TRY AGAIN FOR ADVICE !!!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

TRY AGAIN FOR ADVICE !!!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hello everyone, I am copying and pasting this on here as other that Carol and HRH Fluffy I have not received any response on Health and Behaviour and it's something I am worried about, so hoping I get more help here !

Hello again....it's coming up to that time, when Barney is crying to go outside, he has never ventured outside since we had him last October. Our garden is very large and enclosed with no main roads anywhere within distance as it's quite rural, we have neighbours with cats, though they don't come into the garden because of Fi (Our soft Samoyed dog!) though she would never hurt them. So if any of you lovely people can help me yet again on firstly, the best safety collar to buy for him and secondly any tips on what to do on his first trip outside...I have had lots of tips from the Blue Cross where we adopted him from, but would appreciate some personal stories....thank you...x :? :(
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: TRY AGAIN FOR ADVICE !!!

Post by Jacks »

Hello Julie!

Well, yes it's a dilemma but it's also a very personal thing - and everyone's circumstances are different. I guess it depends how much you want him to stay in the garden in sight of you and whether you can cat proof the garden if you don't want him to wander... otherwise you have to trust him, and I know that's very hard.

A lovely picture of Barney, by the way! As you know I have three - they are mainly indoor and go out on request but only when one of us is home. So they don't have totally free access. When I got them there was no request to go out over the winter, but in the May when we started gardening they wanted to come out too. We have a very small garden with overhanging plants, sheds and garages around and we knew if we let them out we'd have to trust them to come back. It was either freedom to roam or no access. I chose in the end to trust them, hard as it is.

Sophie had been inside for 7 months but was obviously experienced and after sniffing some plants with delight and rolling on the concrete with pure joy she went to the back of the garden, up and over the fence and was gone. 20 minutes later she was back, trotted indoors and settled down to preen. She has done that ever since - never out of the garden longer than 20 minutes. Jessie (ex-feral, born at the bottom of the garden) had been in 10 months. It took her 4 days to venture to the back of the garden again and she never goes more than one garden away on any side and comes back when called... Lara had been in 8 months and was only a tiny kitten when she'd originally been found in a bucket. After 3 days sniffing the garden she was over the fence and up to mischief, going missing for several hours, stuck up a tree, stuck somewhere overnight... but over the last 8 months she has learned not to go too far and to come back every 2 hours for treats. I always tell her I love her when she goes out and to come home soon to Mummy... I love Lara to bits but I know she NEEDS to be outside adventuring - but she is learning to do it on my terms - not too long at a time, not too far, never at dusk or at night and not if there's a lot of traffic around or the bins haven't been collected... she has to be protected from things she doesn't understand.

Trusting is hard, and you don't know what their pattern will be like until you let them go - I hope Barney will be like Sophie - with a memory of being lost and roaming and no desire to lose their home again. I'm sure if you've got a big garden he will love the sunshine, the smells and all the new interest. Most people say let them out the first time before feeding, then they should be back soon anyway. It's probably a very sensible thing to do.

As for collars, I use the cheapest quick-release NON stretchy collars from my local pet shop. They do the job fine. Sophie has never lost hers - Jessie has lost them tussling with Lara at home but I've given up on hers now as she never wanders - Lara has been through quite a lot - they work well and if she's ever caught they will snap apart immediately. Don't have them too loose, or they'll snag on things too easily; don't ever use the solid buckle collars as they won't give way if Barney gets trapped on anything. The stretch ones are dangerous too as the elastic will give instead of the catch snapping apart.

Dear Barney - I'm sure he'll enjoy the fresh air and if you take some toys out with you the first time he might see it more as together time than wander-off time.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do - and whatever you choose you'll make the right decision because you love him and you know him better than anyone.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi Jacks....thank you so much for responding.....he can't jump very high as the rescue seem to think he suffered a trauma to his back so he is limited with agility.....I will make sure that both me and hubby at home when the first introduction to the outside world is made as I have few days holiday booked as does hubby.....he is also very clingy with us....I will sprinkle some of his litter in the garden as advised and hope for the best ......
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Hi Jule

If Barney is confident enough, on a nice day I would open the door and go into the garden myself. Act fairly normally (ie don't appear to make an issue of it). From my experience they don't venture far at first and regularly run back in.

We have cat proofed our large garden so we know they are safe.

All four of our gang enjoy being out there.

Let us know how you get on :D
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

When you let him out for the first time, do it when he's hungry so he has a reason to come back. Try and train him to respond to you rattling a treat tin so he associates coming back with good things. As Val says don't make a big deal out of it, just potter around in the garden and let him explore at his own pace. Leave the door open so he can retreat back inside if he feels uncertain.

The Kitty Collars safety collars are great and do release when needed. Make sure you get him an ID tag (I got mine these: http://www.pettags.co.uk/index.php?act= ... ductId=214" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and had it engraved with my mobile number, microchipped and please scan. I also have a Loc8tor tag on Noodle's collar, she's got trapped inside my neighbours garage (she's nosey) and I was able to quickly locate her. I buy the batteries from eBay and replace them every 3-4 months although they do last longer I don't want to take any chances.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by mr_frisky »

I tend to go out with my lot when they venture beyond the garden, especially when it's getting dark. I have had Loc8tor tags on collars in the past so you can track them if they're hiding.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Hi Julie. You know you've got to keep us up to date now don't you :) . I will be thinking about you as you start Barney's new adventure. So pleased you've got so much great advice. Give the lovely boy a tickle tummy from me xxx
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

JulieandBarney wrote:Hello everyone, I am copying and pasting this on here as other that Carol and HRH Fluffy I have not received any response on Health and Behaviour and it's something I am worried about, so hoping I get more help here ! :? :(

I don't know if anyone else is making the same "mistake" as myself - I find if I'm in a hurry that I tend to forget to check all the sections, as I'm only getting one notification per day now (always "Delectable Dora's Daily Dashings"). If I could see the titles of threads/questions I probably wouldn't forget, or at least miss as many posts as I am, but it's a matter of getting used to the new forum I suppose.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thank you all.....it will be a worrying first time, as poor fella can't jump high and I don't want him to feel 'spooked' as such, and feels he can't jump anywhere, I will follow all your ideas and hope to post that he comes running back in, the patio doors will remain open !!....xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Carol....I gave him the tickle tummy from you....you can guess what I got ? ....A darn good bunny kicking and a good old bite.....!!!!...I think that's his way of saying 'Thank you ' !!......He looks so innocent in his photo, heaven knows how !!!....xx :roll:
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Hello Julie

Sorry I didn't respond. It is demoralising when a post doesn't seem to attract people's attention. My excuses are that I was away Friday to Sunday, but more particularly is that my gang are still indoor and apart from Pepsi having a little explore of our new garden, we're not ready for them to go out till we have our garden cat proofed. We can't risk them going over the fence as the Upper Richmond Road is too close and too busy day and night. To be honest, I know other cats do roam in the area, but I'm not prepared to risk it. I would also be very concerned for Lou Lou who is so very tiny, fragile and shy. But as soon as the garden is cat proofed, we will be introducing them all to the outdoor world. Pepsi loves her perambulations in the garden and since she is too old to jump the fence, she can stroll at her ease as long as we are with her. Once the cat proofing and new fences are up she won't need us with her either.

Your beautiful Barney will enjoy his adventures, I'm sure, and he knows you are his Mummy and will be rushing back for cuddles. xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Oh Julie you are right about the fact that Barney looks soooo innocent on his photos. Made me laugh when you said he gave you his bunnykick and bite combination. He is just adorable and VERY mischievous :D xx
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Barney looks like Batman!! x
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Hi Julie. Is there anything to report yet about Barney's new adventure?