Cat cold 🥶

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Smokeyblue
Frequent Cat Chatter

Cat cold 🥶

Post by Smokeyblue »

Hi all,

Hope you all had a lovely New year and Christmas break. Hope all pets are settling in well.

Our smokey is really part of the family now but unfortunately we think he may have a cold. He keeps sneezing and also sounds very congested when purring away... he was laying on his back this morning as I rubbed his belly and you could tell he struggled to purrr/breath and had to sit up. Is there anything we can do, without frienghting him too much?!

He does have a vets appointment but not till 25th.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat cold 🥶

Post by Mollycat »

I would give the vets a ring for advice. Cats don't have such a thing as a harmless common cold virus like we do. Congestion and sneezing ought to be discussed with the professionals. My old Ragdoll used to cough and had runny eyes, which always worried me, but after years of vets shrugging their shoulders and saying his respiratory tract was clear and all they could offer was x-rays, my current vet said it was very likely a latent herpes virus infection that flared up any time he had a bacterial infection on top. But only a vet can say if it's something or nothing.