Direct Rehoming

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Mayeflower
New Cat Chatter

Direct Rehoming

Post by Mayeflower »

Is there any charities/non profit organisations who only rehome cats by direct rehoming and have no shelters?

Would this be a better option if you didn't want your cat to go to a rescue but want to make sure the cat goes to a safe new home (home checked carried out by the organisation etc) rather than put on places like Gumtree etc?

Would it help promote responsible rehoming e.g help with neutering, vaccines etc

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Direct Rehoming

Post by Mollycat »

Depends why you're asking. Are you looking to set up something like this and doing some research? Are you looking for a new home for your own cat? What's the deal?

My boy who we lost last year came from Gumtree and he was a retired stud. My girl came from a local rescue organisation but never went into their care but they acted more like a dating agency and it was up to the owner to decide if I was suitable for her cat, hence there was no adoption fee. I believe they don't have premises just foster carers but I'm not sure.
LIT
New Cat Chatter

Re: Direct Rehoming

Post by LIT »

I don't know if this is applicable, but we just rehomed a stray who was living in our flood drains. While he ended up going to a friend of a relative, I did contact the local Siamese rescue group (he was part siamese, we think). They offered to post everything on their website and FB page - and forward us the applications to vet the families and make a choice. They also offered to assist with transport, if needed. Luckily, we were able to arrange all that ourselves, but it was nice to have the other option.