To adopt or not to adopt street cat

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
goldilocks3bears
Frequent Cat Chatter

To adopt or not to adopt street cat

Post by goldilocks3bears »

Hi,

Need some advice please. My family and I are confused on what the right thing to do is for all cats involved.
We have 2 cats living at home. One is a gentle 13 years old Persian cat and the other cat we found about 5 years ago when she was tiny and in the middle of a busy road. We took her in and she is the best but not gentle like our Persian cat

About 3 months ago my sister started feeding street cats near this one building and there was a very friendly cat there. The residents there kept on telling my sister that they want that cat gone so she was worried about the cat and finally took her to her backyard where she feeds other cats. My sister says that the cat is very feisty and the cat that was ruling the yard now is scared to come in coz of that cat.
Last night my sister took the cat to the vet and they had to anesthesia her. She is fine but coz we didn't want her out in the streets while drowsy I took her home and she is with me in my room as she can't go out coz of the other cats.
Anyways, I really want to keep her here. However, since she is used to the street and is very dominant over other cats we aren't sure if we should keep her or she should go back to my sister's yard. Also, if we keep her here how will our cats react? Will they eventually get along and be fine? Is it mean to keep a cat that is used to the outside, inside?
Any advice please? All 3 cats are females.
Thanks.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: To adopt or not to adopt street cat

Post by Mollycat »

I'm hardly the expert and I don't want to put you off doing a great kindness. But girls can be more difficult to integrate than boys, and you would need to take a good long time in slow steps to do introductions properly to give them all a chance. And, there's no guarantee that this girl will take to indoor life either. The bigger question is, what happens if it doesn't work out?
jjuliajul11
Returning Cat Chatter

Re: To adopt or not to adopt street cat

Post by jjuliajul11 »

I think it will be difficult but possible