Basil not eating

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Basil not eating

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Thinking of your boy this morning. Hope he has had a good night and is brighter for you today.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Hope he is improving still Helen.

Interesting article. Not thar I understand most of it :) - but it seems to do more than just dissolve cholesterol stones.

Laz had his blood restested after a few weeks on it. The enzymes were still raised so the vet said to continue with it. The article seems to say that it is a good idea to use to improve liver & gall bladder function from what I could understand. I was going to speak to the vet about discontinuing it, but it looks like it might be a good idea to carry on. In Laz's case, it was because the vet said his confusion might be down to toxins reaching his brain if his gallbladder isn't getting rid of waste products from his liver properly - he said it is fairly common in older cats.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I struggled with that article too, but it did help give a bit of background, and I think I got the general gist of it! :D

I spoke to the nurse and Basil is a little brighter again this morning, and has eaten a bit more of the food I left him. They want to keep him in and on the fluids for one more night as he's still not eating quite enough, but think that if he continues to improve at this rate he can probably come home tomorrow. Hurrah! :D :D
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

So pleased Basil is improving :)
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

Keeping everything crossed that lovely Basil can come home today x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thank you both. I've just been down there to take Baxter to be neutered, and Basil is much better. They left him two kinds of food in his pen last night and apparently he ate the lot! That's the Basil I know and love - you can imagine how pleased I am! :D

They want to run the last of the fluids for Basil through today, and I've just had a call to say Baxter has come round after his op OK too, so I will be picking both boys up this evening. :D
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Great news, Helen. Relief all round from Basil's CC friends. Hope Baxter has a good recovery.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Phew :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

It is great news, thanks!

The other good news is that they cannot say exactly what caused it but, as with many cases of cholangitis/cholangiohepatitis like Basil's, there should be no lasting damage and it isn't likely to be an ongoing problem for him. :)
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Good news!!! So pleased. Basil well done boy!

Because of Shelly every time I hear a cat isn't eating I become so worried, but I am glad Basil pulled through. Lucky you, you got your boys coming home tonight.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

That's good news - I remember when Snowy had cholangeohepatitis it said the prognosis was good and that they can just have it as a one off. Hopefully that will be the case with him.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Meandmymunki »

My Meg has been the same all weekend, emergency vets yesterday gave methadone for poss spinal injury, my own vets have admitted on drip with first bloods indicating pancreatitis :( she is only a year old.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Meandmymunki »

Ah really pleased for basil tho :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Oh no, I'm so sorry - I know exactly how worried you must be. (((hugs)))

Everything crossed for poor Meg, let us know how she gets on - I'm assuming they are doing more tests?
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Meandmymunki »

Thank you, they have sent bloods off to lab for confirmation with the 'real' pancreatitis test but he seems quite sure it's what she has and said it was a 'guarded prognosis' as not all recover :(

It's really shocked me as it was so far from what I was expecting, she is in on a drip and vetergesic for the foreseeable and will have to wait and see.......
pandorawarlord
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by pandorawarlord »

I think its going to be party tonight at Crewella's, so pleased Basil is better
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

A big thank you to everybody for all your support, it's lovely to have Basil home and on the mend. He's still not back up to full speed, but he's eating a lot better and has curled up in his favourite spot with a sigh of relief. Apart from getting up a few times to ask for food (we're doing little and often until he's completely better) he's been asleep on there all day!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/ ... 030303.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

He's probably relieved to be at home and be able to sleep peacefully. Pleased he's home, please give him a fuss from me x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Done, thanks Julia. :)

Meandmymunki, is there any news on your Meg? How's she doing?
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Meandmymunki »

Thanks for asking crewella, Meg is a conundrum! We have to wait 2 weeks for bloods to come back from the states for confirmation, she is now home on morphine 3 times a day and is eating and pottering about for fuss, but isn't right still and doesn't seem to be fully mobile on her back end, sort of 'plops' down the stairs to get down and is still very quiet, vet has said we have 2 options, one is to wait for bloods and just manage her as we are, or they can start further tests like x Rays and ultrasounds in case they missing something.
She is so pleased to be home so for at least rest of this week I'm going to just let her be but not sure what's next!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Poor Meg. I hope you get to the bottom of her problems soon. How worrying for you. Roll on two weeks. Gentle fusses to your girl and (hugs) to you.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I think I'd be tempted to just let her be for a few days too. Poor Meg, give her a fuss from me and I hope you do manage to get to the bottom of what's wrong. xx
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Helen, glad Basil is on the mend :) - I guess it will take a while for him to recover fully.

Sally, fingers crossed for Meg. Really worrying. I'm surprised that there is nowhere in the UK can can do the test - I guess America is ahead of us with some things.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks Mark, he's getting better every day - today he's started wailing for his dinner again. It used to drive me nuts, but I was so pleased to hear it! :D
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Meandmymunki »

Thanks everyone :)
Yes I was suprised it has go off to the states too, apparently its a snap test initially then goes off to get exact figures back and the higher it is the worse it is apparently, but he also said there shall chance snap test was false positive so investigations could be back to square one after we get results!
But he thinks everything fits with pancreatitis so we have to go with it for now....

Sorry for hijacking Basil's thread and I'm really pleased he on the mend!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

It's fine - don't worry, I asked! :)

(As Basil's better, maybe some of the luck will rub off on Meg - please feel free to keep posting. I'd like to know how she's doing anyway) xx
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

So glad about Basil.

Sending positive and healing thoughts to dear Meg. x
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Meandmymunki »

Meggys results are back already, she definitely has pancreatitis, the numbers on the test are 0-3.5 normal, 4-6 mild pancreatitis and 6 plus severe, she is 7.5 :(
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Good Grief, there's no doubting those results! Poor Meg. At least you know for sure what the problem is. What happens now?

Fusses to the little girl
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Meandmymunki »

That's the worst bit, nothing happens now..... There is no treatment and no cure, all they can do is drip and painkillers when she gets a flare up, but that's what's unknown at the moment, could be weekly or once every few years, no one knows! She has to have low cal bland food but she was already on bland as wonky has a bad tummy so she has rc sensible and hills sensitivity, both of which are supposed to be what Meg can have but she was already on that when she got Ill so I'm not expecting that to help much!!!