My cat is missing - Eastwick (Found)

Post details of LOST CATS here (NB: PLEASE put your Location in the Subject line)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: My cat is missing - Eastwick (Found)

Post by bobbys girl » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:43 pm

Oh no, that's not the news any of us wanted to hear. Is there any chance that, despite the screw being loose, the bone is healing? I hope so.

Samis Mummy
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Samis Mummy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:55 pm

bobbys girl wrote:Oh no, that's not the news any of us wanted to hear. Is there any chance that, despite the screw being loose, the bone is healing? I hope so.
Nor did I..it depends on what the surgeon sees on the X-ray...if it is healing he might tighten it for now, but it's unclear...and I have given my permission for the surgeon to do what he thinks is best.

We wil know more Thursday

Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Lilith » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:09 pm

Oh no. How much more worry can you take? All paws, tails, everything crossed here.

I don't know if this is a case of tmi, but a short while back I was thinking of Sami and remembered a cat I had who had a fractured femur (rta) back in the mid-60s. Unlike Sami she was found straight away and the bone pinned, but when the vet showed me the x-ray, it was just like beads threaded on a string; the femur was in fragments. She had to be confined, of course, and a further op scheduled for the removal of the pin. She'd got to the stage of walking on the leg - and one morning I saw something glittering in the fur on her hip. The pin had worked its way out. Straight back to the vet, who took hold of the end of the pin - and pulled it smoothly out! 'Saves her having to have another op,' he said cheerfully. The cat never said a word; lay there and let him do it. And the leg was fine.

Will be thinking of you and Sami - do wish you hadn't to wait until Thursday, that's hellish. And hoping the news is good. Big hugs and lots of love x

Samis Mummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Samis Mummy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:16 am

Lilith wrote:Oh no. How much more worry can you take? All paws, tails, everything crossed here.

I don't know if this is a case of tmi, but a short while back I was thinking of Sami and remembered a cat I had who had a fractured femur (rta) back in the mid-60s. Unlike Sami she was found straight away and the bone pinned, but when the vet showed me the x-ray, it was just like beads threaded on a string; the femur was in fragments. She had to be confined, of course, and a further op scheduled for the removal of the pin. She'd got to the stage of walking on the leg - and one morning I saw something glittering in the fur on her hip. The pin had worked its way out. Straight back to the vet, who took hold of the end of the pin - and pulled it smoothly out! 'Saves her having to have another op,' he said cheerfully. The cat never said a word; lay there and let him do it. And the leg was fine.

Will be thinking of you and Sami - do wish you hadn't to wait until Thursday, that's hellish. And hoping the news is good. Big hugs and lots of love x

That's interesting to hear.

Thank you,I am just praying the bone is healing a bit...and he can screw up the screw and leave it a bit longer...it wasn't the news I wanted to hear, but the surgeon is really good and has tried everything...we just have to see what Thursday brings...

I'll let you know

Thanks for the hugs and love
X

Samis Mummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Samis Mummy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:20 pm

Sami update.

Sami had to have his leg amputated today, the bit of bone had died completely...the surgeon couldn't of done anymore... Can't wait to get my boy home tomorrow...

He has to stay in overnight

Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:36 pm

Oh no ... so very sorry to hear after the brave fight he (and you) have put up all this time.

I was hoping against hope that the bone was healing and callousing and rejecting that screw (but of course I'm no vet!)

Been thinking about him all day - thanks for the update as you must be in shock.

Lots of love and all the best to you both x

Samis Mummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Samis Mummy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:28 pm

Lilith wrote:Oh no ... so very sorry to hear after the brave fight he (and you) have put up all this time.

I was hoping against hope that the bone was healing and callousing and rejecting that screw (but of course I'm no vet!)

Been thinking about him all day - thanks for the update as you must be in shock.

Lots of love and all the best to you both x
Thank you...he's ok the vet was pleased how it went...yes more shocked saying to colleagues it was going to happen,,it's no surprise but I'm shocked. Sami is doing well eating and running about.

We are collecting him tomorrow afternoon

bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:06 pm

I am so sorry it had to come to this. But take some comfort in the knowledge that cats can manage really well on three legs.

I had to tell Bobby off today, he was chasing Purdy around the outside of the house.She couldn't out-run him! :D Not only can be fun fast, he can climb too!

Wishing Sami a swift and full recovery. Fusses to the little lad. xx

Can predictive text!! Not only can HE RUN fast ... :evil:

alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:25 pm

Very sorry it came to this. Really hoped his leg could be saved. Best wishes to Sami and hope he gets well soon.

Samis Mummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Samis Mummy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:57 pm

bobbys girl wrote:I am so sorry it had to come to this. But take some comfort in the knowledge that cats can manage really well on three legs.

I had to tell Bobby off today, he was chasing Purdy around the outside of the house.She couldn't out-run him! :D Not only can be fun fast, he can climb too!

Wishing Sami a swift and full recovery. Fusses to the little lad. xx

Can predictive text!! Not only can HE RUN fast ... :evil:
It's not a surprise but a shock...thank you for replying and giving me reassurance that three legs will be ok..

Thanks so much xxx

I'll get him home tomorrow

Samis Mummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Samis Mummy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:58 pm

alanc wrote:Very sorry it came to this. Really hoped his leg could be saved. Best wishes to Sami and hope he gets well soon.

It's ok. It was an option but we tried everything. Our surgeon has been amazing. Just the bit of bone that stuck out was dead and was disolving around it. Thank you. I'll tell him tomorrow

bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:34 pm

Dear Sami, mummy told me you had a poorly leg like I did and that you had to have it taken away. I just wanted to tell you that it will feel funny for a while, but you will soon be zooming around again.

Here are some pictures of me right after the operation. Mummy thought it would be a good idea to make me wear a harness so I couldn't run off. But I didn't like it and told her so.
rsz_011.jpg
rsz_014.jpg
Can I go out mum?
rsz_030_-_copy.jpg
I'm not getting up 'til you take this off!
rsz_020.jpg
All better now
My remaining front leg is now so muscley mummy calls me Popeye. Hope you are feeling better soon

Love Bobby x

Samis Mummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Samis Mummy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:33 am

@bobbys girl and especially Bobby.

I'll read this to Sami...you're a clever cat Bobby to write that and upload photos :D

It's cheered me up...and the captions you wrote under the pictures, eg can I go out, and I'm not getting up til you take this off remind me of Sami and made me laugh...

That's so kind of you to write the little note. I'll let you know how Sami is once I get him home..

Jane and Sami Xxx

Samis Mummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Samis Mummy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:19 pm

Sami update...we are home and he's hopping all over the show...he's got a cone on still. But he's recovering well so far...it was such a shock to see. I cried in the vet, mum is so upset. She won't come and see him and cried when he went up to her.

But he's had a little food and is watching dad feed the birds X

Thank you all so much for your thought and messages. Back in ten days to have the stitches out.

bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:58 pm

Glad he's back home. It is a bit of a shock but wait 'til his fur grows back and his muscle tone builds up. Believe me, he won't look half so bad. :D

Lots of fusses to the little lad.

Samis Mummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Samis Mummy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:18 pm

bobbys girl wrote:Glad he's back home. It is a bit of a shock but wait 'til his fur grows back and his muscle tone builds up. Believe me, he won't look half so bad. :D

Lots of fusses to the little lad.
Thank you. I'm glad he's home. I'll look forward forward to it not looking so bad...he's been so brave

Thank you. I'll pass that on X

Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:26 pm

Aww, so glad he's home. Yes, it's quite amazing how they just take it for granted and adapt. A human would be in shock but a cat carries on regardless. I once read about a cat who broke a front leg and had to have a pot on it. He was rather a lad and it didn't stop him fighting. Oh no. He used the pot to bash his opponents over the head :o :lol:

Big BIG fusses to Sami - brave lad! x

Samis Mummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Samis Mummy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:21 am

Lilith wrote:Aww, so glad he's home. Yes, it's quite amazing how they just take it for granted and adapt. A human would be in shock but a cat carries on regardless. I once read about a cat who broke a front leg and had to have a pot on it. He was rather a lad and it didn't stop him fighting. Oh no. He used the pot to bash his opponents over the head :o :lol:

Big BIG fusses to Sami - brave lad! x
Thank you for the message. Isn't it? He's just getting on with it. I'm getting used to it but mum won't see him.

I'll pass on the fuss. He's on my lap now xx

He's so brave. I can't believe he's going to be ok in the end :)

bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:38 am

Lilith wrote:Aww, so glad he's home. Yes, it's quite amazing how they just take it for granted and adapt. A human would be in shock but a cat carries on regardless. I once read about a cat who broke a front leg and had to have a pot on it. He was rather a lad and it didn't stop him fighting. Oh no. He used the pot to bash his opponents over the head
:lol: Sounds about right! :lol:

Samis Mummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Samis Mummy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:29 pm

Sami is doing ok this morning...he's walking better, had his breakfast and mum has seen the stitches now but she won't stroke him until he's on his other side lol

He's sunbathing in the conservatory :mrgreen:

Samis Mummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Samis Mummy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:01 pm

Evening everyone...

Can I please ask some advice...

As you know Sami has lost the leg, I wanted to maybe keep the ashes and top it up with Sami in the future...so he will be complete in the afterlife.

Am I just being silly and selfish thinking of it like this? Because Sami won't be upset a tiny bit of him is missing now, and after, he is just getting on with three legs...it's me thinking something is missing, and could be put back together at some point.

Dad got the vet to cancel my request, but I don't know if it's worth emailing the company and asking if I can think a bit more about it. Or if I need to just get over that he's lost a bit of leg, and focus on that he is home and doing ok, and will live the majority of his life with three legs.

I don't know what to do now, mum and dad think I'm being silly..

X

Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:07 pm

Hi there, yes, we all do have these sort of feelings. I've kept fallen-out teeth, the pin I mentioned that worked out of a cat's broken leg, even a claw from a polydactyl cat that grew in a circle like a horn button ... somehow you feel you have to hang on to this sort of thing.

However, on a practical level (and I hope this doesn't sound brutal) Sami's leg is highly likely to have been incinerated by now, for sanitary reasons, and I wouldn't think there's any hope of getting the ashes back.

I don't think you're being silly; you're grieving for that bit of Sami that he's lost; this is a normal emotional reaction, especially after all you and he have been through.

I'm not trying to force my religious beliefs on you, but I'm Pagan, and we believe in the astral body - which roughly speaking means that a personage, cat, human, whoever, on the astral plane and after death, is their self, whole, no matter what happened to their physical body. For instance, someone mortally ill, once they leave their physical body, is rejuvenated, young and vigorous again.

I know you'd like to keep every bit of the physical Sami together, but perhaps it might help to think of him, once he reaches his point of departure from his physical self (which I hope is a long time off) as being another powerful, indestructible and entire person.

Oh dear, I hope I'm making sense here, but I feel Sami is Sami and will never be otherwise, but I do understand how you're feeling; I think a lot of us on here can empathise with this too. Big hugs - and to the lad too, love from Lil x

bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:57 pm

Oh I do understand. Bob's little leg was perfect - just no feeling in it. I confess I kissed it before he went to the vets. It was like a mini bereavement.

As for the afterlife, Lilith, we may have different faiths but I agree with you, we MUST be whole - or what's the point? To go through eternity missing a leg or, worse still, overweight, grey and arthritic?. :roll: :D :lol:

Samis Mummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Samis Mummy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:41 am

Lilith wrote:Hi there, yes, we all do have these sort of feelings. I've kept fallen-out teeth, the pin I mentioned that worked out of a cat's broken leg, even a claw from a polydactyl cat that grew in a circle like a horn button ... somehow you feel you have to hang on to this sort of thing.

However, on a practical level (and I hope this doesn't sound brutal) Sami's leg is highly likely to have been incinerated by now, for sanitary reasons, and I wouldn't think there's any hope of getting the ashes back.

You don't sound harsh just realistic thanks. I don't know how quickly that they do that

I don't think you're being silly; you're grieving for that bit of Sami that he's lost; this is a normal emotional reaction, especially after all you and he have been through.

Thank you for not calling me mad

I'm not trying to force my religious beliefs on you, but I'm Pagan, and we believe in the astral body - which roughly speaking means that a personage, cat, human, whoever, on the astral plane and after death, is their self, whole, no matter what happened to their physical body. For instance, someone mortally ill, once they leave their physical body, is rejuvenated, young and vigorous again.

I know you'd like to keep every bit of the physical Sami together, but perhaps it might help to think of him, once he reaches his point of departure from his physical self (which I hope is a long time off) as being another powerful, indestructible and entire person.

ThAts good advice

Oh dear, I hope I'm making sense here, but I feel Sami is Sami and will never be otherwise, but I do understand how you're feeling; I think a lot of us on here can empathise with this too. Big hugs - and to the lad too, love from Lil x

You are it's helping. I've emailed asking if I can have a couple of days to think and if it's been dons than I understand but it was dad's choice not mine

I'll pass the hugs on to Sami. Thanks for that xx

Samis Mummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Samis Mummy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:43 am

bobbys girl wrote:Oh I do understand. Bob's little leg was perfect - just no feeling in it. I confess I kissed it before he went to the vets. It was like a mini bereavement.

As for the afterlife, Lilith, we may have different faiths but I agree with you, we MUST be whole - or what's the point? To go through eternity missing a leg or, worse still, overweight, grey and arthritic?. :roll: :D :lol:
I see. I did kiss his leg because I knew what was going to happen. I've asked if I can have a while to think. But I expect I'll just have to forget about it and focus on Sami being a healthy three legged cat x

Thanks for your reply

Samis Mummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Samis Mummy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:57 am

The vets did give me the plates and screws so I do have something from the leg at least

Samis Mummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Samis Mummy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:38 pm

@bobbys girl... do you have bobby on a special diet on feeding regime? The vet say he needs to keep at about 4,5 kg so not too much weight for his three legs

We are trying to get him used in to breakfast and tea at 7 so he will come back for food?

bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:00 pm

Samis Mummy wrote:@bobbys girl... do you have bobby on a special diet on feeding regime? The vet say he needs to keep at about 4,5 kg so not too much weight for his three legs

We are trying to get him used in to breakfast and tea at 7 so he will come back for food?
Yes, that's very wise and probably more important for an amputee like Bob - any extra weight on that one front leg is punishing when he jumps down. Not quite such a problem for cats like Sami, but still worth noting.

Having said that, he just gets the same food as the others. I have to watch Him in the winter as he lies around all day in bad weather. But in fine weather he zooms around so much he burns it all off!

You'll just have to 'play it by ear' for a while. :)

Samis Mummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Samis Mummy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:28 pm

Yes, that's very wise and probably more important for an amputee like Bob - any extra weight on that one front leg is punishing when he jumps down. Not quite such a problem for cats like Sami, but still worth noting.

Having said that, he just gets the same food as the others. I have to watch Him in the winter as he lies around all day in bad weather. But in fine weather he zooms around so much he burns it all off!

You'll just have to 'play it by ear' for a while. :)[/quote]

Ok thanks...I just wondered what you do, as it was mentioned to us...at the moment he's having half a pack in the morning, and a packet in the evening,,,with some buscuits,,,

Sami doesn't like bad weather either, I guess he'll be zooming about when he's used to the situation more,,.

Thanks. I'll just see what he wants to eat, at each meal time

bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:15 pm

I am constantly amazed at just what Bob can do. You should see how he washes his face and how he opens doors and how he can climb a tree .... Well the mind boggles! :shock:

Once Sami's coat grows back and he gets his balance, there will be no looking back. :D