This has absolutely nothing to do with cats.......

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

This has absolutely nothing to do with cats.......

Post by Lyn from Australia »

I have a recollection of the occasional comment about all the creepy crawlies, poisonous and deadly creatures in Australia. I received this yesterday, and while viewed all at once it seems horrific, I suppose we Aussies do have to own up to these. I must add, there are a few I've never heard of - the giant worms for instance, the deadly centipedes and a couple of others. I hope this link works - http://www.viralnova.com/australia-is-d ... ign=aweber" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: This has absolutely nothing to do with cats.......

Post by MarkB »

Blimey - and I have been complaining about my problems with earwigs and moths :)

I spent this morning cleaning window frames etc so I can spray Dethlac everywhere (that cats don't have access too!!! ) :)
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Hi Lyn. I have to admit that I won't be checking if the link works or not!!! I am the world biggest wimp when it comes to anything with more or the same amount of legs as Dora & I combined....!! X
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!

I've never heard of earwigs, but we have them too apparently.

Shelly, lots of the pics are of creatures with no legs? Does that change your mind? :roll:
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

I just googled Earwigs and realise how lucky we are that ours are only 1/2" long - I saw some photos of earwigs that are about a foot long!!!! :o
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Gruesome!! How does anyone pluck up the courage to go out in Aus? (Probably to get away from the enormous spiders indoors?) :lol:
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

It was always my dream to go to Australia one day. I'm having second thoughts now!!
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Willowgill »

Thank heavens my son emigrated to NZ - they don't have anything like that there although their cats love to bring lizards in :lol:
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!

In my own experience contact with scary things is sporadic. When I lived in the city the worst I ever came across were huntsmen spiders (non-poisonous but big and hairy) and cockroaches, although in the bushy suburbs I believe snakes and funnel web spiders are quite common. Here in a rural area there are snakes periodically. Baby poisonous and non-poisonous snakes can get into my enclosed courtyard and the cats don't avoid the poisonous ones, as one of the dead ones was definitely a red bellied black snake :o . I've had to capture a few including aggravated poisonous ones - aggravated by the cats I must add! (only babies thank god, the biggies can't get in through the wire I suspect - I HOPE). The cats will circle the snake and annoy it, so there I am jumping up and down screaming like a maniac at the cats to GET AWAY while I find something to capture it in. This is not easy for me - I used to have snake and spider nightmares as a kid which I've never forgotten. :roll:

I've seen BIG snakes and lizards on the beach here, would your believe? Spiders haven't intruded so far, but give them time I suppose.

A beautiful Ragdoll belonging to a friend of my sister was found dead, covered in slime. The vet said she'd been suffocated then regurgitated by a python, which are very common up in Queensland. :(

My sister often gets snakes and sometimes they'll hide in anything left on the veranda, and depending on the size she either locks up and hopes they disappear, or she'll catch them with her home-made snake hook and put them in a big bag and dump them in the nearby forestry.

She has two cats who have a lot of outdoor time - they are either very smart or very lucky!!!

It's just seeing these things all in one go that makes me realise just how many "things" we have!!

PS: I forgot about the big frogs that get into the house, yuk.