Cat Jealousy

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
starlitskie
Returning Cat Chatter

Cat Jealousy

Post by starlitskie »

I'd love some advice about my cat Max. Him and Storm used to both live outside simply because Storm had been wild and was released here and Max when let outside would sleep in her outdoor bed and didn't want to be in. I can't really remember him ever wanting to be inside. He was an 11 yr old stray.

Storm now sleeps on my bed every night after 3 yrs of them both living outside. She only uses one room in the house and refuses to go in the rest. Ive tried over and over with Max. To bring him inside I have to grab him and if he realizes what I am doing he runs away. He often cries wanting out if let in. He will sleep on my bed sometimes If I try but last time I tried he would lay there and then just prod storm calmly every now and then to hurt her enough that she'd get off the bed. If he's with me outside and she comes over he can at times chase her just enough that she moves away.

I tried getting him to sleep in my sons room who doesnt have his own cat but he cried for so long I had to let him out so son could sleep.

I dont want Max to feel excluded yet he makes it difficult. I wondered if I started feeding him indoors would help and encourage him to want to me in the lounge area in the day. I feel kinda sorry for him but then he never will willingly come inside. I'm not sure why...I have dogs but they wont chase the cats...

Sorry long saga. I even feel bad that the new wild cat I'm taming is taking more attention away from max.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat Jealousy

Post by Mollycat »

Hi, I think you need to let go of your own needs and guilt and listen to Max and what he is trying to tell you - Max does not want to be indoors, sleep indoors, or be "grabbed" by you. It doesn't matter the reason, he doesn't want it, and even if it makes you sad the best thing you can do for him is to respect his choices. Max clearly doesn't feel "excluded" he is just fine and you are giving him everything he wants to make him happy.