Cat collars (yes or no)

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Smokeyblue
Frequent Cat Chatter

Cat collars (yes or no)

Post by Smokeyblue »

:idea: Interested in everyone's opinions on cat collars... does your cat have one and if so what type?

Smokeyblue
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat collars (yes or no)

Post by fjm »

They used to - quick release ones for safety, of course. But they lost so many that I rather gave up, especially once they got too old to catch as many birds - it was mostly to placate the neighbours that I belled the cats.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Last time I had a kitten, she had one, for lots of reasons - microchips hadn't been invented, she needed strong flea control, she was more than happy to wear one, she puffed out her chest to show off her "medallion" (which I kept after she died) and we had the area code on the phone number on it because of her love of exploring anyone's car that was left with a door open.

After that we inherited 3 second-hand cats, the third of which came with a collar which we never renewed after it was removed. I'm not sure I can explain my attitude with these 3, one was sort of dumped on us and the other two were walk-ins, and I never really felt we owned them, so there were no chips or collars. They were all registered with a vet and treated as our pets, but I never felt I could claim ownership.

And then I ended up with two indoor cats, who don't have collars either. I would never put a collar on an indoor cat, I see a collar as a practical thing not a fashion accessory. Dog doesn't wear his indoors either.

Not sure what I would do with an in/out cat now, microchips mean collars shouldn't be needed but most people don't check they either feed and keep or if god forbid they find a deceased cat they just leave it there. A collar would help, until people start to think to get chips checked and owners keep details updated.

Some cats just aren't safe with a collar though, either lose them or get themselves trapped or tangled, and are a danger to themselves. A lot depends on the cat but you don't always know till something has happened.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I've not used a collar on a cat for years. The first two cat I had did wear collars, it was when microchips were just coming in. The collars weren't quick release, I'm not even sure quick release were around at the time, the normal ones had elastic section in them, but the ones I choose didn't have a pin in the buckle so any strain on the collar meant it just pulled through. I learnt to keep a range of collars and spare tags in for when they lost one, which happened regularly, but I would have rather replaced the collar than find that it hadn't stretched enough when it needed to.

After the first of that pair died, we got a Ragdoll from a rescue, I took one look and decided I could not put a collar on that ruff knowing it would likely give him the bare collar that the other two had had. I asked the vet about microchips and have never used a collar on a cat since the other of the original pair died, between 15 and 20 years ago.

Mine are all indoor/outdoor cats who come and go as they please. I rely on the chip should anything happen. Compared to when I first got Blue the Ragdoll chipped, chips are common now and it is a lot more common for cats to be scanned, the biggest issue is the people who instantly believe a cat is a stray and decide to take them in, without getting them checked, but I do wonder how much of a difference a collar would make in those circumstances, if people decide they fancy a part time cat, they will give it a fuss and possibly feed it and justify it by telling themselves that if it wanted to be at home it could be.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I tried a collar with Lucy, I gave up on the third time of her taking it off, she had tucked it down the arm of the settee, took me ages to find it (and I'd only gone upstairs for 10 mins!), to be fair, she is so spooky of things that the chances of her going close enough to anyone for someone to steal her or her get lost is remote, she doesn't even go near the neighbours. My neighbours indoor/outdoor cat does wear collar and bell after suddenly becoming a hunter when he turned 8, sadly it doesn't always work.
Felix19+
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Felix19+ »

All my cats have had collars - flea type, reflective, with elastic section (I always had them quite loose) and medallion with address and phone numbers. I did try a fast release one once but it kept coming off. The one cat that got lost didn't have a collar at the time and after that I put one on. I didn't have any problems with collars but I don't think vets are keen on flea collars ?