Basil not eating

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Basil not eating

Post by Crewella »

Poor old Basil, who is normally a pig and eats anything, hasn't really eaten anything since Saturday morning. I took him down to the vets on Monday evening where they said he was running a temperature and gave hime an antibiotic shot and a Metacam shot. No obvious reason for the temperature (no vomiting or poo problems), but he seemed to have a sore tummy. He ate about 1/3 of a pouch that night and again the next morning but, I'm guessing when the Metacam wore off, he then went back to not eating. We've tried everything we can think of, opened every packet, cooked fish and chicken, warmed it up, sprinkled fish food on it, tuna, and all he's managed is a couple of small pieces of chicken which I practically pushed down him, rubbing it on his lips, and a few laps of milk.

I took him back to the vet yesterday where his temperature was still high (though lower than it had been) and, as expected, they kept him in on a drip as he was getting pretty dehydrated, but he's not eaten anything there yet either. They've done blood tests and I'm waiting for the results, and they've also tested for pancreatitis. Does anyone have experience of pancreatitis? I've not come across it before.

Poor little soul, he looks miserable and I'm really worried about him.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Basil not eating

Post by greenkitty »

I don't have any advice but hope lovely Basil is soon on the mend x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks Julia. He had such a rotten year last year with his broken leg, weeks and weeks in a crate on cage rest, the original abandonment and then having to learn to live with the rest of my gang after 9 years as an only cat. This seems really unfair - it's only in the last couple of months that I've felt he was properly happy and settled. :(
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

A friend of mine on FB also has a cat who has gone off his food - very similar symptoms to Basil. It's taken about a week but he now seems to be on the mend.

Last year Monty had a similar thing as well and it took three different antibiotics to sort him out - turns out he had tonsilitis poor boy - he really was miserable for a good few weeks.

No personal experience of pancreatitis (un)fortunately; but gather it's nothing to be messed about with so hopefully the blood test will rule that out.

Fusses to your gorgeous boy; I really hope he's feeling better very soon (((hug)))
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Aww Crewella...I hope he starts eating soon. I know all too well the stress that comes when your cat stops eating with few reasons as to why. You know the story of my Shelly.

I hope he picks up very soon. Has your vet ruled out mouth/dental problems?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks Ria, that's heartening. I've not personally had a cat not eat for this long and come back from it, so that's good to know.

And thanks, Diana, there's no problem with his mouth that we can see, and his problems don't seem to be with chewing ...... he just looks sickened by food altogether. However, we've not really ruled anything out at this stage. Still waiting for the blood test results.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Bless Basil. Well lets wait on those results for now, if that is all good then I guess you may have to do some searching.

I really hope he picks up, its dreadful when they don't eat.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I've just spoken to the vet nurse, he's now eaten a small amount but not much and he still has a temperature, so he's staying in tonight to keep his fluids up. Still, that's something. No results as yet, and he said the pancreatitis test takes longer than the regular bloods, so it might be tomorrow before we get them. I'm going down to see him this evening.

Thanks all, and thanks Diana - you must be still reeling and it's good of you to take the time to answer. (((hugs)))
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Truth is I am still quite upset. But I have that sense of calm cause I had this dream which I posted on my thread. Plus...I knew it was right, the last couple weeks she got more tired as days went on. I just brought a frame and got a photo developed with her, so that's up and showing. She is forever missed though!!!

He ate a small bit which is great, its better then nothing. It does take a little time before they perk up, my Evie went in early this year cause she began vomiting and refused to eat and it turns out she caught a stomach bug. She was at the vets for approx. 5hrs before she began to eat. Hopefully later on he will eat bit more, but remember a tiny bit is better then not eating at all so this is good news.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Sorry Helen, I don't have anything to add, other than I hope he is OK by the morning. I know how worrying it is :(

From the little I know about pancreatitis, it is quite painful and a low fat diet is the way to go.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks Mark.

Poor little sod, I just went down to see him and take him some 'home' food and he was very lethargic, curled up in his basket and just about managed to raise his head when I went in. He did purr and try to have a lick of his food for me, but he was obviously still feeling pretty ropey.

However, the blood test results turned up whilst I was there and I just happened to catch both vets that have seen him as they were discussing the results by his pen. Mostly nothing out of the ordinary, but his bilirubin levels were very high and apparently showing some sort of issue with his gall bladder/bile duct. They're going to try him on Destolit now and see how he is in the morning. All paws here crossed that the drugs help him overnight.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Oh basil, please eat. Bless him. I hope the results now point to a reason why he is not eating. Lets hope the drugs get working and during the night he will perk right up. Did the vets explain how his bilirubin levels became raised?

Crewella did you get that email?
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Poor Basil. Did they give him anything else other than Destolit? - It is a very slow-acting drug that dissolves gallstones (only if there are made of cholesterol) over a matter of weeks/months - so they wouldn't have an overnight effect as far as I know. Hopefully anti-inflammatories will help though.

Laz has been on Destolit for a couple of months now (1/4 tablet a day)
Last edited by MarkB on Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Meandmymunki »

I lost my miffy aged 17 last year and she had 3 pancreatitis flare ups in her last 5 years of life, just like basil just went off food and became weak and ended up on a drip each time, each flare up took about a week for her to start to improve and eat, she was so weak and thin normally bless her and each time we were amazed she bounced back. She had strong painkillers (I think it was vetegesic) each time and they gave her a drip containing extra nutrients, can't remember what it was but the fluid in it was yellow. Guess we were lucky that flare ups were few and far between but she always fully recovered.

Hope basil is feeling better soon.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Wonder if the results indicate cholangiohepatitis, snowy had that but its 10 years ago so I cant remember what was raised, just that it was picked up after her not eating
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thank you all, it really helps to know that other cats have got through something similar. The vet had only just seen the results when we spoke, he just said it was the first clue and he now knew what direction to start looking in, and that we'd speak tomorrow. I have great faith in my vet, he got us through Alpha's glaucoma and cancer and Daz's urinary problems, and I'm sure he'll get us through this ...... if it can be done. After a period of about 10 years without a decent vet and having suffered several unsatisfactory ones, it makes such a difference to have a vet I trust at last and to know that Basil is in safe hands.

If I understood correctly, I think he said the Destolit would help the bile duct, so perhaps it's faster-acting in that capacity? We'll have to wait and see, I guess, with everything crossed. I'll report back.

Thanks again to everyone for all your support, it's so much appreciated. xx

**Thanks Diana, I've responded. xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Helen, Thinking of you and your boy Basil. I hope he is soon on the mend.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

Sorry to hear Basil is poorly, so worrying when they're off their food. A few years ago my cat had the same symptoms as yours and turned out to be cholangiohepatitis. After a few days in 'hospital' and then home syringe feeding him, he made a full recovery. Here's hoping Basil is feeling better very soon.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Dear Helen, sorry to have only just caught up with this. Poor Basil and poor you. How worrying. Have any x rays or ultra sound been suggested? Our vet said yesterday that pancreatitis is often hard to diagnose. Thinking of you and your boy. Keep us posted. Xx
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Helen how is Basil this morning? Hope he had a good night.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Well, I've spoken to the vet nurse and apparently Basil is a bit brighter this morning, his temperature is down and he has had a little to eat. Phew! :)

I'm waiting to speak to the vet, but hopefully he's turned a corner.

Thanks for all the good wishes!
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Oh Helen I am so glad Basil seems brighter and has eaten a bit. This is really good news, small steps but its going in the right direction.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh, that's a relief. Good boy, Basil. Keep it up!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Just had a chat with the vet, he's happy that they're on the right track with the Destolit, which points to Cholangitis, and he wants to keep Basil in tonight to keep the fluids running and make sure he really is recovering and starting to eat again. I'm going down later for a visit and to take him some more 'home' food.

Daz has deposited half a bunny in the dining room fireplace, right near where Basil's bowl usually is. I don't know if I'm supposed to take it to him but, sorry Daz, I'm not turning up at the vets with half a bunny! :?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Fusses to Basil.

Nice one Daz :lol:
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Helen I'm so pleased that Basil seems brighter today.

Must have been such a worry for you but at least now he is in the best place and getting the right treatment. Your vet sounds great. Makes all the difference to find a vet you can trust. Hope Basil is happy to see you.

Had to smile at Daz. Never a dull moment for you in your household :D
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Great news Helen :)

re the Destolit. Maybe I have it wrong, but I understood it gradually dissolved any stones in the bile duct to allow proper drainage. I guess if it started dissolving straight away, the flow would improve. Anyway, whatever the case, the main thing is it sounds like he is on the mend :)
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Oh bless Daz :)

Pleased to hear Basil seems to be heading in the right direction, keeping everything crossed for your boy.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks guys. :)

He was still a very poorly boy when I went to see him, but he did sit up properly and meow a greeting when I went in, which is better than yesterday, and he did eat five or six mouthfuls of food for me whilst I was there, before he lay back down as if exhausted by the effort. He's not out of the woods yet, but hopefully things will continue to improve.

Mark, I've been researching Destolit and came up with this, which was quite interesting - the active ingredient of Destolit is ursodeoxycholic acid:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=RpsR ... TS&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pandorawarlord
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by pandorawarlord »

so pleased he has eaten with you and hope he continues to improve.