New cat pooing in the house!!

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Professor Plum
New Cat Chatter

New cat pooing in the house!!

Post by Professor Plum »

We rescued a two year old cat from a shelter four eeeks ago. They said he was very very timid and had been bullied by other cats in his previous home, hence the owner had given him up. He was an unneutered Tom who’s since been neutered.

As per their advice, he’s been living in the spare room for a month, with lots of visits and dreamies to accustom him to us. For two whole weeks he didn’t even come out from under the bed. Then he emerged and has been very friendly and loving, but obviously still timid and jumpy. He’s been using the litter trays perfectly in the spare room.

It’s all going well and he’s growing in confidence, but when we let him out and he ventures downstairs, or into our bedroom, he poos on the floor! He’s done it four times now.

I’m perplexed- he obviously understands what a litter tray is for. He uses them without any problems in the spare room. But he comes downstairs and boom... poo in the front room.

We’ve been trying to make him feel more comfortable downstairs by giving him chicken there... he’s getting so much braver and is lovely.

But I can’t be doing with all the pooing and he can’t live in the spare room forever. I’ve put a little tray in the conservatory (he’s quite happy going in there) but I really don’t want him to become used to pooing in the front room if I put a litter tray there... please help me!

He’s not our first cat but I’ve never had this problem before! My partner has suggested that maybe this was why he ended up at the cat home. How can I make him happy enough to poo in the right places?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: New cat pooing in the house!!

Post by fjm »

I wonder if he is middening - scent marking his new territory? I would try to increase his scent in a room before giving him access - spread some of his bedding from the spare room around, used scratching posts, boxes he has scent marked by rubbing his face against them, anything that might carry his scent. Middening can be a stress response so any signs of annoyance with him would be counter-productive. A tray upstairs and one downstairs, minimum stress, and restricted access until he feels more secure may all help. If he has a favourite spot covering it with a puppy pad or incontinence mat may help your own stress, and avoid long lasting smells that might encourage him to repeat the behaviour - clean very thoroughly with an enzyme cleaner for the same reason.
Professor Plum
New Cat Chatter

Post by Professor Plum »

Thank you much for your advice... we’ve moved one of his blankets into the front room so hopefully he’ll feel more secure when he’s in there.

Thanks!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Agreed it sounds like marking could be at least part of it. To be honest for a cat who spent the first two weeks under the bed it sounds like very rapid progress to be already coming all the way downstairs another two weeks later. But I would definitely put a second tray somewhere downstairs, it doesn't have to be somewhere obvious, but also when you first put it there put used litter in it rather than brand new so that he knows it's his. Another trick I use is catnip spray, not for a reaction but to indicate "this is yours" to a shy cat.

Will he eventually be allowed outside or is he an indoor kitty? If he will be forever indoor then a second litter tray is important, or if he will eventually be allowed out then a tray near the door will make it easier. But for now he might simply be scaring himself by venturing so far from his safe room, and taking it a little bit slower might help him settle.

Even if it is why he was given up, you can still help him through with lots of kindness and patience. Cats are very clean and soiling isn't something they do unless there is some physical or psychological distress.
Professor Plum
New Cat Chatter

Post by Professor Plum »

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. There is now another litter tray downstairs! And his hairy blanket on the sofa so it smells familiar...

The cat home people said he might never want to go outside. Who knows what he’ll want to do in the future!
Professor Plum
New Cat Chatter

Post by Professor Plum »

Update....

Thanks for all your help!

We followed your advice and five weeks later he seems much more confident. He’s stopped pooing in inconvenient places and now happily goes to his whichever litter tray he’s chosen!

He’s strolling around quite confidently now... practically a normal cat! He’s even settling on the sofa with us in the evenings, which is lovely.

Anyway, thanks for all your help!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Oh that's great, glad to hear he is settling so well now. And thanks for the update, it's always good to know outcomes and especially positive ones, plus sometimes more tips and tricks come into the pool that way too.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I'm so glad to hear things are improving - sounds as if he is well on his way to being a happy, confident, companionable cat.
jjessj18
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by jjessj18 »

Agreed it sounds like marking could be at least part of it