HELP ME MY NEW CAT HASN'T EATEN FOR DAYS!

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
testscering
New Cat Chatter

HELP ME MY NEW CAT HASN'T EATEN FOR DAYS!

Post by testscering »

Hi everyone,
I adopted a 5-year-old cat named Lily on 11/20 from an older lady because she became allergic but now I'm having some problems. I've had Lily for 4 full days and she has some new toys plus her own bowls, bed, stretching post from her old house. Lily went to the vet a day before I adopted her and everything was okay

11/20 at 5pm I got her and that evening she didn't come out of her carrier but when I was asleep she made her way under my bed.
11/21 & 11/22 she spent her days under my bed in the corner and didn't come out.
11/23 she came out under my bed, peed in the litter box, walked out of my room, went down the hall, and under the bed in my spare bedroom.
11/24 she came out under the bed, peed in the litter box, and now on top of the desk.
11/25 I'm writing this post, and she hasn't moved from the desk.
RECAP: Lily has been with me for 4 full days and hasn't eaten at all and I'm starting to worry!

Eating problem: To make the rehoming process easier I'm using the same food and bowls that Lily's past owner had been using but it's now helping her. I've seen articles saying "try using wet food to get your cat to eat" but Lily's past owner told me specifically that Lily doesn't like wet food and won't eat for days if I tried. I also placed some dry treats near her and in her bowl but she hasn't touched those too. Thankfully she has used the litter box to pee so I think she has drunk some water, but not a lot because there isn't a big difference with the water line on the bowl. All the articles I've read are telling me "it's normal for cats to not eat when they are adopted but if the cat hasn't eaten in a few days go to the vet" but what's a few days? should I be worried?

Also, I've put my hand near her and she has sniffed it a few times but one time she hissed at me so I've stopped doing that.

I would love to hear ya'll inputs and past stores if you ran into the same problem as me!!! <3
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: HELP ME MY NEW CAT HASN'T EATEN FOR DAYS!

Post by fjm »

I would try some cooked plain chicken, tuna, and perhaps that wonder of wonders, Lik-e-Lix. A very little on separate flat saucers, close to her safe place but as far as possible from her tray. Plus, of course, leaving some of her usual food down. If you are certain she has not eaten I would phone the vet for advice - as she has been seen so recently they may be willing to prescribe or suggest something without seeing her. Cats can suffer fatty liver disease if they go for too long without eating, so it is important to get her started. If she is sitting on the desk with you she seems to be gaining in confidence, so may be ready to eat tonight.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

if it wasn't for the not eating, you'd have to say she is doing pretty well

as well as the foods suggested, you might try cat soups - they are not a complete meal, but they do have bits of meat or fish in them, and might be a halfway house between drinking water and eating proper food - I wouldn't worry too much about what the previous owner said about her preferences, as you don't know what foods were tried and rejected, nor how long ago they were tried
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

It is normal for an uprooted cat to feel unsettled for a few days and not want to eat but if it goes on too long the risk as fjm says is hepatic lipidosis, which can be very serious.

The amount cats drink normally is very small so you're unlikely to see much change in water level between washing the bowl and changing the water. If you did I'd then be concerned about drinking too much!

Food-wise I'd leave her normal dry food out and don't make a fuss about it, she will pick up your anxiety around it and it won't help. You can weigh it to check how much has been eaten while you're not looking for a while and write it down, if you do need vet advice this will help them to decide if she needs to be seen or not. Eg she's eaten 5g on day one and 10g on day two is more helpful than she ate a tiny bit one day then a little bit more but still a tiny amount the day after. Then, leave tempting foods and fluids out near the places she likes to hide or hang out - 1-2 feet away where she can smell them but ignore if she wants to.

I know the pressing issue is food but I wanted to pick up on her sniffing your hand and hissing. Don't give up. Sounds like she is curious about you but still very wary and there's a lot you can do here to help her relax about you. First, you can sit preferably on the floor if you can in the same room as her with your shoulder turned towards her ie not facing her directly, and read aloud or gently talk to her in a calm, assured, gentle voice. When you get up, tell her you're going to move now and get up turning away from her and with slow deliberate movements. By all means let her sniff your hand when you see she is a bit more relaxed, and then bring your hand away and gently praise her - it may be she thinks that having sniffed the hand it's then going to touch her and she's not ready. That's very common with cats!! And eventually she might sniff and rub her cheek or forehead against your hand, when she does, let her do it at first without trying to stroke her, so that she knows you will always be respectful. Don't ever tell her off for hissing when she is doing it out of fear, this kind of confrontation can quickly lead to big problems. Basically when she hisses she's telling you to P* off, if you do without making a drama out of it she will calm down and gradually learn that she can ask you politely by moving her head or turning away, without needing to swear at you.
testscering
New Cat Chatter

Post by testscering »

UPDATE: I went to check on her last night 11/25 and did see a small difference in her food bowl but I wasn't 100% sure so I relevel her food before going to bed. I check on her this morning 11/26 and saw a difference in the food level in Lily's bowl so yayyyy she eating!!!

NEW LITTER PROBLEM: Lily has used the litter but today when I went to check on her I saw that there was poop on the floor, but pee clumps in the litter box. (I'm using the same brand of litter as her past owner) Should I be worried? or is this a one-time accident?

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS REPLIED!! I'M THANKFUL FOR YA'LL INPUTS THIS THANKSGIVING!!!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

because she hasn't been eaten she hasn't been poo-ing either, so may have been out of her comfort zone - but it is another sign she has been eating

I have read of cats who won't pee and poo in the same litter tray, though, so you may have to put a second tray down
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

That's excellent news about her eating. As Kay says, a second tray may help with the pooing, or it may just have been a one off. The most important thing is that she is beginning to feel safe and settled with you.
Felix19+
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Felix19+ »

just an additional thought - she may like cat nip - the dried leaves - some cats love it and it really relaxes them ! x