Cats not settling in new home

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Frocklady
New Cat Chatter

Cats not settling in new home

Post by Frocklady »

I moved house in October and brought my two cats with me, but they really are not settling. I’m beginning to think I will have to rehome them
We moved from a farmhouse - in the country but on a narrow lane with a reasonable amount of traffic, 3 sets of neighbours next door, all with dogs (my cats have no love of dogs). Although always timid with people, the cats were outdoor Farm cats, only allowed in the kitchen/family room.
We are now in a rented barn conversion - quarter mile up a private drive, garden and paddocks, no neighbours, but there is a public footpath alongside the barn which is not busy. My cats are still hiding under the sofa, 7 weeks after moving, and will NOT go outside. They are terrified.
I just can’t have them as house cats - the rental contract won’t allow it, plus they are starting to drive me nuts as they don’t know how to behave indoors! (I already have a carpet to replace where they have clawed it)
Any advice would be gratefully received - I have already put a call in to the local rehoming centre
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cats not settling in new home

Post by Mollycat »

What a difficult situation, I can't help feeling that if they are not settling with the people they know then moving them again is only going to traumatise them more. Is there any way they could go back to where you lived before, would people be prepared to feed them there?
Frocklady
New Cat Chatter

Post by Frocklady »

Yes we considered asking the buyers if they would take on the cats - but they have two enormous dogs, so leaving the cats there was a definite No-No!
jjessj18
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by jjessj18 »

Really difficult situation