Rehomed cat still nervous

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
AmandaB
New Cat Chatter

Rehomed cat still nervous

Post by AmandaB »

Hi everyone, I adopted a 5 year old male cat 4 weeks ago who lived with 5 other cats but sadly his owner died. We were told that he had not had a lot, if any, human contact which I was fine about as he looked so sad. I set up a bonding room and he seemed a lot calmer when we came in the room. Even managed to hand feed him some chicken. After 3 weeks we decided to open the door. He does look round the house when we’re asleep (dreamy trail) and occasionally has come downstairs when we’re up but doesn’t stay long. The last couple of days though he seems to be more nervous and is in his room more. We haven’t changed anything so was hoping someone would have some advice. Thank you
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Rehomed cat still nervous

Post by Mollycat »

To be honest I wouldn't be too concerned at this stage. I'm old fashioned and we never had bonding rooms we just let a new cat or kitten loose in the whole house, they would find their own favourite hiding place and we let them come out in their own time. They did initially keep returning to "base camp" very often and gradually increase their exploration expeditions, for a nervous cat usually under cover of darkness and humans being asleep.

Perhaps your lad isn't comfortable enough yet and just ventured out to check for "danger" and maybe having the door to his room closed again for a while or left just a crack open might help him?
AmandaB
New Cat Chatter

Post by AmandaB »

Thank you for your reply, I think you’re right that he’s still a bit scared so will take time
starlitskie
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by starlitskie »

My advice would be that while its important for a cat to hide to feel safe sometimes it pays to push them out of their comfort zone over time. I have to do this at work because while a shy or unsocialized cat needs to feel safe and secure I also need to try and get that cat to be adoptable. An episode I saw of Jackson galaxy described it as making the cat large instead of small. Block off all the hidey spots and instead have high ledges on the walls etc... shelves that lead on to a ledge or bookcase etc...make a walkway...start trying to get the cat to look at the world from above.
I have two wild cats... one is completely transformed and sleeping on my bed right now. I got lucky with her. Get them playing with you if they will...try a feather wand.....mine only goes in my room which took 3 yrs and refuses to enter other parts of the house but she has outside all day.