recently and anyone selling puppies and kittens needs a licence https://boughtbymany.com/news/article/l ... d-kittens/ so you may want to check how the new laws apply to these private sellers "rehoming" adult animals.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I think Lucy's Law only applies to pups and kittens under 6 months old. But I agree there is nothing Scottish Fold or Bengal about this pair - could be the current owner was misinformed - the Pets4Homes ad doesn't read as if English is their first language. There are so many scams at the moment, with pets in high demand, that I would tread very, very carefully. Always best to go through a good rescue, who will have health checked and temperament assessed cats thoroughly - the centres round here now have cats and kittens available, although the procedures have been adapted for Covid safety.

I would be wary of a Bengal - or cat with a lot of Bengal in its parentage - if looking for an indoor cat. They can need a lot of mental and physical exercise...
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'm sorry, but how much research have you done on these breeds to not notice how completely different they are? That is the main reason pedigrees do end up in rescue, because people don't realise the grooming/exercise requirements of certain breeds. If you genuinely want pedigrees I'd go to a pedigree rescue (sadly some take in more than an average rescue) who might not charge as much but will make sure it is suitable for you and be health and behaviour checked
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

They're not the breeds stated and may not be even pedigree but also are they neutered, vaccinated, miicrochipped if yes then minus the cost of all that as its money you dont ave to pay out to get done and if you like the cats and can offer a good secure loving home buy them the owner wants to sell so maybe better you than someone else
mWttrs2
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by mWttrs2 »

They are similar to these breeds but not 100%