New Cat advise

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
msalsa
Experienced Cat Chatter

New Cat advise

Post by msalsa »

Hello

I have been on this site a long time ago but have forgotten all my details! so have had to re sign up!
It has been a year since my poor cat was in an RTA and I had to have him PTS.
As you can imagine it was a very traumatic time and it has taken many months to get over my loss and to be honest I do not think that I will ever get over it in a way.
Anyhow the time has come to think of a new fury friend and I need advice as I am confused with the different advice receieved from CP.
I do not want another RTA so was thinking of getting an indoor cat with an out door add on enclosure in the garden....to be built in the summer next year.
Should I get two kittens and keep them indoors therefor they do not know the outside world....not sure on this idea.
Or get an older cat and wait for one that naturaly doesn't go out much and will want to stay at home.
I am worried if I get a cat that has to be indoors due to health ect that it may be very unhappy indoors. and I will be forever trapping it inside.
I do not want another RTA on my hands and would rather have no cat at all than that but miss a fury friend and any advise would be welcome

Thank you in advance
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: New Cat advise

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi msalsa,

I can really understand you not wanting that sort of history repeating itself. :(

Does your local shelter have any indoor-only cats looking for a new home?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm sorry for the loss of your cat, I lost a cat to an RTA myself a couple of months ago and it's awful, I really feel for you.

It's lovely that you feel ready to offer a cat a home again, but I can well understand your concerns. Personally, I'd go for an adult cat that needs (and is used to) an indoor home for health or some other good reason, and if you do then go ahead and get an outdoor enclosure you will know that you have provided the very best environment that the cat can have. The problem with kittens is that you never know what sort of cat they might grow into. It would be a shame to have a kitten and realise, as it grows up, that what you have a very energetic, naturally 'outdoorsy' type of cat.

You'll also have the pleasure of knowing that you have given a home to a cat that really needed your help. Good luck in your search - a good rescue will advise and help you find the right cat.
Hunnybunny
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hunnybunny »

Get a cat that NEEDS restricted access as there are so few opportunities for these cats especially that will have the luxury of an outside enclosure.

Its a complete myth that if a cat has never been outside it will not be missing anything. You can't suppress natural instinct and the great outdoors and all it holds IS a cats natural instincts and so you will very likely end up with (like so many indoor cats with blinkered owners) 2 very unhappy and stressed kitties.

PLEASE give 1 or 2 deaf/blind/old cats a wonderful life. The rewards will be enormous and yes you may not have the pleasure of the bundles of cuteness and fluff but thats short lived. The kittens won't really struggle to get homes and fingers crossed will get homed with safe free access to live fully fulfilled feline lives.
msalsa
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by msalsa »

Hello

Thank you so much for all of your advise, I have decided to sit and wait for the right cat to come along. I am sure in time there will be a home bird cat who will not want to wander too far and be happy to stay in or in an outside pen, attached to to the house.
I will keep my eyes peeled and I know in time a needy cat will come my way.

Thank you :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

That's usually the way! Most of our cats (and dogs) found their way to us -we didn't go looking for them. :D Good Luck
Tara1984
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Tara1984 »

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your cat. I also had the same thing with my cat. He got ran over about 3 weeks ago and he died and I didnt know what I will do without him. I cried for the first few days, he was everything to me!! I still do miss him and think about him a lot. I find if I dont spend too much time at home then it doesnt hit me as hard. I have thought about getting another one, it was so much fun having a pet in the home and you get attached to them.

A few weeks ago I saw lots of kittens online that I liked the look of but now they have all gone, its sods law! I have been in contact with a cat shelter but they are saying they require me to have a cat flap so I think thats out as well. Hopefully I will be able to try a different cat shelter.