Teasel update

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Teasel update

Post by Crewella »

Teasel came to live in my spare room about 3 months ago. She'd come into rescue with kittens before Christmas, but was so timid that she never came out of her box at the back of her pen, so nobody ever saw her, and we thought it might help to have her in a home environment rather than a pen. Sorry for the long post, but a couple of people has said to 'keep us posted' after I first mentioned her ..... so here goes!

She's come a long way - she's still timid and easily spooked, and occasionally can suddely hiss or nip when being fussed, but she comes out to greet me for a fuss and for her dinner now, so we know she can do it. For some reason, she has suddenly got more confident this week. I got a call from the rescue and agreed to take a stray tom cat in my outdoor pen, and because they told me he was riddled with ticks and fleas I remembered that my lot were overdue for treatment so thought I'd better do them pronto. I wasn't looking forward to doing Teasel, she gets spooked if you try to grab her, and it tends to make her go back to hiding all the time for a couple of weeks. She sussed something was up as soon as I walked in, so I had to pull the couch out and reach down the back and pick her up but she was very good once I had her and just sat quietly while I applied the drops, gave her a fuss and then gently let her go.

I expected her to be back under the couch when I next went in, but no ...... she was out and came straight up to say hello! And ever since she's been generally perkier and more obviously pleased to seem me, and less conflicted and likely to suddenly nip or hiss. It's hard to explain, but her general demeanour is just happier and more confident and has remained so for the last couple of days. Which is brilliant. :D

I'm tempted to keep her, but my only concern is that she is still very wary of coming downstairs to join the others. I leave her door open every evening, and she has been down a few times to explore, but if she ever meets one of my gang she shoots straight back upstairs and doesn't come down again for days. She also sometimes hisses at my hand if I've just been stroking one of mine before I go in to see her (especially Merrick, for some reason). We have all the time in the world, so I don't mind that, but I suspect she might be happier in a quiet home of her own, so I'll not make a decision either way, keep her on the rescue's rehoming list and see how it goes. I've got very fond of her, she's lovely, but if the right home came forward I think it would be better for her if I let her go.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Teasel update

Post by Kay »

perhaps when they get grabbed a couple of times and then let go they stop fearing the worse, and relax

when I remember how careful I had to be not to touch my Tosker too suddenly, and now I spend half my day fending him off, I do wonder if once a timid cat has decided they are in a safe environment there is no going back

you're in rather a nice position with Teasel now - OK to let her go if a good home turns up, but OK to keep her if it doesn't
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks, Kay - I'd not thought of it that way, but yes, it is a good position to be in.

I think you might be right about being grabbed as well - 'the worst' has happenned, and it was OK so they get over it. I suspect the timing has to be right, though. After 3 months of slow improvement, I think Teasel had built up enough basic confidence for it to have worked out so well. :)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

totally agree with Kay; you're in a similar position I was with Lulu, the stray I had in my garden at the beginning of this year. She was sort of OK with my lot and they sort of OK with here and I knew I had the luxury of time to find just the right home for her and that there was no rush for her to be rehomed (and right home was found).

As for Teasel and the others, how would she react if you swapped bedding about, ie get two or three same blankets and let her have one and two downstairs and then on a weekly basis move them around. Or if she wouldn't cope with that, get just two blankets - use one downstairs for your lot and then take it upstairs and just leave it somewhere for a week. During that week use the 2nd blanket downstairs and then after a few days keep swapping the two blankets so upstairs always has a fresh scent of your gang?

But she's done really well; thank you for that update and fusses to all of yours x
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

What a great update :D

Definitely sounds like Teasel has turned a corner. I'm so pleased for you. She knows she can trust you now that you've held her and let her go. What a sweet little girl she is. Will be interesting to see what the future holds for you both.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks. :)

I did try scent-swopping before I first started to open the door to let her out, but I think I might take your advice, Ria, and try it again. Sometimes timing is everything, and perhaps she'll be more receptive now that she's in a more confident frame of mind.

Half of me really wants to keep her, but she seems like the sort of cat who would thrive on a close one-to-one relationship as an only cat and I really want to do the best for her. Spending all day in a small room on her own is OK for now, and much better for her than a noisy pen, but it's not a life.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

Lovely update :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Over the last week, Teasel has kept her new-found confidence and is so much more relaxed. For the last few mornings, when I've gone in to get her bowl she's been asleep on her cushion on the couch, and she's just rolled over, had a really good stretch on her side and chirruped at me for a neck scritch, looking up at me with those big green eyes. She's come such a long way, bless her. :)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Yay - go Teasel :D
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Aww how lovely :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I didn't say anything as I didn't want to jinx it, but Teasel had a visit today from a lovely couple who fell for her and want to offer her a home!!! :D

They're retired, children have left the nest, have no other pets and they've had a timid cat before and particularly wanted to offer a home to a shy cat that needed a chance. I could have hugged them both, they were so lovely and I liked the fact that they wanted to leave it a week or so before taking her on as they have people staying and thought it would be better for her if they waited until the house was quiet.

A bit bittersweet, as I've really fallen for her and would love to keep her, but in my heart of hearts I do feel that she would be happier as an only cat in a household that could give her that one-to-one attention.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Gosh, fancy that! What a fab couple. Teasel will have all the time in the world to settle down and find her paws. It will be a sad parting for you, Helen, but you know you have done wonders for this little girl. Did you see Paul O'Grady's For the Love of Dogs the other day? One of the VNs had been fostering the sweetest little girl Chihuahua and she was in tears as she went off to her lovely new home, she had bonded with her so much. She said that they say at Battersea that fostering is the best thing (for the furbabe) and the worst thing (for your emotions) you can do.

You have your big boy who might join your gang now though, don't you?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Baxter is in much the same position as Teasel was, it all depends on how well he settles in and gets on with the rest of the gang. Half of me feels that I should let him go, as he's such a lovely cat that he should have no problems finding a home, and that I should wait until a cat that's really struggling to find a home comes up - we do have a 'space' since we lost little Peaches. The other half of me, of course, is just besotted ........ :roll:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Lovely news Helen. :D Of course you will miss her, but you are right she will be much more content as an only cat. Perhaps the couple will keep in touch - I know I would. Well done Helen
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

That's really good news, hope she is very happy. It sounds a perfect home for her.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I just handed over the lovely Teasel to her new dad. They are a lovely couple, asked all the right questions and I'm sure she will be very happy with them.

It is hard, though - I did feel really mean shoving her in her box. She had come such a long way, and this week had started to rub round my ankles and roll over to let me stroke her tummy. Bittersweet.

I took this a few days ago to show her new mum and dad that she really does like a fuss, though please forgive the dreadful quality.

http://vid35.photobucket.com/albums/d15 ... 030317.mp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

oh she is beautiful - and definitely enjoying that :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

That's lovely to see. As you say, bittersweet. But you have that lovely little film and some happy memories. Hopefully they will keep in touch. Well done you for all your hard work getting her ready for her new home. (hugs) x
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Definitely bitter sweet but you knew what the right thing to do for Teasel was. Hopefully they'll keep you updated x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I just had a lovely update on Teasel. She's holed up under a bed but coming out for food and to use her tray, and has started to come out and sit near them sometimes. They have stroked her, and she has purred, so it's all looking pretty good for Teasel. :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Made my day, they sent me this pic today - she looks wonderfully relaxed and happy! :D

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/ ... athome.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Great news Helen and a lovely photo of a happy cat.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Lovely update, hopefully confirms to you that you made the right decision for lovely Teasel :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks Julia, and Sue. Yes, it absolutely does. :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I got a Christmas card from Teasel, saying how well she'd settled in. I answered it and thanked them by email.

Got a very brief reply this morning ..... "She's mullered our Christmas tree!!".

Says it all, and made me smile all day! :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Yay, got another Christmas card and update from Teasel and her family (if anyone remembers Teasel). Apparently their perseverance has paid off and she has become quite the diva! She likes a lot of fuss, comes and goes as she pleases and is apparently turning into an accomplished little hunter. Still quite a nervous cat, but comfortable in her home and above all, happy.

I'm so pleased to hear from them, it's lovely to get updates. Teasel was my first 'problem' foster cat, and hard as it was to part with her after all the time spent bringing her round and bonding with her, it's just wonderful to know that she's happy and that I made the right decision in letting her go.

:) :)
jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by jillyvillyvoo »

Och that's lovely Helen. Just read these for the first time. What a beauty! So lovely you get updates, especially such positive ones. Makes doing what you do all the more worthwhile when you get to see the results.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

I think it's so nice that adoptees keep you updated what's going on in their fur babies lives. And it's nearly Xmas which makes it so much more special.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I'm sure my Ziggy's fosterers were in the same position as you were with Teasel, he was terrified of everything but she worked so hard to bring him round, and I know it broke her heart to let him go. But like Teasel, while he's still a nervous scaredy cat, he's really happy and chilled out with us, and he copes with each new hurdle really well, and when he realises the world didn't end when I gave him a cuddle, he relaxed a bit more each time and now loves a hug. And so he gradually learns to cope with the world and become a happy happy. You did a great thing for Teasel, and I'm sure she and her new family will always be grateful, just as Zig and I are to his lovely fosterer Gillian.
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by suelily »

I love a happy ending and your wee cat has settled well by the picture of her lying on the bed. I think all of the people who do what you do are amazing. As you know I had to give my wee Lily back to the lady who rescues cats and she keeps me informed on how she is. Sheena is the ladies name and she has 10 week old brothers and 15 other cats all ages and sexes. I gave Sheena the climbing tree I bought for Lily and Sheena said Lily is cleaning the kittens and letting them on her tree but no other cats are allowed near it. Lily is having paw fights but stands her ground while the other cats back down but nothing major. So while the affectionate wee Lily who wouldn't even hiss at anyone is sticking up for herself(thanks to my cat Dexy) my Dexy who wouldn't even let anyone touch him is loving getting attention from everyone who visits(thanks to Lily) who taught him how to be nice and Dexy taught Lily how not to be nice. All in all both cats are happy and Dexy is loving being an only cat again. Though I still miss Lily so much after her being away for 3 weeks. It must be heartbreaking for you to let her go but very rewarding also to know that she is settled with her new parents.x