Constipated Kitty

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
its_so_fluffy
New Cat Chatter

Constipated Kitty

Post by its_so_fluffy »

Hi,

My poor 2 yr old was diagnosed with Flu this Tuesday, so she was given painkillers
and anti-antibiotics and advised to keep her in for a 7 days. Wednesday she did
not poop in her litter box, so she was taken to the vets and given microlax enema.
She came back from Vets and after 10 mins pooped. She Pooped on Thursday, but
no poop on Friday, took her to the Vets today, found she had a few stools in her, temperature
ok, but a little bit dehydrated (I had given her some water via plastic syringe, but
obviously not enough) So Vets advised us administrating her with microlax enema,
and giving her 10mls of water every 2 hours. They also advised to give her cat
version of Dioralyte, however they have none in stock so will get some and give us a call.
So we came back from Vets, hubby carried out enema and in under 10 mins, she pooped.

Is it possible she might be a cat that does not go every day(not knowing her toilet habits
as she goes outside most of the time)or has it been bought on by having the flu and
it's a behavioral thing as she loves to go outside ?

I was also wondering about stocking up on either Microlax or Katalax ?

I am very worried, as a few years back I had to have my 14yr old cat be put to sleep
as she was suffering from regular constipation. Vets had to unbung (sorry for the term)
her a few times and in the end they advised it was possible nerve damage that was causing her not
to poop and kindest thing was to put her to sleep.

Sorry for so many questions.

Its So Fluffy
andtiggertoo
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Constipated Kitty

Post by andtiggertoo »

Are you in the UK?

I'm not sure it's that unusual for a cat to poo only every other day. Our Millie seems to have settled down to do that.

What do you feed her? If you feed her dry food, could you change to wet so it keeps her better hydrated?

Could you add something like psyllium husks to her food to make sure she is getting enough fibre? Or cooked pumpkin is good as well to add a bit to her food. We add about half a capsule of psyllium husks to Millie's supper, and mix in a good tablespoon of water. She has settled on wet food, which I'm quite glad about, because dry was making her even more constipated.

Having said all that, it could well be behavioural. If she is used to going outside, she might feel uncomfortable going inside. And has she been vaccinated against cat flu?
its_so_fluffy
New Cat Chatter

Post by its_so_fluffy »

I'm in the UK.

Have only been feeding her wet food, as Vet suggested that, and to be honest she does prefer it :)

I made the decision to let her out today, she promptly went out and had a wee :) she had only ate about a pouch of food yesterday and today since she has been out, she had already eaten a pouch :)

Obviously I can't check she has pooped, but I was told by the vet, that cats poop when there is another poop to push it, so i'm wondering if she wasn't constipated but had not eaten enough, for poop to be pushed out.

I have given her some water by syringe, have been doing the check of pulling up her fur by the scruff and it has gone down quickly.

She is much happier now she can go out. I am though, going to keep her in at night for a few days as it is now getting cooler.
Nikki C
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Nikki C »

I gave my little man bran flakes soaked in warm water and then mixed into his food.

That seems to have worked so you could try that