My baby has FIP

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
HeatherG3000
Experienced Cat Chatter

My baby has FIP

Post by HeatherG3000 »

Hi everyone

This is my first post and it is breaking my heart. My baby boy (who was just 1 last month!) was sadly diagnosed with FIP on Monday. He has "wet" FIP which is causing a fluid build up in his little tummy. To say we are all devastated would be an understatement. I just can't believe this has happened to him.

Henry Tudor (little tyrant that he is!) has always been a happy little kitten and has given us a friendly face to see firstthing every morning and every night. I have spent the past 2 days hoping and prayaing for a treatment or cure but every website I look at just confirms my worst fears. That this is going to be aggressive. Last night he was so lethargic. He moped about, hid behind the couch or under the footstool and just could not seem to get comfortable (given his swollen belly :( ). This morning he was up and about and wolfed down some frech chicken. My biggest worry is that he begins to suffer. I couldn't live with myself if he really was beginning to feel discomfot or pain. I have read today online that most people would rather euthanise an hour too early rather than an hour too late but how will I know?

Has anyone else experienced this horrendous death sentence? If so, please share your story with me, no matter how dire the prognosis was. I know this isn't good and of course the vet cannot put a time on Henry's little life, but I am scheduled to go a work trip next week for 3 days and nights and I cannot bear the thought of him passing while I am away.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: My baby has FIP

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh Heather, I am so very sorry. I have no experience to share, but I am sending hugs your way and so much love for your little one. Cherish every moment you have together. I'm sure someone will be along soon with some practical advice. I am aching for you now. XX
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I lost a 5 month old to this horrible disease - I'm afraid it is a death sentence

my Boycie ended up with multiple organ failure, because my vet was slow to diagnose FIP - in fact he was sent on a long journey to the Bristol Veterinary Hospital before being diagnosed, and although they gave him a blood transfusion to keep him alive long enough to do all the necessary tests, he was euthanized a couple of days later

my heart goes out to you, but unless there is any reasonable doubt about the diagnosis, I have to say I think it would be easier on you and Henry to let him go before he gets much worse - when there is no hope arranging a good death is all, sadly, you can do
HeatherG3000
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by HeatherG3000 »

Kay - thanks for posting. If you are like me, I know how difficult you must have found it and will probably still be finding it! He's still a baby, I just cannot believe it is happening.

My biggest worry is leaving him on Sunday only to return on Wednesday and find my husband has had to euthanise. I want to be with him.

The vet suggested taking him to Glasgow university for further ultrasounds but I think if time is precious for my baby, there is no value in making the 40 minute journey and sedating and stressing him even more. Since he came home on Monday afternoon he has had fresh fish and fresh chicken and as many treats as I can give him.

I think I will see how he is when I get home from work today and have the chat withmy husband about how we proceed. It's just heartbreaking. I don't remember a time when I didn't dream of having a big ginger boy called Henry, we are all just devastated.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

you could try having a word with Glasgow to see how long they would take to do further tests - it might be possible for you to bring him home on the same day

FIP can only be diagnosed 100% post mortem, so you might want to give it a try - not with any hope but just to be as sure as you can be, for your own peace of mind
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by hgale »

I'm so sorry to hear about Henry Tudor. Unfortunately I also have no experience of FIP but please know that I am thinking of you all at this time and sending a nuzzle to your little baby.

Helen
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by KittyWitty »

I have no experience with FIP myself but I have read that cats can live with it and it doesn't have to be a death sentence. I know it is hard but as you said, Henry does seem to be improving.

Let me go find the article I read about it...(its around here somewhere...)

Here is a forum dedicated to owners of FIP cats: http://www.atfreeforum.com/fip/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.askthecatdoctor.com/feline-fip.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What is the best way to care for a cat that has FIP?
There is currently no cure for FIP; therefore, the primary concern needs to be making the cat comfortable and deciding when to quit. Cortisone can help reduce inflammation and encourage appetite. Good nutrition, hydration and non-stressful environments are also important, but in almost all cases they serve only to prolong the inevitable. Therefore, we will encourage some owners to go with symptomatic treatment, but only if the animals are not suffering. There have been reports that the feline interferon omega is effective in combating FIP. We actually tested it against FIP years ago and it did not work. Fortunately, a double blind, placebo controlled study was recently reported from Europe on the use of interferon omega in treating FIP. Cats receiving this very expensive treatment fared no differently than placebo treated cats. This will hopefully stop the use of this treatment in the US and other countries, although some people still believe more in anecdotes than scientific trials. Unfortunately, veterinary medicine is filled with anecdotal treatments.

How do you know when to euthanize a cat that has FIP?
This is a decision only you can make, and it is a difficult one. I would never suggest euthanizing a cat, even with FIP, as long as it looks and acts fairly normal. Miracles do happen, but they can’t happen unless they are provided time to happen. However, I also cannot argue with those owners that decide to end suffering at an earlier stage, given the grave prognosis.
I always tell owners to decide to put an animal down when it no longer takes pleasure in life. But cats can feign health to the last moment and you often regret in retrospect not making the decision earlier. I did the same thing with one of my cats that was dying of cancer. He actually was dead one morning, even though I still thought he had time to live and seemed reasonably content. There is also a myth that if a cat is still purring that it is still enjoying life. But research has shown that cats purr even when in extreme pain, it is another way that they mask illness.
that is from here: http://www.atfreeforum.com/fip/viewtopi ... mforum=fip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunatly I can't find the article I was sure I had read but I'll keep looking for it..
Last edited by KittyWitty on Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm so very, very sorry, you must be in bits. (((hugs)))

I have no experience of FIP, but I have been in a similar situation with a cat with cancer. Better too early than too late is definitely right, and bear in mind that cats are very, very good at hiding the fact that they are in pain. Like you, I was worried about knowing when it was the right time, but you know him best and I promise you that you WILL know. As the bad days start to outnumber the good days and you start to realise his quality of life and spirit are diminishing you'll be able to make that decision and do the kindest thing. It's the last, and most loving, thing that you can do for him. Until then just love him, spoil him rotten and keep a close eye.

It might be worth having a chat with your vet about going away next week - vets aren't clairvoyant, but he might be able to explain a little more about what to expect and help you reach a decision.

I wish I could post something more positive. xx
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

there is no cure for the wet form of FIP, KW

cats with the dry form can live for much longer, but the fluid in this poor boy suggests it is the wet form
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by KittyWitty »

Kay wrote:there is no cure for the wet form of FIP, KW

cats with the dry form can live for much longer, but the fluid in this poor boy suggests it is the wet form
:cry: so sad :cry:
HeatherG3000
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by HeatherG3000 »

Yes, unfortunately it is the wet form of FIP. His tummy looks like it has a balloon inside! I have read online sometimes they can have a few months left, but other research suggests on average as little as 9 days? He had the swelling for about a week before diagnosis so I am frantic with worry that he is in pain or is uncomfortable and I'm scared to leave the wee soul!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Oh Heather, I am so very sorry. I know very little about this horrible disease but I remember how sick I felt when my OH told me, over the 'phone, that 1 year old Bobby with his wonky front leg was FIV+. I never want to feel that way again.

I think the others are right, It doesn't sound like he has long. He is your baby and you know him best. You will know when the time is right.

When my sister was faced with a similar situation with her lovely dog, she took her on one last holiday and did all the things that they had enjoyed together. Then made arrangements for the vet to come to the house - less stress for for her dog. It was still very sad, but she does have lovely memories and knows that Suzy was happy right to the end.

Love your boy, spoil him rotten and know that we are all thinking of you.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Meandmymunki »

I'm so sorry for you both, I lost my Charlie last year to it and thru my rescue have dealt with one case, sadly both were put to sleep within days of diagnosis, fip is a terrible disease but very hard to diagnose, by the time there is enough symptoms to diagnose, they do normally only have days left.
The fluid builds up fast and sadly there is very little a vets can do at this late stage other than offer things to try and make them more comfortable. So sorry :(
HeatherG3000
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by HeatherG3000 »

The vet has given him interferon medication which at the moment is still giving him some appetite. I don't know if this is giving me false hope because he has eaten a little bit of chicken or a little bit of fish. My husband and I feel like we cannot watch him decline. Neither of us want him to get worse. It has been 2 weeks since we notice the swelling which, maybe psychologically, seems to be getting more and more each day.he hasn't been out through the night which he normally would do. I'm off to work now and will see how he is this evening. We are trying to take each day as it comes. It's horrible deciding if today is going to be the day he needs to cross the rainbow bridge because in some ways he still seems like our Henry, but he is so lethargic and his wee eyes are so sorry looking. Heartbreaking!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Thinking of you all xxx
mollers
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by mollers »

Hello there. So sorry to hear about your furbabe. My cat Milo was diagnosed with this a few years ago and was only about 2 years old. I knew it was time to have him put to sleep when he started urinating near his food bowl; knowing how clean cats are I knew he must have been distressed to have to do this and I had the vet come out and euthanise him at home. A horrible, horrible decision to have to take but someone said to me that if he could have done, Milo would have thanked me and I hope that would have been the case. Thinking of you.xx
elastu
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by elastu »

Heatbreaking, I am so sorry. Please remember the decision you have make will be the final act of kindness you can make for your little one, very hard but the right one in this case. Take care
HeatherG3000
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by HeatherG3000 »

I have been away with my work for the past 2 days and have regular updates from hubby on our baby. When. Arrived home today I could see in his face he is beginning to struggle. 9 days since diagnosis we had him back a vets. Luckily our little boy is still eating (and enjoying!!!) his food but is sleeping all day. He is so very swollen now. There isn't anything we can do for him anymore so decided to have one final night together in our big family bed. My hubby is off for some fish suppers, including one for Henry, and then tomorrow we will got to the vet together and put him into a long long sleep. It is heartbreaking, but I would rather him enjoy his last night as he is still able to. I don't want him to deteriorate so better to do this sooner rather than leave it too late.

It will be a loooong day tomorrow.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

I am so very sorry to hear your heartbreaking news.

You are making absolutely the right decision for your boy.

Hope you has a lovely evening with his loving family.

Be thinking of you tomorrow ((((hugs))))
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I'm so sorry, Heather

such a cruel disease, which targets the young

Henry doesn't know he is so very ill, and he doesn't know tonight is his last one with you, so he will go to sleep in innocence and peace
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Oh Heather, I am so very sorry to hear your news.

It doesn't make it any easier but you are doing the right thing by him. Kay is right, Henry doesn't know how ill he is. But he does know he's special and that you love him.

I hope you all have a good evening together and that he enjoys his fish.

I will be thinking of you all tomorrow

with much love

Sue
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Big, big, hugs and so many kisses to beautiful Henry. XXXX
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I'm so very sorry, but it sounds as though you are making the right decision, at the right time, for him.

I'll be thinking of you both, and Henry, tomorrow. It's tough, but a dignified and painless passing is the last loving gift that we can give them. ((((hugs)))) to you and gentle fusses to Henry.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

Thinking of you all today x
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Sending a big hug to you all today x
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

Thinking of you all so much Today Heather. Bless you and bless little Henry :( RIP little one. xxxxxx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

So, so sorry for you...but what a wonderful final act of kindness you are doing for your boy, I understand, as do most of us on here, how heartbreaking this will be for you, I was there this time last year...but i knew it was the only thing I could do to stop my boy becoming much worse and possibly dying in great pain, bless you, you are saving him from that end and letting him go the bridge quietly and peacefully....thinking of you today...xx
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

Henry's life has been far too short, but full of love and happiness. You're doing all you can and Henry knows this. He is so very lucky to have two loving humans to help him through this terrible illness and hold him as he falls asleep for the last time. This time will be very, very difficult for you, but it is the ultimate act of love. You are all in my thoughts.
HeatherG3000
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by HeatherG3000 »

Thank you all for your lovely lovely messages. It is a comfort to know he is no longer uncomfortable and I truly believe he wasn't in pain and I couldn't let him get to that stage. It was for the best that he sleeps today.

Our vet was wonderful and Henry was relaxed and he was away in a matter of seconds. We will have his ashes at home next week and I will buy a red rosé plant. His name was Henry Tudor, due to my love of all things Tudor era. I can't remember a time I didn't dream of having 7 cats, Henry Tudor and his 6 wives. Hubby only let me get my big boy but he was truly a tyrant and a real prince! I miss him terribly and the house already seems empty but I think the Tudor red rosé in his garden will always remind us he is here and made our first house a home.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

god speed to the Bridge, Henry

my Boycie died of FIP at 5 months, so you can boss him around up there to your heart's content