Concerns around a shelter in Cleobury Mortimer

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Tanith20
New Cat Chatter

Concerns around a shelter in Cleobury Mortimer

Post by Tanith20 »

I would like to make users aware of concerns raised and taken seriously by RSPCA regarding Newbridge Cat Rescue and Rehoming Shelter in Cleobury Mortimer, Shropshire.
On Saturday 10th we visited to see the cats as we were interested in adopting again.
We met the owner and were shown several cats all very affectionate and desperate for scratches.
We were shown to a pen where there were several pets, including two kittens. My heart melted having met a little black and white kitten who was 12 weeks old. We were informed by the owner who told us repeatedly she had over a decade of working with cats that the kitten was a boy.
We were told that said kitten had not grown due to mum being very young and not knowing how to feed, hence a failure to thrive. We expressed an interested in the kitten and were offered the chance to take him there and then.
We were informed that there were no medical records for little one and that he had not been neutered at that point but had been wormed and flead the month before.
We stated we understood about getting little one medicated and neutered as soon as possible due to a second cat at home.
As you may have read some things in hindsight were a concern: no accurate medical records, no gap insurance to cover the gap of our existing cover, no chipping, no vet check up and no home visit. Just 45 minute visit and took that day.
The shelter has been in existence for 4 years and we just trusted the professional and as mentioned the owner spoke at length about her experience and trashing RSPCA and Cats Protection.
Got little one home and the issues started little man had a nervous bowel movement which was expected however it didn't stop. Foul smelling liquid faeces, anal leakage and having to wipe them down every 30 minutes to an hour. Monday, two days after adoption, taken to emergency vet without insurance as there was blood in the stool. At the same time little one was playing and had bundles of energy and very loving.
Advised by the vet that the kitten had a high worm burden and would need worming.
Vets on Tuesday, wormed. Started seeing worms in faeces in 12 hours and having to pull one or two out of kittens anus. Also informed that he was a she. Rechristened from Jack to Mia.
Still eating ok, playing and affectionate. Accidents on the carpet but we can manage that.
Approached the shelter about the issues and helping with the spiralling vets cost: told no, admitted that the medicstion they uses was not effective and that we should return kitten to them. In honesty I sent an empassioned, angry complaint email accusing her of neglect and calling her out on poor medication and practices including feeding the cats meat fried in butter.
Received accuststory and rude email in response. Accused us of making Mia poorly and the vet of giving something to make the kitten worse. Demanded the kitten back and threatened to come to the house. Refused to return Mia to her.
Thursday was the worse 24 hours of my life, Mias energy dropped off, no appetite, not playing. Genuinely thought she was going to die. Again to the vets. Advised that Mia had likely contracted Giardia from the shelter which is passed through water fowl. Administered Antibiotics, anti inflammatory and anti parasitic.
Newbridge have a flock of ducks wander around the site and duck called Roger whom is tame and likes cuddles. The ducks enter the cat pens and upturn and eat the cat food, defecate in the pens and the owner regularly picks up Roger and then doesn't wash her hands.
Again centre was approached and silence. Nothing.
RSPCA were informed and they have been out. Trading standards have been informed.
In short avoid at all costs. They are negligent and breaking the law and refuse to take responsibility for their actions.
Mia is doing brilliantly. Shiny coat, putting on weight and playing loads.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Concerns around a shelter in Cleobury Mortimer

Post by Kay »

what a sad situation - while most animal rescuers are basically well-meaning, they don't all have the expertise or willingness to learn how to manage a rescue properly

I am very glad to read that the end result for you and MIa has turned out so well despite all the expense and traumas - I shudder to think what her fate might have been in other less experienced hands
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Concerns around a shelter in Cleobury Mortimer

Post by Ruth B »

So glad to hear that Mia is doing well in the end.

As you have already realised, the warning signs were there, but when you have spotted a kitten and fallen in love with them, then it is easy for the heart to rule not the head, at least it meant Mia is now safe and well.

I'm not sure there is much more you can do, you have let the relevant people know, you can't force the RSPCA to do anything, all you can do is let people know what has happened.

I would suggest that if you have a copy of the email that said the vet may have done something to harm Mia, you let them have a copy of it, include the one you sent, you may have been emotional in what you said, but that was no excuse for the rescue to say anything about the vet without first contacting them to find out what treatment had been given. They need to know in case the people at the rescue start any rumours, they need to know what started it, and they need the full story in case they have to fight back.