How do I retrieve my cat who has returned to our previous home?

Post details of LOST CATS here (NB: PLEASE put your Location in the Subject line)
AdrianPaul
Returning Cat Chatter

How do I retrieve my cat who has returned to our previous home?

Post by AdrianPaul »

How do I retrieve my cat who has returned to our previous home? It's about two miles away. They went back there after seven weeks after moving to our new home...
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: How do I retrieve my cat who has returned to our previous home?

Post by fjm »

Is there any reason why you can't simply go and fetch the cat? Are the new owners of the house claiming him/her?
AdrianPaul
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by AdrianPaul »

fjm wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:20 pm Is there any reason why you can't simply go and fetch the cat? Are the new owners of the house claiming him/her?
How? They are a nervous cat and run away from people, even myself, in this scenario, and they don't like being picked up or carried.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I see. I would ask around vets, rescues, etc for a trap - it does mean that it needs checking frequently, but is probably the safest way. Meanwhile if you know exactly where the cat is perhaps a former neighbour could be persuaded to feed it in a suitable spot, where you could then put the trap when you have found one.
AdrianPaul
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by AdrianPaul »

fjm wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:17 pm I see. I would ask around vets, rescues, etc for a trap - it does mean that it needs checking frequently, but is probably the safest way. Meanwhile if you know exactly where the cat is perhaps a former neighbour could be persuaded to feed it in a suitable spot, where you could then put the trap when you have found one.
Aside from it being very slow to purchase a cat rap, the big problem is accidentally trapping someone else's cat; I've tried a large metal dog crate with food in it, but it needs manually closing and he is too nervous when people are around when he is outside.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

You can usually borrow a trap, so no need to buy, but yes, other cats can get caught. That is why the trap needs checking frequently to release them if necessary. I baited one with particularly good food and caught the same little tortie at least four times. But as the trap was checked every half hour or so there was no time for her to get stressed, and by the third time she purred to see me, and waited to see if I had any more of the good stuff with me...
AdrianPaul
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by AdrianPaul »

fjm wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:50 pm You can usually borrow a trap, so no need to buy, but yes, other cats can get caught. That is why the trap needs checking frequently to release them if necessary. I baited one with particularly good food and caught the same little tortie at least four times. But as the trap was checked every half hour or so there was no time for her to get stressed, and by the third time she purred to see me, and waited to see if I had any more of the good stuff with me...
Aside from neighbours complaining, do you need to sit or stand some way from the trap? I can't really go 4 miles to-and-fro every hour or two...

Also, with the Coronavirus, I can't borrow a trap off the RSPCA or Cats Protection.
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by exlibris »

Would the new owners consider putting out food (and being compensated) for the duration of this lockdown, just to ensure he is fed? However, there is a danger of him getting comfortable if you do that though....
AdrianPaul
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by AdrianPaul »

exlibris wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:21 pm Would the new owners consider putting out food (and being compensated) for the duration of this lockdown, just to ensure he is fed? However, there is a danger of him getting comfortable if you do that though....
New owners of the house? Feeding him is fine. I can do that. However, feeding him over there is not giving him enough incentive to return home here, so I've asked people not to feed him to see if he returns home here for food. I've put water out for now.