Help / advice cats ears twitching over sensitive to sound ?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
hollyberry
Returning Cat Chatter

Help / advice cats ears twitching over sensitive to sound ?

Post by hollyberry »

My female cat is 14 very healthy loves food going out very chatty etc but i,ve noticed recently if i click the remote control on the tv her ears flick quite alot also if i make kissing sounds to her. it appears she is very sensitive to these high pitched sounds,does anyone have any idea what this could be ? Obviously i,ll take her to the vet but i,m wondering if its just her age and shes going deaf.
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Help / advice cats ears twitching over sensitive to sou

Post by exlibris »

I’m no expert (definitely the vet needs to be asked) but sometimes usual behaviour in an older cat might be due to mental issues. My little female, Twitch (13 years), sometimes starts yowling in the night. If I go all the way downstairs I discover that she wants something but doesn’t really know what it is and/or where it is. I have to pick her up and bring her to her already full food bowl or back up stairs to sleep on our bed. We think she’s getting a bit senile. However this doesn’t happen all the time and (irritatingly) it only happens in the early hours of the morning. It may be that your cat is occasionally confused and sudden noises are startling her.
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Help / advice cats ears twitching over sensitive to sou

Post by sarie »

Exlibris - FYI night yowling is one of the symptoms of hyperthyroidism. I know you're getting blood work done for Twitch though so hopefully if she's showing signs of hyperT then they'll pick it up. If not, perhaps it's worth just checking that your vet runs a thyroid panel when they do her blood work :)

Sorry, I know that doesn't help you Holly!