Cat litter (yet again )

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
mell-annie
Frequent Cat Chatter

Cat litter (yet again )

Post by mell-annie »

Does anybody know of a realy good litter to mask smells. I and my 3 cats are staying with a friend for about a month in a quite small flat and the smell of the litter tray is getting on her nrves, At the moment i am using "cats best " and it is not cheap but for a few weeks i don't mind paying more. Otherwise cats and myself will be homeless. :cry:
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat litter (yet again )

Post by Kay »

I have two open litter trays in my kitchen, and I use a very fine clumping litter - there are several kinds but am currently using this one http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_ ... sic/178584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do remove the clumps a couple of times a day, but can honestly say there is never any smell, and I only ever top up, as a complete change is unnecessary, so it works out very economically

I do always allow a good depth though, as this helps the cats dig and cover
Moo Bear
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Moo Bear »

I have used world's best and am currently using natures calling - both are made by applaws and are great :D
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

I'm surprised the Cats Best is smelling :? - how often do you clean the trays and how deep do you fill them?

I used to use a very fine clumping clay litter that was scented and worked really well - http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_ ... sic/209251" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I had to stop it because most of my cats are long or semi long haired and one in particular squats quite low when she wee's and it used to get stuck to her fur and you just couldn't clean her up

Another thing to try maybe is a covered litter box because that does also help a bit with reducing smells. I've got two but have had to removed the flap off both
mell-annie
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by mell-annie »

Thanks for the replies. Meriod, i clean the tray as soon as one of them uses it normally. The problem is usually at about 2-30 in the morning. The cats had well covered it up so i don't
know why this is so smelly. i have been using cats best for ages and this has only just started. Have odered the classoc litter so here's hoping. the coverd litter tray seems a good idea and i will order one of those
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

I swear by Sainsburys Clumping litter .. the grey cley pebbly stuff. The other supermarkets all do their own versions and they're all absolutely rubbish (they don't clump properly and they stink) but the Sainsburys own brand stuff in the blue bag is superb. I won't buy anything else. It's also super convenient as I can just pick up a bag from the shop when I'm running low.

I put a good few inches in the tray so it's nice and deep and I rarely have any problems with smells (as long as they bury after they're done). I clean it out once in the morning and once in the evening and it's always fine. I also have Bob Martin's litter freshener powder and I sprinkle a little in after each clean out... they go nuts for that - they always christen the tray straight afterwards hehe.

Anyway.. Sainsburys Clumping - that's my recommendation. It's not too pricey either compared to some mainstream brands!

http://csimg.leguide.com/srvprd/GB/6392 ... roduct.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - just so you know what the bag looks like hehe.

Oh also, as Kay mentioned above.. I always just top up too. I very rarely do a full clean of the tray as I rarely find it necessary; keeps the costs down too! And I also use a covered litter tray with no cat flap on the front. I got mine from Argos.. they do a good covered tray for a reasonable price and it's a nice size for larger cats :)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

As a matter of interest, what are you feeding them? Some foods seem to result in more smelly poo's than others.

But, to be honest if the trays are only smelling at 2 or 3am when the cats have just used them then there's little you can do. I hate to break this to your friend, but most poo smells - be it animal or human :lol:

Where are the litter trays - just wondering if you can move them at night, if need into your bedroom with a mat underneath? It may not be pleasant for you but at least then your friend can't really complain and it is only for a short time
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

No litter will stop the smell of poos - even covered ones, but some litters are good at neutralising the smell of urine. I thought Cat's Best was pretty good at that (although it doesn't clump well like it used to!)

Another clumping clay one I think is excellent, is this http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_ ... ter/186499" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I was buying it in Tesco as well but haven't seen it in there for a couple of months.

Tesco own premium clumping litter is almost as good too - it comes in a big plastic container.

Food plays a big part. I think Whiskas causes smelly poos, as does cheap, High cereal content foods like Go-Cat and Whiskas dry.
mell-annie
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by mell-annie »

Feeding them Agail and royal cannin. Have stopped letting them eat the GAIL at night and just have the RC. No smells since. I have recieved the classic litter but not tried it yet. Good ides about the bedroom and i was considerin it.
hopefully this will work.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Fingers crossed it will. You're really doing all you can and I do hope your friend realises and appreciates it.

Just a note re the RC dry food at night - you probably do anyway but just make sure there are enough water bowls around. They probably will drink more if they're eating more dry food than usual ;)
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Another thing you might want to consider is a Litter Locker. I have never tried one, but apparently they stop smells. I can't vouch for them, maybe others can. I have found that even with double bagging, I can still smell poos if they are in the kitchen bin. What I do now is keep a carrier bag on a hook in the garden and put bags of used litter in it until I am taking the rubbish out. I understand that isn't possible to do in a flat.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp? ... tAodxnEAqQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by MarkB on Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

Ohhh I wouldn't be without my litter locker.. best invention EVER. I can't say enough how awesome they are :)
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I know someone on here used to buy cheaper refills. I think they are the ones for disposable nappies.
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

Yeah the angelcare nappy refills..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Angelcare-Dispo ... ppy+refill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I get those too as they're WAY cheaper than the litter locker II refills even though they're basically identical. I had to put a bit of gaffa tape around the inside lip of my locker where the refill sits as there's just a tiny difference in size.. the angelcare nappy refills are maybe 2mm smaller so they used to slip through the hole sometimes but the gaffa fixed the problem.

Makes it affordable :) The refills last ages too. I have two indoor cats and I maybe change the litter locker refill once a month or so.. if that! If you have an indoor cat or a cat who uses the tray a lot I can't recommend the litter locker enough.. there's absolutely zero smell and instead of running in and out of the house with nappy sacks I just shovel the waste into the litter locker, pull the handle to drop it into the compartment and just shut the lid and go back to what I was doing. I empty the locker about once a week as it takes a while to fill up :) I don't often rave about things but this is totally worth my enthusiasm.
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Mollysmummy »

We used to use a clumping litter, however we have switched to wood and find that it hides smells much better.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I suppose the Angelcare container could be used instead of a Litter Locker? - a lot cheaper :)
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

Yeah it could probably be used instead I should imagine! But I like that I get the scoop and the scoop holder on the side of litter locker - the locker is about £20 whereas you can get the angelcare for about £13 so I didn't mind paying the differece but I'm sure either would work nicely!
I'm not sure how the angelcare mechanism works as the litterlocker has a catch on the front that you pull to drop the litter through - the angelcare looks more elegant as if it has a better mechanism; not sure! :) Would be interesting to know if anyone ever gets one hehe.